Chipping Away At It

Monday - October 17

Sport
  • Stretching
  • 1h 20m

40 minutes of Nortmatec boots and 40 minutes of Graston and A.R.T. Graston effing HURTS!! Had graston done on my entire hamstring from butt down to back of knee... arrrgggghhh.

If you told me five years ago I'd pay to have someone use these devices on me.  I'd think you were insane.  Now I realize I'm the insane one :)

Wore my Zoot CompressRX tights last night and my hamstring feels a wee-bit better.  I'm going to see if I can get an appt with my Sports Doc today and have him work on it, and maybe spend some time in the Normatec boots.  I figure squishing blood in & out of the area should expedite healing.  Hopefully if all goes well I can try running again Wednesday. 

• Health data: Sick: 3

Sunday - October 16

Run
  • 19m 34s
  • 2.48 miles
  • 07m 53s /Mi

Planned a flat easy 12-miler. And it was perfect running temperature outside. But hamstring was pulling and altering my form so I had to pull the plug :(

We were selling popcorn in front of the supermarket for the Cub Scouts.  I picked up all the boxes together and pulled my hamstring lifting them.  Who thought popcorn kernels could weigh that much!?  I have a wicked sore spot smack dab in the middle of my right hamstring.  Siiiiigh

GOOD GRIEF!!

• Health data: Sick: 3

Saturday - October 15

Run
  • 1h 24m 57s
  • 10.18 miles
  • 08m 20s /Mi

Met Derrick at the Riverhead courts and we ran the Hampton Hills Fire Road. Lots of solid hill work. We were supposed to do 16 miles, but they closed down the expressway and landed a helicopter airlift someone off to the hospital, so Derrick was late.

Plan is to run 12 flat miles tomorrow and make it an even 42 miles for my first Official Week of Marathon Training. Not too shabby.

Fall Festival and a car show.  Trust me, I'd rather be training.  :)

• Health data: Soreness: 3

Friday - October 14

Swim
  • 25m 31s
  • 1200.00 meters
  • 02m 08s /100 meters

Recovery Swim. Sorry JK. I'm done swimming hard for a few weeks. Been swimming hard all year long!! I need a break :)

500 EZ
100 kickboard
500 w/ PB
100 EZ

Be careful what you ask for cause you just might get it.  So I've been chasing a major project for my small publishing company for five years.  A project which involves publishing a children's book using the lyrics of one of the most famous American folk songs.  After five years of consistent and persistent, but professional, follow-up I landed a meeting.  And ...I landed the deal!! And with it, I landed a crap load of work.  Work that should pay off handsomely for potentially the rest of my life.  The bad news is: I thought I would be happy if this moment ever came, but I am not.  I am completely and utterly overwhelmed.  And I will not see any revenue for roughly 12 to 16 months.  So I am approaching this like an Ironman.  I need to tackle this one project a single segment at a time.  I need to keep my head down and keep moving forward.  And despite the end seeming so far away, I'll eventually cross that finishing line and it will all have been worth while. 

Long Run with Derrick tomorrow morning.

Thursday - October 13

Wednesday - October 12

Run
  • 20m 42s
  • 2.52 miles
  • 08m 13s /Mi

I want to re-Qualify for Boston at Philly next month.  So I just checked the Qualifying Standards.  No more additional * :59 seconds.  Fine.  They bumped M35-59 times to 3:10 & under.  Fine.   But I still can't wrap my head around the fact that the W35-39 only need a 3:40 to qualify.  REALLY?!?  The girls I know often smoke me or are right on my heels.  And going from the previous 3:15 to a 3:10 is MUCH HARDER than going from a 3:45 to a 3:40.   But it is what it is.  I have to run better than a 7:15 avg ; while a girl my same age has to simply run better than a 8:23!!  Damn that's unfair.  I'm thinking a 15 to 20 minute spread is more realistic; but a half-hour is just bullshit.  But whatever.  I'm completely powerless over this and will simply focus on myself.  But I needed to just vent that, as quite frankly it's an insult to women and their ability to say they on average run a marathon that much slower then men, which is not true.  Just look at the World Records between Men & Women.  Rant over.

Here I am SPRINTING down the finish chute last weekend.  I look determined :)

• Health data: Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 4

Tuesday - October 11

Run
  • 1h 21m 34s
  • 10.13 miles
  • 08m 03s /Mi

EZ Aerobic. It never ceases to amaze me how much easier it is to Run in cool temps.

Sport
  • Stretching
  • 30m

yoga, lacrosse ball, foam roller, the-stick, ice bath

Taking Wifey to the spine doctor this morning.  Will Run afterwards.  Legs and body feel really good.  First time I've seen 175 on the scale in a few months.  Hopefully the downward trend will continue and I can drop another 5 or 6 lbs before Philly. 

Dream Chaser's Training Log

October 2011 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31     

Volume

Time
Distance

Upcoming races