Bike
  • 1h 00m 04s
  • 18.16 miles
  • 18.14 Mi/hr

Coach Troy LP Training Video

91.7 RPM Avg ... which is very high for me. Normally around 83. I like more power than spin, but Coach Troy says this will help me spin faster in the lower gears. I'll give it a whirl.

Day #2: Home with a little girl who has an ear infection.  Once again no Swim.  Actually, I probably would've thrown on my Sugoi ski mask-thingy and gone Mountain Biking!  Maybe tomorrow.  Have to wait till the wife gets home and then I can Run (with the few minutes of light that are left) and maybe jump on the Trainer.  I should, I will get on the Trainer. 

There was a good article by Andy Potts in last months Triathlete Magazine where he pretty much says he came to Triathlon as a Swimmer.  While some people told him to put his Swimming to the side and focus on Running and Biking, he decided against that advice and instead kept Swimming just as much, and brought his running and biking up to the level of his swimming.  I would like to try that.  I would really like to maintain my running (as it's never been at this level before) and I'd like to get my biking and swimming up to that same level.  If I could do that, I'd be sitting pretty.  And I do realize this means I must commit a lot more time to Biking and Swimming -- and I plan to do just that... once my daughter is better :) 

• Health data: Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 4
Run
  • 23m 55s
  • 3.20 miles
  • 07m 28s /Mi

Started Aerobic and went slightly Tempo because it was getting really dark, really quick. In my approx 4.5 years of running, my legs have never felt so amazingly good and strong. I feel like a real runner :)

Bike
  • 45m 06s
  • 14.33 miles
  • 19.06 Mi/hr

Jorge Week 4 Q1

5 X 2' looks so simple, easy and innocent; it's so not! My quads were shredded and hurting by the final interval.

Oh, and I used a FAN for the first time ever. WOW, what a difference. I sweat about 80% less now :) I have no idea how I did all these trainer sessions this year and last year without a fan. No wonder I hated the damn thing so much! I AM SUCH AN IDIOT!! :) But in my defense, my trainer is next to a huge window, but it's still not the same. I actually, kinda sorta like the trainer now. Go figure.

Oh, and speaking of being an idiot, I got two flats on the trainer! Which led me to cutting the CD out of the workout cause I'd already spent too much time in the garage.

Daughter has an ear infection.  She's home with me again today.  Got a 10:30 doctor's appt this morning.  So much for my Swim today. 

Tonight's the night I'm going to get back on the drainer.  I just know it :)

• Health data: Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 4

My feet are a little sore this morning.  I guess they aren't used to running in flats.  I'm still pinching myself and can't believe I ended this year with an elusive sub 20 5k.  I keep thinking, Three Seconds.  I cannot believe I came in three seconds under.  It's such a slim margin of time.  I am so grateful and thankful. 

I planned to get on the drainer last night, but then remembered I was having a dozen dinner guests over!  And they didn't leave till 11:00.  Was supposed to go Mountain Biking with Mike (mscotthall) this morning, but we figured the rain and wind made a mess of the trails yesterday and (with my poor mtb skills) figured it wiser to go next Sunday.  My Aunt from Florida is up to today so I have to take the family to see her.  Hopefully I'll get some running and biking in later this afternoon. 

• Health data: Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 4 Hours slept: 9.5
Run #1
  • 04m 12s
  • 0.57 miles
  • 07m 22s /Mi

Warm Up

Run #2
  • 19m 57s
  • 3.13 miles
  • 06m 22s /Mi

Seaford Hot Chocolate 5K Race Report

Sept 16th 2006 was my first Road Race ever. Around that time I set some "Dream" Goals" for myself. One of them was a sub 20 5k. I chased this goal for a few years now. Today the Dream became a Reality.

With overcast skies, a light blanket of sleet raining down, I decided to go for broke (last race of the year) and I went with my racing flats.

The course was flat, fast, and only had 4 turns. http://www.seafordwellness.com/HotChocolateCourseDescription.html

It also had a decent field of (I believe 300+). I decided this race to actually use my Garmin to my advantage. I knew I had to keep my pace at 6:20 or better. I blessed myself, seated myself on the inside front line, and off we went. I started out a touch easier than the Turkey trot, and I kept looking at my Garmin to keep my pace at 6:20 or under. I didn't once look at the overall time; just the pace.

The first mile wasn't too bad. My plan all along was to maintain for the first two blocks, and then on the second turn -- which led to a lonnng straight away -- to begin letting it all out. That mile was painful but still not too bad.

I hit mile two around 12:40! (They had digital displays at every mile). I knew I was within striking distance. I'd been at this point at other 5k's, I knew I had to just hold on. We made the third turn and the road was pretty bumpy from pothole patches(it ran alongside a train station). To my surprise I got bunched together in a small group of runners, and we were fighting for the flattest straightest line.

