Reinvention at Forty

Friday - July 17

Bike
  • 1h 02m 49s
  • 20.81 miles
  • 19.88 Mi/hr

Legs felt great. Could of kept riding but want to make sure I ease back into it.

The stock Shimano back wheel I am using, model# WH-R500, is an absolute boat anchor. On a stand, it free spins for half the time my Easton EA90 does, and the Felt wheel I borrowed from Charlie. Not to mention I got my fourth flat with it!! I can't wait to throw this thing into the garbage where it belongs. I know for a fact my avg would've been over 20mph with my Easton EA90 wheel. I guess it's good for a training wheel cause it rolls so slow.

Run
  • 24m 06s
  • 3.14 miles
  • 07m 41s /Mi

Again, could've kept on running, but don't want to overdo it.

There is NO QUESTION and ZERO DOUBT that my Recovery Tights are MAGICAL. My legs feel perfect today. Zoot claims 40% increase in Recovery time and I'm living proof.

HR was a little high due to heat and probably some residual fatigue.

I kept my Zoot CompressRX Recovery tights on for 10 hours last night.  My legs feel light and lovely this morning :)  Let's see how they feel after a mini-Brick this afternoon :) 

It's so beautiful outside.  I really need to start getting my ass outta bed and getting some early morning training done.  These hot days with lots of sunshine are only gonna be around for another 6 weeks.  I hope to make the most of it.

• Health data: Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3

Thursday - July 16

A little more tired this morning than yesterday morning, oddly.  Slept in a little, maybe that's why.  Not sure what I'm going to do today.  Probably 45 min EZ Bike.  Just enjoying this instructured EZ week of Recovering. 

I'm super-excited for all my friends who have Lake Placid right around the corner, and Ironman Canada.  Can't wait to track everyone and see how everyone does.  I wish the Best of Luck to everyone!  Despite the tremendous training we put in, we still need a bit o' luck :)

• Health data: Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 2

Wednesday - July 15

Bike
  • 36m 49s
  • 11.06 miles
  • 18.02 Mi/hr

Recovery

Run
  • 26m 59s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 41s /Mi

EZ Jog.
Did not push at all. Legs are still shot. Ice Bath.

Slowly returning to normal.  Legs are feeling much better and the fatigue is leaving. 

I've made a decision to 'Roll the Dice' and do IMLP 2010, afterall.  By 'Roll the Dice' I mean my strategy for signing up will be a bit of a gamble.  I am going to book my hotel now, I'm going to start training in February, and then I am going to race Rhode Island 70.3 2010 and hope they still offer same year slots for Lake Placid.  At Sundays Rhode Island event, they had 50 slots for Lake Placid 2009  ... I'm hoping (probably due to the economy) that this is something they will offer again next year.  If they don't, well then 'no harm, no foul'.  I'll just do an non-M-dot Iron Distance Race in September.  No biggie. 

Easy short Run tonight.  Slowly reverse tapering.

• Health data: Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3

Tuesday - July 14

Afternoon Entry:  Was going to go out for a quick spin.  Needed to put a new tube and tire on my old spare back wheel.  I blew THREE TUBES in a row.  Each tube blew out in a completely separate spot on the tube.  I checked the Rim and Inside of the Tire and found nothing.  I am going to take this as an omen that I should not ride today :)  Maybe I'll go for a light jog instead. 

Tired and sore this morning.  Maybe a light spin on the Bike later.  I really want to get my run mileage back to 25+ per week and start doing some Marathon long runs.  Now that it is looking like the full Ironman distance will have to wait till 2011, I'm tossing around the idea of going for a BQ attempt this Fall.  If I could go Sub 5 at my HIM this Fall and BQ (Boston Qualify) a month later ... how sweeet would that be :)

Thanks again to all my friends on this site who sent me awesome inspires, gave me great feedback and honest analysis and advice.  I know for a fact I would not be as succesful as I am if not for this site and the people on it. :)   

13.1 HIM splits: 8:22 7:30 7:35 7:40 8:04 7:51 8:31 8:23 8:19 8:10 8:36 9:28 9:01.  Held it together really well for the first 6 miles, maintained a decent pace for the next 5, and then the wheels clearly started coming off :)

• Health data: Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 2

Monday - July 13

Swim
  • 28m 23s
  • 1350.00 meters
  • 02m 06s /100 meters

2 X 500
2 X 100
50m backstroke
50m kickboard
50m FS

Despite the Race yesterday, I feel pretty good today.

Part of growing up (and I'm definitely still growing up ;)) is making decisions I don't want to make.  

I didn't sign up for Ironman Lake Placid yesterday. 

Sadly, the truth is: I cannot financially  justify it.  Kudos to my wife who would have happily let me sign up, but I'd rather use any extra money we have for a trip to Disney for the kids.  Plus, I'm 34-yrs-old ... Ironman is not going anywhere.  I know physically, with a few months of training, I could cover the full distance.  However, I don't want to just cover the distance.  I want to finish my first Ironman on my terms and be in the best shape possible to finish with a fast time and a smile on my face.  So before I do my first Ironman I have set some goals for myself -Sub 5 HIM being one of them.  So for now it looks like I'll be doing another handfull of Half Ironman's and IMPL in 2011. 

Recovery Swim today. 

RR is done: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=169153

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 3

Sunday - July 12

Bike
  • 2h 48m 13s
  • 56.00 miles
  • 19.97 Mi/hr
Run
  • 1h 48m 06s
  • 13.10 miles
  • 08m 15s /Mi
Swim
  • 35m 39s
  • 1931.21 meters
  • 01m 51s /100 meters

5:15:29  I am so happy.  I ran THE HILL both times and did not walk once on the run!  I finally had a decent HIM and finally nailed my nutrition.  FINALLY.  I am extremely happy with this PR and I am so satisfied that all my training finally paid off. 

Saturday - July 11

Dream Chaser's Training Log

July 2009 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
    1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31 

Volume

Time
Distance