Reinvention at Forty

Friday - June 12

Swim
  • 20m
  • 1000.00 meters
  • 02m /100 meters

Nice EZ sets of 200 & 250.

The guy in my lane just started swimming 3 months ago, prepping for his first Sprint in a few weeks. Was so cool to give him a few tips and chat with him. The circle of life :)

My jaw dropped when I saw the scale this morning: 165.  My Race Weight target since January 2008 ...I'm finally here.  Holy cow.  It's amazing how fast the weight comes off when you cut out carbs, fat, and junk food -- I do still eat carbs, just not a lot.  And I still can't get over how eating a lot of protein curbs your appetite.  I'm just not ever hungry. 

Work this morning.  Packing and prep this afternoon.  Night out with the wife tonight (hopefully home early).  And then tomorrow morning I am off to Maryland. 

GOOD LUCK to all my other BT Friends who are racing ... especially my buddy Mike Hall: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=17366   Mike has really worked on his running this year and is due for a big PR!!  I also want to wish Charlie (thelunchbox) who has been training/studying for his Sargeants Exam this Saturday.  BEST OF LUCK, Charlie :)

• Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 3 Soreness: 4 Hours slept: 8.5

Thursday - June 11

Bike
  • 09m 42s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 19.24 Mi/hr

Started raining and I just felt like crap on the bike. Well I felt like crap (headache) befoe I got on the bike. Air was thick with fog and moisture. So I cut the bike short.

Run
  • 17m 17s
  • 2.40 miles
  • 07m 12s /Mi

5 min WU
10 mins at Race Pace

I kept the pace easy and I'm glad I wore the HR monitor because it confirmed that I was going easy. I am absolutely ESTATIC as it was humid & muggy, and I was wearing a long sleeve shirt, and I still had a very low HR. This is proof positive to me that Aerobic running works. I really focused on Aerobic running this year and kept 80% of my runs at the appropriate level and save my Anaerobic runs for Races and a very rare few Workouts.

If I can keep from overdoing it on the swim and bike on Sunday, I may finally have the HIM half mary I know I'm capable of.

It really dawned on me yesterday that I have OFFICIALLY changed my diet/ daily eating habits.  I eat almost no junk food.  I take the skin off my chicken.  My diet is around 40% protein.  I stay almost entirely away from milk, cheese - have one yogurt a day.  If something is processed (unless it's a clif bar or training food) I won't eat it.  I watch my sodium intake and I only drink one glass of apple or orange juice a day, otherwise it's water.  I am eating lots of fesh foods: fruits and veggies, plain meats. 

As a result, my weight is really starting to drop and I'm getting pretty damn skinny!  It's just so cool and weird that all the changes I slowly implemented back in December with the "No Sugar Challenge" have evolved and slowly transformed into a whole new way of eating, and I have a whole new body six months later.  It's freaking amazing really :)  Nuff rambling.  Hopefully it wall all translate into faster Race times. 

Ridiculosuly Short Bike and Run today.   

• Health data: Sleep: 2 Stress: 3 Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 4 Hours slept: 7.5

Wednesday - June 10

Swim
  • 18m 18s
  • 950.00 meters
  • 01m 56s /100 meters

15 min continuous
100m Fast
50m CD

I must remember this on Race Day: Start Easy, Build Slowly, Clean Stroke, Focus on Technique.

Feel a lot better after a quick swim. Some of the Taper Madness is tapering off. Some...

Mid-morning Edit:  Just spent the last hour cleaning the garage.  Every single thing in my house is neat and put away and clean, dusted, vaccumed and/or washed.  I guess next I'll go outside and start weeding my beds, again? 

I'm wired.  First time following a structured plan and I'm fascinated by how it's making me feel right now.  I feel like a science experiment.  I just straightened my house up top to bottom and it's only 8:30 AM (I mopped and vacuumed all 3 floors over the weekend).  I am tired and wired at the same time; my stomach has been growling lately but I'm not hungry,  I feel like I am in a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. A dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. Perhaps it is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and perhaps it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which I call "The Twilight Taper Zone".   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhKiqo-nqm0&feature=related    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzlG28B-R8Y

Swim today.  Yeah swim - I know how to do that.

• Health data: Sleep: 2 Stress: 2 Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 3 Hours slept: 6

Tuesday - June 9

Bike
  • 26m 03s
  • 8.63 miles
  • 19.88 Mi/hr

As per the plan:
WU: 5 min, 5 X 2 min fast, CD: 5 mins

Run
  • 17m 30s
  • 2.41 miles
  • 07m 16s /Mi

As per the plan:
WU: 5 min, 5 X 1 min fast, CD: 5 mins

After the 5 mins Fast, 7:15 felt EZ. Scary.