I turned the last corner and looked at the garmin, my pace kept dipping down to 6:30. At this point I was in serious pain. My stomach burned, fatigue kept radiating thoughout my core and into my limbs. Every cell in my body felt tired and for a second I thought, "Please, this can't be happening. I've come this far. I can't give up now." This is where experience and remembering what I've read came into play: I relaxed. I concentrated on my breathng. And I just held the BEST form I could and lengthened my stride a bit. It was so hard - so unbelievably hard to push through the intense discomfort at this point. My stomach was churning and every cell of my body was rebelling -- put I willed myself ahead.

Then, there it was, about 1/4 mile away - the Finish Line. It was far away. I couldn't see the numbers. I past the mile split and I saw 19: something. I don't remember the numbers. I just remember I didn't have a lot of time left. I knew this was going to be the longest 1/10th of a mile I ever ran and dear God was it. My mind started going grey - but I could see the clock. 20 seconds. I started kicking. I thought, "I gotta do this, I am so close. I just have to push despite every physical fiber screaming at me." 10 seconds, I gotta kick harder, I have to make it. But I felt like I was kickin' for the entire last 1/4 mile, how much do I have left? I was about to cross the mats and I saw the clock at 19:56... I knew I'd done it. I'd set a horrendously difficult goal -- for me -- and I had finally accomplished it.

I blessed myself again, thanked God for pulling me through and took a good 30 seonds on one knee to catch my breath. This Race and its Memory is going to Last my Lifetime. I'm sure of it.

p.s. Kudos to my buddy Bill (puba1274) for pulling out a wicked 5k PR as well.

Quest for the Sub 20 5k continues. . . attempt# 9? 

Well, shit.  Now I really have no excuse but to focus on the Bike.  Drainer tonight.  Yippee!

19th OA/652   AG 2/18   ROBERT MACDOWELL    35 M WADING RIVER  NY   19:57  6:26 avg

• Health data: Soreness: 5 Fatigue: 4 Hours slept: 8

Evening Edit: Got busy at work, had to take my mom to a doctors appt, did some Christmas shopping, spent 2 hours (in the dark) taking down and fixing my Christmas lights that got trashed by the storm the other morning -- had to test each freaking bulb, ate dinner, read an entertaining pissing match on the forums, and here I am: 9:00 and needing to go to bed.  2 days with no training :(

Wife didn't come home till 10 PM last night.  ALL DAY taking care of a crazy 50-pound puppy, bathing, feeding and disciplining two kids, it freaking wiped me out.  I am shot today. 

Light something or other today.  Wanna be fresh for my 5k tomorrow morning.  Not happy with my weigth. 

• Health data: Sleep: 2 Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 2 Hours slept: 7

They had to give my daughter a puff of her inhaler at pre-school yesterday, and she was wheezing all last night, so I decided to keep her home today.  We had a wicked storm blow through this morning, winds gusting over 50 mph - I'm shocked my Christmas lights are still up.  Well the storm has blown through and now it's a gorgeous sunny day.  Kind of symbolic of life.

Wife has parent teacher conference tonight, so today is looking like a forced rest day.  Such is life. 

Note to self: Getting a solid 8 hours of sleep, staying hydrated during the day, and eating well post-workouts is working wonders. I feel great.  I must remember these three keys when I begin Ironman Training: SLEEP, HYDRATION & RECOVERY NUTRITION :)

• Health data: Sleep: 4 Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 4 Hours slept: 8
Bike
  • 1h 12m 30s
  • 11.32 miles
  • 9.37 Mi/hr

Mountain Biking!

After a 15 month Hiatus, I got back in the woods. I'm eating my words "I will never go back in the woods on a mountain bike." I just did and I had a freaking blast!! I also wanted to get in a little practice before I hit the trails with Mike and (hopefully) Charlie on Sunday morning. LET'S ROCK!

I'll err, get on the trainer tonight :)

Run
  • 36m 51s
  • 4.75 miles
  • 07m 46s /Mi

Zone 2. Kept it EZ and Aerobic.

Confession Time:  Despite the fact she's crazy insane and been a staple image on every tabloid cover for years; despite the fact that she represents the very epitome of today's moral decline; And despite the fact that her voice is more synthesizer than actual human voice;  Despite it all ... I am still a fan.  Yup, I'm a Britney Spears fan.  I'm not proud of it by any stretch of the imagination.  My wife finds it awkwardly amusing -- my friends can make fun of me, but this chick has made a Comeback like no other and she looks pretty damn good.  Click on the "HQ" button to watch in Hi Def Quality.  Is this music.. no, not really.  Is it entertaining -- HELL YEAH!   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlS0-V02JWg   3 stands for, cough - cough, a french term ;)

Must get on the drainer today.  Must get on the trainer today. Must get on the drainer today. Must get on the trainer today.Must get on the drainer today. Must get on the trainer today. Must get on the drainer today.  Must get on the trainer today. Must get on the drainer today. Must get on the trainer today. Must get on the drainer today. Must get on the trainer today.

• Health data: Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 4 Hours slept: 7

Dream Chaser's Training Log

December 2009 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
   1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31  

Time
Distance
  • November's totals