This is What We Do

Saturday - October 30

May take off today, may Bike, not sure.  Grueling hilly 20-miler tomorrow morning.  Cub Scouts Halloween party was a blast last night.  Only one other family got completely dressed up.  They took a family picture of us to put up on the Pack Website :)

Friday - October 29

Run
  • 46m 57s
  • 6.31 miles
  • 07m 26s /Mi

Aerobic 10k

Sport
  • Stretching
  • 15m

Spending a lot of time on the Hip Flexors has increased my flexibility and taken a lot of strain off my pirifomis muscles.

Crazy busy day.  I'm volunteering in my son's class from 12 to 2:00.  Then gymnastics at 4, followed by the Cub Scout Spooktacular Halloween Party at 7 PM, and the wife has a wake to attend an hour away - so I am solo with the kids :).  If work isn't busy this morning, I'll go for an EZ 10k run.  Sunday morning Bill and I are running a brutal 20-miler.  We're running the Shoreham Hills front and back, which means around 1/3 of the run will be climbing.  What do they say... hills are speedwork in disguise.  Gonna be doing lots of speedwork Sunday morning. :)

The ebb and flow of fatigue over the course of training is a very interesting phenomenon.  I really find it intriguing how I can go several weeks of high volume training, and have an umlimited supply of energy, and then other weeks I'm just sapped.  It's interesting also how races seem to affect the fatigue curve.  I'd love (since I log my faitgue level often) to see how the line rises and falls and intertwines with the training bars in a year-long graph.  I think that's an interesting concept.  Perhaps by plotting the level of fatigue, you could better predict and plan your key training sessions and races for when you are about to peak . . .  hmmmm  

• Health data: Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3

Thursday - October 28

Swim
  • 26m 43s
  • 1500.00 meters
  • 01m 47s /100 meters

1 X 300 WU
3 X 100 every 2' (1:43 1:39 1:37)
200 Technique w/Pull Buoy
3 X 100 every 2' (1:44 1:40 1:36)
100 kick (not timed)
3 X 100 every 2' (1:40 1:41 1:34)
100 kick (not timed)
100m Techique w/Pull Buoy

One of my fastest swims ever. Felt great. I've only used the Pull Buoy for a couple of weeks now and it's made all the difference. It has taught me to keep my hips and legs on top of the water, and thus I can glide atop the water which makes swimming so much damn easier.

Run #1
  • 07m 51s
  • 0.82 miles
  • 09m 34s /Mi

My son's first training run for the Turkey trot. He didn't want to give me a full mile, he's lucky it was Day 1 of training - so I'll go easy on 'em. ;)

Run #2
  • 21m 08s
  • 3.10 miles
  • 06m 49s /Mi

First 2 mi Tempo. 3rd mi @ 5k Pace
First speedwork since my marathon. It took 18 days before I truly felt ready. My form is the tighest it's ever been. I feel like all my power is focused on hitting the ground and propelling me forward. I've read coaches on this site say that "Running form is not important." I say, "If your coach ever says Running Form is not important, run away from them. Far, far away."

My newest favorite Music Video.  My six-year-old son loves it too.  FREAKING AWESOME!! Gotta play it loud: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egG7fiE89IU  

So today is gonna be sunny with a freak high of 75 degrees ... why didn't I swim yesterday and run today?  The fatigue fog is lifting, which is nice.  Hate feeling sleepy all damn day.  Life is Short.  We need to soak in every second of every day. 

I stole this pic from Slidell4life's blog.  I loved the Beastie Boys growing up.  'No Sleep til dunt dunt dunt Brooklyn!!'  'Brass Monkey, that funky Monkey'  What tha f*uck happened to them!?  They look like they are outside the Social Security office!!

Wednesday - October 27

Run
  • 1h 36m 14s
  • 12.01 miles
  • 08m 01s /Mi

EZ/ General Aerobic

Ran in a rain storm. It started and stopped raining more than a couple times. It was nicer when it rained cause the wind cooled me, and the humidity broke. When it wasn't raining the humidity felt like late-August. Took it really easy. Accidentally logged this under biking on my Garmin. Was supposed to do some strides... but I don't think I'm ready for speedwork just yet.

Sport
  • Stretching
  • 25m

stretching, ice bath

If I weren't commited to running Philly with my friend Bill, I'd bail and grab a charity spot at the JFK 50-miler on Nov. 20th.   If not for the wife and kids, I'd fly to California and do an Ultra 50 in January or February -- but I can't justify leaving the wife & kids for a silly race, plus: I WANT THEM TO BE THERE FOR MY FIRST ULTRA!  I'm thinking I'm going to have to wait until March.  And why is there so many damned 50k races??  After much thought, what is the purpose of a 50k?  If you've run a marathon, big whoop running 6 miles further.  Especially since you run a lot slower for an ultra.  The 50k distance does not make sense to me.  If you're gonna do an Ultra, yah gotta go 50 miles.  Just sayin' ;):)

P.S.  Whoever keeps sprinkling sleeping dust in my coffee and drinks throughout the day, please freaking stop!  Thanks.:)  Yaaaaaawn.

• Health data: Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 2

Tuesday - October 26

Bike
  • 56m 09s
  • 17.08 miles
  • 18.25 Mi/hr

Crummy ride. Looks like a storm was coming in and I was getting headwinds in every direction... wtf?

Also put my ISM Adamo seat back on. I hate the seat, really, but it's the only seat that allows my SI Joint to unlock while riding, and thus it's the only seat that gets rid of my lower back pain. But I trade the lower back pain for sit bone pain.

Legs were hating me on the bike, probably cause of the 46 miles I ran last week. I'm tired.

Just heard this song a couple of days ago.  Truly captivating: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v_4O44sfjM

Weather is going to be warm, nearing 70's, the next few days.  I may as well get my last kicks in for the year and get some more outside training done.  The body is strong and feels reasonably fresh; but the mind is beginning to fatigue.  Work and regular 'life stuff' has me mentally drained.  Just need to push through for three more weeks of training.  I'll take a break from Thanksgiving to Christmas.  I need to push on until then just because.   

• Health data: Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 2

Monday - October 25

For the first time, yesterday evening, I started wishing for a break - thinking about some time off.  Hmmm... we'll see if it lasts.  I'm growing a beard.  Hopefully work will not be armegeddon unleashed today.  Swim later?   

Sunday - October 24

Run
  • 2h 11m 39s
  • 15.17 miles
  • 08m 41s /Mi

Long Run with my friend Bill. He's gonna smoke Philly!!
1/3 flat, 1/3 hills, 1/3 flat

Bike
  • 1h 07m 22s
  • 19.68 miles
  • 17.53 Mi/hr

Retired the Jet 60's for the winter. Put the gatorskin/ eastons on. Man they DO NOT spn anything like the Jets w/ Vitorria open tubulars. Rode up on the hoods.

Sport
  • Stretching
  • 30m

15 min stretch, 15 min ice bath

I'm toying with the idea of shutting it down for the year.  Not entirely, of course :).  I'll still do Long Runs with my friend Bill, get him ready for Philly, and run a 3:40 with him through the City of Brotherly Love... but I think aside from twice a week swims, I might just shut the bike down altogether till January.  We'll see. . .   

Dream Chaser's Training Log

October 2010 
    SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
          1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Volume

Time
    Distance

Upcoming races