Reinvention at Forty

Tuesday - October 12

* I'm not mentally well.  Despite my legs f*cking killing me, I am CRAVING another Marathon.  I can't wait to run Philly.  I absolutely cannot wait.  I'm gonna try and drop another 5 or 10 lbs and go 3:10:00 at Philly.  The course is pretty flat and they have Clif Bar Pace Groups.  Provided my Recovery and Training go well in the next 6 weeks, I'm gonna sign up for the 3:10 Pace Group and let them Pace/Pull me to Victory.  Then in Boston 2012, with a 20-week Prep and the Pfitz 70/18 Plan (70 mile peak, 18 weeks) I'm gonna go for a 2:59:XX.  At LP this summer the Goal will be a 3:40 marathon.  If I shed some more of this blubber, stay injury free, these goals should be attainable.  May the Force be with me. :) 

Still very sore.  Body is retaining a lot of fluid due to the damage I've done and my weight is at 181 lbs!! First time I've seen that number in around 4 years.  But I know it's just temporary and I'll be back in the mid 170's in a week.  Depending on how busy work is, I may get a swim in.

RACE REPORT IS DONE!! http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=230335

• Health data: Soreness: 1 Fatigue: 3

Monday - October 11

I'm still trying to wrap my tiny brain around the fact a 26.2 mile, 3 hour plus race came down to :28 seconds.  My official time was 3:15:32.  Had I done ANYTHING, even the smallest thing different, I would could have easily missed a BQ by a few seconds.  Part of me still doesn't believe it!  It's still sinking in.  But what is real is the pain in my hips, quads and calves!!  I'm doing the sideways shuffle up and down my stairs, holding onto the railing for dear life. :)

Thanks to all my BT Friends for your support!  My other friends and my family members are indeed happy for me, but it's you guys who all really can identify with me, and know how special it feels to set an athletic goal, train non-stop for it and then go out and accomplish it on Race Day.  God it is the best feeling in the world!!  And the goal doesn't have to be qualifying for Boston, or qualifying for Kona; just setting a PR or breaking the top 50% of the field are all tremendous goals.  I have many individual goals I set and have been accomplishing steadily -- but the #1 Goal is always to just Train and Race to MY POTENTIAL.  As long as I finish a race and know I did my best given the circumstances of my training fitness, and leave it all out there, I'm generally satisfied.  Generally.  I always want more. :) 

Swimming and Recovery Cycling the next 4 days. 

• Health data: Soreness: 1 Fatigue: 3

Sunday - October 10

Run
  • 3h 15m 35s
  • 26.45 miles
  • 07m 23s /Mi

I AM Going To BOSTON!!!

I needed 3:15:59 to Qualify for Boston. I needed to feel great race morning. I needed perfect weather. I got it all and finished with a 3:15:35. With 2 miles to go my quads started cramping and spasming and I was scared I was gonna fall short with only 2 miles to go.

Thanks to ALL my BT buddies. You all Rock. I mean that! Thanks :)

• Health data: Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 3

Saturday - October 9

Friday - October 8

Run
  • 26m 28s
  • 3.12 miles
  • 08m 29s /Mi

Recovery

Last Marathon Training Run

1,000+ miles Running for the year!! New PB for me :)

Little hand says it's time to Rock & Roll.

• Health data: Soreness: 5 Fatigue: 4

Thursday - October 7

Run
  • 36m 54s
  • 5.02 miles
  • 07m 21s /Mi

Marathon Prep & Pace - Aerobic

On the Happy Scale I'm an 11/10. Minus the 1 mi WU, Pace was a nearly effortless 7:14; I was gliding. If I feel this good Sunday morning, I've got an excellent chance.

During my run I thought about my Cow Harbor 10k, and in retrospect: I was coming off two back-to-back 20-mile long run weekends. Finally, alas, I feel repaired and whole. Legs are light and springy. I just hope I feel this good three mornings from now. Recovery Pace 5k tomorrow, then off to SCRANTON!! YEAH BABY!!!

Starting to feel better, closer to normal; less wonky ;):).  Looking forward to my 5-mile lunchtime run today - 2 miles @ Marathon Pace.  Looking forward to following the Kona coverage Saturday - GOOD LUCK to Bryan and Alaina from BT!!  Looking forward to the NY Rangers season opener Saturday - HOCKEY!!!  And then, finally, looking forward to getting this freaking Marathon over with - No More stressing over time goals!! 

Steamtown - Mile 24 - St. Joseph's House

• Health data: Soreness: 5 Fatigue: 3

Wednesday - October 6

Why do I feel guilty taking Rest Days?  Strange. 

So I haven't eat any junk food, and very little processed food in about six days and I'm down a solid 4 pounds.  I think I've finally made the choice to eat super-healthy and get down to my true race weight for the 2011 season, which is probably around 160.  What turned my thinking around is something I read from Deena Kastor. 

"We make choices. I hate to say 'sacrifices.' When I speak to younger groups, to colleges and other younger athletes, I say 'we don't make sacrifices. If we truly love this sport and we have these goals and dreams in the sport, the classroom, or in life, they're not sacrifices. They're choices that we make to fulfill these goals and dreams.' Sacrifices makes it sound like 'oh, poor me, I have to do this in order to get to this,' and I don't really like that word. It was just really the choice to take care of myself and live a proper lifestyle. In doing that, I feel like a healthier person, I feel focused in everything, not just in my running. In following this one dream, I feel like I became an even more well-rounded person."

• Health data: Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 3

Dream Chaser's Training Log

October 2010 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
      1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Volume

Time
Distance