Reinvention at Forty

Tuesday - October 19

Swim
  • 30m 53s
  • 1550.00 meters
  • 01m 59s /100 meters

Swam 30 mins straight.

Random Tuesday morning thoughts:  Grey and overcast out this morning.  Both kids are driving me crazy, but I'm told that's their job :).  Starbucks Espresso Roast coffee is awesome.  I need to diet CONSISTENTLY.  I need to clean my house.  Our fourth, guest bedroom has become a mountain of clean clothes I need to fold.   Instead of folding, I'm going swimming :).

Monday - October 18

Run
  • 1h 02m 33s
  • 8.01 miles
  • 07m 49s /Mi

Aerobic Run

Didn't look at the Garmin - just ran at an EZ comfortable pace. The rest of this week will all be EZ, Medium-Long Run over the weekend, then back to Marathon Training and speedwork next week.

I've been getting the Ultra-bug again.  I'm thinking perhaps the Vermont 50-miler next September.  I read a race report from an Ultra-Dude running his first 100-miler, the Vermont 100.  He only eats raw fruit and veggies.  His taper for a 100-mile race was 92 miles in 5 days, starting with a 50-miler the Monday before.  The day after his 100-mile race, he climbed to the top of Mt. Washington.  I want what he has: http://www.thefruitarian.com/index.php/2010/07/vermont-100-mile-race-report/  

Legs actually feel bouncy and light today, like a couple days pre-marathon.  Crazy awesome.  I guess yesterdays bike ride got some good blood circulating through the sticks.  Maybe a Run and Swim today.  Depends on how busy work is.

• Health data: Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 4

Sunday - October 17

Bike
  • 1h 25m 39s
  • 28.07 miles
  • 19.66 Mi/hr

General Aerobic Bike

Got a flat 5 mins into my ride. Blew threw all 3 CO2's - thankfully the last one worked. Left a dime-sized chunk of skin from my thumb on my spoke blade, trying to get the tire off. Went home for repairs and then the ride was awesome after that.

Great family weekend.  Yesterday was the Boy Scout Camporee at South Haven Park -- Uber Windy!  Today was the Fall Festival at my son's school - felt like Springtime!

Saturday - October 16

Run
    • 46m 51s
    • 6.01 miles
    • 07m 48s /Mi

Aerobic

Uber-windy out. Yesterday I took a 20 min ice bath, stretched for 20 mins, drank my Recoverite, wore my CompressRX tights for 10 hours, and today my legs feel fresh and light. Yes all this time spent on Recovery is a PAIN IN THE ASS, but it's worth it, for me, because I can bounce back so quickly.

Sport
    • Stretching
    • 20m

calves, glutes, hip flexors, the-stick, foam roller

Friday - October 15

Run
    • 39m 38s
    • 5.01 miles
    • 07m 55s /Mi

Victory Lap

It was so damn nice to run my usual loop, the same 2.5 mile loop I've run well over 3,000 plus miles on, and Run it knowing that I was finally Victorious. The 1300 some odd times I've ran this circle finally paid off. Today I really enjoyed running it. Yeah, I ran the last few miles too fast. All runs till next weekend will be at a slower pace. Just got caught up in the moment.

Sport
    • Stretching
    • 30m

Wow, legs feel scary good this morning.  But ah ha!  I know it's a trick.  On the surface they feel fine, but I know deep down inside are still gazillions of micro tears and damage to my fascia and tendons that I cannot detect. Plan to jump on the drainer tonight and watch Ranger's home opener.  Heck, I may go for a swim again today at lunch.  For both my previous marathons, and seven HIM's, Friday always seems like the Magic Day when I feel better and can resume close-to-normal training.  I'll take her slow and steady and back off if anything starts complaining. 

I really need to lose a few pounds.  After the race I mentioned to the wife how I need to shed another 10 to 15 lbs and she remarked, "Yeah, everyone who finished ahead of you was really skinny."  Thanks honey :)

Thursday - October 14

Swim
    • 41m 47s
    • 2000.00 meters
    • 02m 05s /100 meters

Recovery Swim
    1 X 500 w/ PB
    1 X 500
    1 X 500 w/ PB
    1 X 500
    200m Kickboard (not timed)

Girl in the lane next to me was a cancer survivor, aqua-jogging against cancer. God Bless Her.

I'm in that Limbo stage of Recovery.  I am feeling a lot less sore, and my energy is coming back; however, I'm probably only 60% at best so I still need to take it easy.  Need to motivate myself to get on the Drainer or Stare at The Black Line.  Hmmm.... Drainer or The Black Line, which tempestuous torture shall I willingly subject myself to this afternoon. . .?   

Wednesday - October 13

Legs are feeling much better.  I have to go into the office today and the wife has Zumba tonight.  Last Rest Day.

• Health data: Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 3 Hours slept: 8.5

Dream Chaser's Training Log

October 2010 
    SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
          1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Volume

Time
    Distance