Friday - April 1

Swim
  • 1h 16m 11s
  • 4050.00 meters
  • 01m 53s /100 meters

1 X 4050 straight @ 75 to 85% perceived effort
Fastest Lap 3 - :52 seconds
Slowlest Lap 64 - 1:00

The "Training Plan" called for 3500 meters straight. I looked at that this morning and was like, "Really? 70 freaking laps straight!?" I thought about breaking it up into 2 X 1750. Then I said to myself, "Let's just get to 60 laps and that'll be fine."

Needless to say, I'm learning not to have any expectations before a workout because despite being a little tired, and having a not-so-good swim yesterday, I got in the water today and I experienced 'flying'. I literally felt like I was effortlessly flying over the water. I hit only three rough-spots the whole time, that lasted less than a couple hundred meters each.

Three years ago, when I first started swimming, had I been able to look ahead and see this Swim today, I surely would have thought it was a big April Fools Joke. But it's not.

Getting my swim to this level ranks in my Top 10 lifetime achievements.

Not quite sure what training I am doing today.  I've been really *focusing* on what I put in my pie hole, making sure I have enough fuel to train and recover, but not excess -- and the weight is starting to come off again.  My goal for April is to get back into the 160's and stay there

• Health data: Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3

Thursday - March 31

Run
  • 56m 48s
  • 7.64 miles
  • 07m 26s /Mi

Z2
Got my run in before the rains came. Good pace for easier effort.

Swim
  • 50m 22s
  • 2500.00 meters
  • 02m 01s /100 meters

500 WU
400 w/ PB
100 kickboard
200/300/400 @ :45 sec
(1:42/1:43/1:43)
100 kickboard
1 X 400 (1:44 avg)
100 CD

Last 400 set was supposed to be a 500m but I got a cramp in my left, upper calf. Felt like I had a golf ball under my skin and it would not release. So I had to cut swim short by 700m :(

Sport
  • Stretching
  • 20m

yoga, foam roller, good stretch after run.

Swim at lunchtime and likely a wet Run at some point.  It does seem to be warming up gradually.  It's still nowhere near warm, but it's moving further away from freezing cold to tolerable cold. 

Wednesday - March 30

Bike
  • 1h 15m 03s
  • 22.11 miles
  • 17.68 Mi/hr

Z2 - 85 RPM
This is the best I could do. Legs are still zapped from Sunday. Rangers lost, dammit :(

Me & the boy all day today. :)  After his lacrosse practice, I'll get on the trainer.  Big game tonight with playoff implications - Rangers vs. Sabres. 

Tuesday - March 29

Swim
  • 1h 03m 05s
  • 3250.00 meters
  • 01m 56s /100 meters

500 WU
400 w/ PB
200/300/400/500 :45 seconds
(1:39/1:44/1:45/1:46 avg)
100 kickboard
450 w/ PB
300 CD
100 kickboard

Ended up taking a :15 sec extra rest on the last two sets of 400 & 500. The last 500 set HURT BADLY. I felt really good in the water. Amazing how much topography plays a role in recovery. Flat half marathon didn't beat me up nearly as bad as a hilly 15k.

Bike
  • 45m
  • 13.65 miles
  • 18.20 Mi/hr

82 RPM
Had to cut my ride 15' short to pick my daughter up from a "playdate". Sigh

Yeah, so at the pool today I met this cool dude, Bob, who's been doing triathlons for a long time, and he rides with this other dude, David, who lives a few towns from me. He said him and a bunch of other guys meet at David's house and ride long and swim in the lake over there. He said David has been to Kona multiple times and sure enough, I google him and he's an Kona AG Winner. So I'm supposed to ride with these guys this Saturday morning. Pretty psyched I made this connection.

Swim at lunch, trainer tonight.  Legs shoud be ready to run again tomorrow.  Another crazy-busy week.  Son is home from school tomorrow (again) for superintendent conferences, and my nephew is getting married Sunday - and my daughter is a flower girl.  Not to mention playdates, another birthday party, gymnastics and lacrosse.  My life and my parents lives were so much simpler when I was growing up.  

• Health data: Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 3

Monday - March 28

My legs feel pretty good this morning, nowhere near as beat up as last weekends hilly course.  I have my daughter home today, so I'm probably going to just take a mulligan today and resume my normal Training Plan tomorrow.  Which actually, my normal Training Plan has me 'off' today anyway. :) 

Overall, I'm pretty damn psyched as I have 27 days till my first Triathlon Race of the year (Mini Mighty Man) -- which was my first ever Triathlon Race.  Seven days after the Sprint Race I have a shot at redemption at the Long Island Half Marathon.  Just a month and a week after the Long Island Half is Quassy 70.3, and then a month and a half after Quassy is Lake Placid!!  I like the way my races are separated by nice 5 and 6 week chunks so I can Build Volume inbetween.  Should work out lovely. :)  

My biggest short-term goal is going to be the Long Island Half as I have 34 days to lose a few more pounds and finally break into the 160's.  I'm going to do the best I can with Long Rides on the trainer, but really 90 to 120 minutes tops is my limit on the trainer.  I honestly don't see myself being 'competitive' at the Ironman distance for at least three years to four years (if ever!) so I'm not going to lose any sleep over missing time from my scheduled Long Rides due to the cold weather. 

OH, and my goal is no longer to just squeeze in under sub 1:30.  My goal is to absolutely CRUSH a sub 1:30. 

• Health data: Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 3

Sunday - March 27

Run
  • 1h 30m 10s
  • 13.17 miles
  • 06m 51s /Mi
Afternoon Edit:  Took my son to see 'Diary of a Wimpy Kid 2" ...and it was actually pretty good.  Better than the first one, which wasn't that bad.  

Race Report is done.  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=246146

As Maxwell Smart said - "Missed it by that much." 

Rule# 1 : You cannot complain when you PR. 

Looks like I will be doing the Long Island Half Marathon in May after all :)

Typical pre-Race night crazy dreams and waking up every few hours.  Which can only mean one thing: It's gonna be a good day. :)

• Health data: Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 4

Saturday - March 26

Run
  • 13m 49s
  • 2.00 miles
  • 06m 55s /Mi

3 X 6:30 strides

Originally planned to swim this morning, but then I changed my mind and decided to sleep in. Felt so good :)  Going to take it easy today, go for a 2-mile Run with a few strides. 

Yeah, so tomorrow is all or nothing.  I'm going out at a 6:30/6:40 pace and hopefully I can hold it till the Finish Line.  :)

• Health data: Sleep: 5 Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 4 Hours slept: 12

Dream Chaser's Training Log

April 2011 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
      1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Volume

Time
Distance