Why do I feel guilty taking Rest Days?  Strange. 

So I haven't eat any junk food, and very little processed food in about six days and I'm down a solid 4 pounds.  I think I've finally made the choice to eat super-healthy and get down to my true race weight for the 2011 season, which is probably around 160.  What turned my thinking around is something I read from Deena Kastor. 

"We make choices. I hate to say 'sacrifices.' When I speak to younger groups, to colleges and other younger athletes, I say 'we don't make sacrifices. If we truly love this sport and we have these goals and dreams in the sport, the classroom, or in life, they're not sacrifices. They're choices that we make to fulfill these goals and dreams.' Sacrifices makes it sound like 'oh, poor me, I have to do this in order to get to this,' and I don't really like that word. It was just really the choice to take care of myself and live a proper lifestyle. In doing that, I feel like a healthier person, I feel focused in everything, not just in my running. In following this one dream, I feel like I became an even more well-rounded person."

• Health data: Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 3
Run
  • 40m 24s
  • 4.73 miles
  • 08m 32s /Mi

Recovery

I feel like shit. Muscles have very little soreness, but I have this fatigue deep in my core. I feel a tad achey. I just feel like crap. I know...I know... this is normal during the Taper. Blah... blah... freaking blah :)

Extra Rest ALL AROUND is the priority agenda the next 4 days.

Sport
  • Stretching
  • 20m

stretch, yoga, the-stick, ice bath (Yep, took an ice bath after a 4-mile run. I don't know what to make of it either. Felt like the right thing to do.)

Another rainy, dark morning.  I can't complain though as the rain has coincided mostly with my 'off days', and Marathon Sunday is supposed to be 60 degrees and Sunny - which is Perfect!!  So many thoughts running through my head.  I need to be positive.  Embrace the chaos and hecticness of life.  Be grateful, even if I don't BQ.  Focus on all the blessings.  Learn and grow from the disappointments. 

This weather makes me very introspective. :)  Run sometime later today.   

Here's hoping Crowie grabs the Triple Crown Saturday!

Me & Craig Alexander at Rev3 Quassy

• Health data: Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 3
Swim
  • 28m 32s
  • 1500.00 meters
  • 01m 54s /100 meters

1 X 500 WU
1 X 500 w/ PB
1 X 500 Mod Effort
150 kickboard (not timed)
Focus on High Elbow

Some cool, short videos of the Pro's tapering/training in Kona this week.  Man does everyone look super-lean and fit! http://video.competitor.com/category/triathlon/

TAPER TIME!!

Weekend pics:

• Health data: Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3
Run
  • 1h 14m 29s
  • 10.06 miles
  • 07m 24s /Mi

Aerobic Medium-Long Run @ Marathon Pace
-.02 seconds BQ Pace!

Weather was trememdous - 60 degrees and overcast; legs felt pretty light and fresh, turning over easy; head was tired and fatigued. Hopefully 6 days of EZ short runs and a few more naps will remedy that.

Sport
  • Stretching
  • 20m

yoga, it band, foam, ice

Yesterday we had a blast at Fink's Farm Fall Festival.  I led two 4-yr-olds, two six-yr-olds a 7-yr old, and 12-yr old through the six-acre Fink's Corn Maze in 23 minutes flat.  I RULE!  We took a hay ride, shot corn cobs from air guns, ate corn cobs & hot dogs, watched a pig race, picked pumpkins, and then we came home and I took a 2 hour nap. :)  I'll post pics tomorrow.

Going Pumpkin Picking with the family today.  Great thing about living way out in Eastern Long Island is, the pumpking patch is literally down the block from me! 

Pfitz has me resting today.  So maybe a super-EZ spin later.  I have to start letting the legs Recover.   

Run
  • 38m 21s
  • 5.01 miles
  • 07m 39s /Mi

Aerobic
Ran in a rain storm. Downpouring rain, driving winds, good times :) Was supposed to run Recovery pace but I wasn't about to lolly-gag out there. Broke out the under armour long sleeve for the first time since Winter.

Sport
  • Chiropractic
  • 30m

E-stim right piriformis, back adjustment, A.R.T on right piriformis (DAMN THAT EFFING HURT), stretched hips, it bands and tfl's.

Wow, it's October.  Lots of cool things going on this month!! I really need to learn some discipline during my taper, and stop stuffing cookies into my face.  I CRAVE DISCIPLINE!!!   

5-mile Recovery Run and A.R.T today.

Swim
  • 28m 10s
  • 1500.00 meters
  • 01m 53s /100 meters

1 X 500 Mod
1 X 500 Mod w/ PB
5 X 100 ever 2'
100m kickboard (not timed)

Legs feel really good this morning.  May go for a swim today and have lunch with Mom.  God Bless my Mother for raising me right.  As a youngster she always taught me to be aggressive, but she also taught me to play fair and never cheat.  The reason I say this is because I was just reading about some marathon history and came across a story about Rosie Ruiz. In 1980, Rosie Ruiz Vivas crossed the Boston Marathon finish line before all other women and was initially credited with the win, but was later stripped of her title when it was found that she had not run the entire course.  She was found out at first by her fellow competitors.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosie_Ruiz   What makes someone like this tick, I never want to know.  What makes people empathize with people like Rosie, again - I never want to know.   

Dream Chaser's Training Log

October 2010 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
      1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Time
Distance
  • October's totals
  • September's totals