Afternoon Entry:  This "Taper thing" is so damn odd.  As per the plan, I'm doing a 2 week taper.  Immediately at the start of the first week of tapering I was ready to jump out of my skin.  And at the same time I just felt like crap inside.  That's all gone now though, and I feel really good.  But again, it's weird but because feeling really good, strong and confident - I am fatigued.  I know that's an oxymoron, but it's true.  I feel like I can run a marathon right now, but I may end up falling asleep; yet still finish - If that makes sense?  I'm hoping (praying) this means that all I need is rest this week and I will be in peak condition for Sunday.  I'm so tired I have a touch of tunnel vision, my eyes keep tearing, and really small print is blurry -- when normally my vision is superb.  Oh well, I'm not gonna overthink it.  I'm just gonna follow the plan to the best of my ability and try and get some extra sleep and rest this week.    

Morning Entry: I got the wicked Tri Suit sunburn going on with a red V on my chest, big red shoulder circles, and a bright crimson crescent shape on my lower back.  The looks I get from peopl at the YMCA tomorrow should make for a fun time swimming :)  I actually got burnt on purpose in an attempt to acclimate my skin for this coming Sunday.  Not really sure if it's a wise or stupid idea.  Knowing me, it's probably a stupid one ;)

Quick Bike and super-short Run tonight. 

• Health data: Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 3 Hours slept: 7

Monday - June 8

Bike
  • 37m 33s
  • 11.77 miles
  • 18.81 Mi/hr

RPE 3
Extremely EZ Effort
Race Day Prep - wore race day aero helmet, race suit, bike set-up. Felt fresh and pedalled super-EZ.

I've never biked with a disc and deep front at 168 lbs and I actually got a little blown around for the first time!!

Run
  • 1h 16m 44s
  • 10.05 miles
  • 07m 38s /Mi

RPE 4-5
BRICK - 15 min WU ; 3 X 20 mins (17 min tempo, 3 min EZ)
God-willing (seriously) I will feel this good on Race Day. 7:30 Tempo was moderately EZ, legs felt light and springy, practiced Race Day nutrition (Gatorade Endurance, hammer tropical gel, Gatorade Endurance) wore Race Day shoes and visor. I was actually enjoying the heat.

No more Tempo runs till Race Day!!

I also think today being the last day of my Z-Pack antibiotic also has a lot to do with how EZ this BRICK was today. That and 19 weeks of consistent training ;)

Ah Monday morning... how, even though I work from home, I still despise you just the same Monday morning.  Daughter was screaming all morning, clinging to my wife because she didn't want to go to school.  I have so many things I want to get done this week before my Race. 

Light bike and a Tempo Run today.  I was supposed to do my last Tempo Run yesterday, but my daughter had a b-day party in the morning, we had to do major food shopping, my friend had an Art Exhibit geared for children opening at 3PM an hour away from me, and then I had a Sunday night meeting -- and early in the morning I chose to do some OPW Swimming with Mike Hall and fuck around putting my Zipps on my guilty pleasure and taking pictures.  So the short of it, I need to get that last Tempo run today. 

• Health data: Sleep: 2 Stress: 2 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Hours slept: 6.5

Sunday - June 7

Bike
  • 20m
  • 6.20 miles
  • 18.60 Mi/hr

Just a quick ride. Forgot my Garmin so time and distance are guesses. Had to get home. Road the Zipp Disc ... whoosh whoosh whoosh...

Swim
  • 15m
  • 731.52 meters
  • 02m 03s /100 meters

OPWS at Cedar Beach with Mike.

I gotta keep reminding myself during the E-Man swim, "clean stroke - clean stroke" Better technique + less effort = faster speed. I need to Race like I Train.

I feel so guilty even for renting these God-awful expensive wheels.  It's just wrong how expensive these wheels are and it's even more wrong how freaking schweeeet they look!  And it's wrong that a bike like this will be far, far, far away from any Podium come Sunday.  Such is life. 

• Health data: Hours slept: 6

Saturday - June 6

Bike #1
  • 34m 48s
  • 11.77 miles
  • 20.29 Mi/hr

Maiden Voyage
Two words come to mind: Light & Stiff.

My next thought is: I gotta break this bike in a bit more and I don't have a lot of time, so it looks like a lot of easy rides are on tap.

Bike #2
  • 1h 02m 29s
  • 21.03 miles
  • 20.19 Mi/hr

When I let go of my old position and "dial in" the new fit position - It is so Money. Just gotta learn to let go of the old. Bike is already feeling better underneath me after the second ride.

It's unbelievable how much faster I can climb with this bike. I think I might've grabbed that Podium had I used this bike last week. No joke.

Run
  • 11m 02s
  • 1.59 miles
  • 06m 56s /Mi

Quick Brick.

Pictures and video of my bike fit here: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/photos/photo-thumbnails.asp?albumid=12304&useralbum=80537

Pictures of my new bike here: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/photos/photo-thumbnails.asp?albumid=12303 

My favorite is the second picture where my daughter is thinking, "What's wrong with Daddy?  Why is his bike in the house and why is he taking pictures of it?

• Health data: Sleep: 5 Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 3 Hours slept: 10

Dream Chaser's Training Log

June 2009 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30    

Volume

Time
Distance