Chipping Away At It

Monday - October 25

For the first time, yesterday evening, I started wishing for a break - thinking about some time off.  Hmmm... we'll see if it lasts.  I'm growing a beard.  Hopefully work will not be armegeddon unleashed today.  Swim later?   

• Health data: Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3

Sunday - October 24

Run
  • 2h 11m 39s
  • 15.17 miles
  • 08m 41s /Mi

Long Run with my friend Bill. He's gonna smoke Philly!!
1/3 flat, 1/3 hills, 1/3 flat

Bike
  • 1h 07m 22s
  • 19.68 miles
  • 17.53 Mi/hr

Retired the Jet 60's for the winter. Put the gatorskin/ eastons on. Man they DO NOT spn anything like the Jets w/ Vitorria open tubulars. Rode up on the hoods.

Sport
  • Stretching
  • 30m

15 min stretch, 15 min ice bath

I'm toying with the idea of shutting it down for the year.  Not entirely, of course :).  I'll still do Long Runs with my friend Bill, get him ready for Philly, and run a 3:40 with him through the City of Brotherly Love... but I think aside from twice a week swims, I might just shut the bike down altogether till January.  We'll see. . .   

Saturday - October 23

Bike
    • 26m 44s
    • 2.40 miles
    • 5.39 Mi/hr

Mountain Biking in Wildwood State Park with my 6-yr-old boy. He had to walk a lot of hills, but overall he rocked it!! Nice wide trails, beautiful views of the LI Sound. Gonna have to make biking in there a more frequent thing!! And I can't wait to Run those trails. Good UltraMarathon training :)

Run
    • 38m 29s
    • 5.20 miles
    • 07m 24s /Mi

1 thru 4 - aerobic
    the rest Tempo

Watched the sun set. Glided at a smooth tempo pace with the crimson harvest moon lighting my way. Running at it's finest and purest. Nothin' better.

Sport
    • Stretching
    • 25m

lots of hip flexor, hammy, glute, calves, groin, lacrosse ball, foam roller, yoga - intense stretch session. Not fun.

Work went haywire yesterday.  You gotta love when you've been doing something sucessfully the same way for 13 years and an executive who's been with the company all of 40 days decides to change how you do your job.  I hate corporations. Needless to say, aside from the global employee mutiny at my job, my son's gymnastics and dinner at my Aunt's, OH and finally cleaning some of my house!:)  Training got the kabash.  Oh, and at least the Yankees LOST!! Hahah ahah!!!   How fitting A-Rod was at the plate for the last out in Texas.  :)

After staying up late to watch the Yankee game, I slept to 10:30 this morning.  So lovely.  My elderly parents nee help with their computer, the boy has Cub Scouts meeting, gonna have to crowbar some training in tonight.  Drainer?  May take him to Wildwood Park where they have a tame Mountain Bike trail and go Mountain Biking with my boy.  Also have to buy a headlamp today.  Getting up tomorrow pre-dawn and doing a Long Run with my friend Bill.  Getting him ready for Philly!!  PHILLY BABY!! YES.... PHILLY! 

After Philly, aside from the Turkey Trot Race and a Dec 4th 5k, I am shutting down the running for a month and a half - till mid-January.  For December, January and February I'm just going to flip-flop swimming and trainer. 

• Health data: Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 4

Friday - October 22

I hate dieting.  I loathe Gluttony.  The worlds fastest Marathoner Haille Gebrselassie weighs 125 pounds.  It's no secret: weigh less, go faster and with less effort.  I know the time to lose weight is NOW, the off-season.  The demon Gluttony is 9 foot tall and has muscles the size of the Hulk.  He is kicking my a$$.  I need to figure out how to beat this bastard.

Swim today. 

Thursday - October 21

Run
    • 47m 43s
    • 6.00 miles
    • 07m 57s /Mi

Aerobic/Recovery

So I was able to sneak a run in afterall.

No training today.  I have a teleconference at noon with the new CEO of the company (he runs half marathons so we should get along :)), my son gets off the bus at 2:45 (15 mins earlier due to  a drill)  and I have a meeting tonight at 7:30.  So we'll call it a Rest Day.  I should probably spend some time cleaning and folding anyways.  Wish this damn ultra-bug would pass already. 

• Health data: Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3

Wednesday - October 20

Run
    • 1h 34m 22s
    • 12.06 miles
    • 07m 49s /Mi

General Aerobic Medium-Long Run
    First longish run since my marathon, so I kept the pace really easy and just let my body dictate a comfortable 'run all day' pace. I wore my HR Monitor. Man I hate that thing. It's always sliding around - freaking annoying. Around mile 3.5 I ripped it off and jammed it into the small back pocket of my fuel belt, so after 4 miles my HR readings were just a tad off.

Perfect day for a run: 58 degrees and cloudy. I ran along the Pine Barrens. Watched leaves falling from the trees, saw some deer, a hawk flew just over my head, I HEART YOU AUTUMN!!

Sport
    • Stretching
    • 40m

20 min stretch/ 20 min ice bath

Today is one of those 'Groundhog' kind of days.  The wife and kids are firmly into the routine of going off to school and the mornings are beginning to bleed together.  Is today Tuesday or Thursday?  The ultramarathon-bug still hasn't left me.  Instead, it's growing.  I got the same bug this time last year and it eventually went away.  This time, I'm not so sure.  

One of my 'Dream Chaser Goals' is to qualify for the 70.3 World Championship.  With just another couple of years of consistent training, I'm pretty confident I could achieve it - even if by a roll down.  But I set that goal when the race was in Clearwater.  I have a couple of friends in Tampa, and I like it down there.  Now that they've moved it to Vegas (being a happily married family man) the race has lost all its appeal for me.  In fact, I figure, if I'm gonna fly all the way to Vegas I may as well just drive 90 minutes north and do a full Ironman.  So that's what I've decided to do.  I'm crossing off 70.3 World Championship and replacing it with Ironman St. George.  In the next two years, when I finally (hopefully by the Grace of God) go Sub 5 at a 70.3, I'll stick around when they are handing out the slots for Vegas 70.3.  And if the opportunity presents itself (cough, rolls down to me ;))  that'll be satisfaction enough.

Run this afternoon.

I was keeping my Steamtown/ Boston Qualify space blanket as a memento.  Yeah, well, my dog Sneakers liked it too. 

• Health data: Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 3

Tuesday - October 19

Swim
    • 30m 53s
    • 1550.00 meters
    • 01m 59s /100 meters

Swam 30 mins straight.

Random Tuesday morning thoughts:  Grey and overcast out this morning.  Both kids are driving me crazy, but I'm told that's their job :).  Starbucks Espresso Roast coffee is awesome.  I need to diet CONSISTENTLY.  I need to clean my house.  Our fourth, guest bedroom has become a mountain of clean clothes I need to fold.   Instead of folding, I'm going swimming :).

Dream Chaser's Training Log

October 2010 
    SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
          1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Volume

Time
    Distance

Upcoming races