Reinvention at Forty

Sunday - May 15

Bike
  • 3h 32m 47s
  • 65.50 miles
  • 18.47 Mi/hr

Z2 Aerobic. This ride wan't a 'fail' but it was a 'dud'. Was supposed to ride for 4 hours and just didn't feel like riding on wet roads with cars anymore. First 1.5 hour was fine, and then it downpoured, twice. Good thing is both Mike and I logged some 'rain cycling' which always comes in handy eventually on Race Day. My body (muscles) feel fine - no soreness, but I am very tired.

5AM: Heading out to meet Mike (mscotthall).  Hoping we can squeak in a Long Ride before the rains come.  Looks like the whole week is going to be a washout.  I guess I better put my other bike back on the trainer.  I hope it stays dry up in New Paltz for you guys, Derrick and JK, racing AmZof today.  Oh, and the movie Thor was freaking awesome!!  Wasn't as good as Spider-Man, but just as good as Ironman.  Excellent movie.  My 7-yr-old boy loved it, too. :)

• Health data: Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 2

Saturday - May 14

Swim
  • 46m 41s
  • 2500.00 meters
  • 01m 52s /100 meters

1 X 1400
1 X 1100

Only had 55 mins to swim before pool closed. Tried to swim straight the entire time but ran out of gas. Took 2' min break, and started again.

Damn chinese food last night bounced my weight back up over 170.  Grrrr.  Off to the pool in 1/2 hour.  Maybe an EZ 5-mile run tonight if time permits.  Want to take my son to see the movie Thor.  As a kid, I loved Thor!  Long Bike tomorrow morning with Mike.  Finally caught up on sleep this morning, so the goal next week is to start getting some morning Runs in, this way I can focus on Biking and Swimming in the afternoons. 

Yeah, so we're here.  We've officially arrived at the beginning of the heart of Triathlon Season.  Time to refocus on the diet.  Time to start going to bed early and getting up early.  No time to think, just time to do.  By Odin's beard, let's make it happen!  

• Health data: Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Hours slept: 10

Friday - May 13

Bike
  • 1h 57m 19s
  • 39.19 miles
  • 20.04 Mi/hr

Z2 Aerobic. Got a flat tire 10 minutes into the ride! Forgot to stop watch for 4 minutes, so I subtracted 4 mins from OA time. CO2 would not blow the tire up all the way. Second back tire flat with this Gatorskin in 2 weeks, so I went back home. Gatorskin is in the garbage. Noticed the back wheel was wobbly side-to-sidde despite the back skewer being very tight. That cannot be good or safe. So I put my Jet 60 on the back. Got a new tube. The entire valve fell off the new tube!! WTF?!? Took the tire off my trainer and took out that tube. Pro2 tire did not want to come off. Put a new gatorskin on my Jet 60. Put a valve extender on tube using electric tape, instead of plumbers tape -- worked nicely. All the shenanigans cost me 45 minutes of ride time.

High of 67 degrees, sunny, with winds at only 8 mph.  Today is looking like my first ride without wind.  Pretty stoked. :)  I feel bad my swim has dropped to the bottom of the priority list this week, but I really have to start focusing on the Bike.   

I was {} that close to signing up for AmZof Long Course charity spot yesterday.  84 miles of biking on hilly terrain and a 20-mile trail run is VERY appealing to me.  Last year, or the year before that, I would have clicked that button.  But I took some more time and thought.  I concluded that AmZof is not my Race this year.  I'm sure I'll do it though, eventually.   

• Health data: Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3

Thursday - May 12

Run
  • 1h 20m 33s
  • 10.41 miles
  • 07m 44s /Mi

Z2 Aerobic - I had a conference call at work that derailed my swim. Tiring day at work. At 5:00 I was deciding between taking a nap and running, as I was very tired. Dragged my butt outside and wouldn't yah know it, I ran the Shoreham hills and it was the easiest 10-miler I've ever run. Gotta love Ironman training.

Feels like time is speeding up.  The days are just super-busy and flying by.  It seems like in just 3 or 4 hours, BAM!, the day is over and it's morning again. 

Swim at lunchtime.  Run this evening.

Wednesday - May 11

Bike
  • 1h 20m 10s
  • 25.75 miles
  • 19.27 Mi/hr

Z2 Aerobic, Mill Rd rollers. Felt better than yesterday but same speed. Oh well :)

Waiting for the town inspector today.  If he comes before lunch, I can get to the pool afterwards.  If he comes after lunch, the pool is scratched and I'll just be able to Run this evening.  I was out at a business dinner later last night so I'm a little tired.  Very proud of myself as I didn't eat any wings - had grilled tuna, brocolli and sweet potatoe with one soda.  Once I catch up on sleep I plan to start running in the early AM. 

Tuesday - May 10

Bike
  • 1h 12m 36s
  • 23.23 miles
  • 19.20 Mi/hr

Z2 Aerobic effort. Mostly rollers and PLENTY of wind.

YES! A bunch of stubborn weight finally fell off.  The weather has been extraordinary lately -- 70 degrees and sunny.  Going for a Lunchtime ride today :)

Monday - May 9

Swim
  • 1h 06m 43s
  • 3400.00 meters
  • 01m 58s /100 meters

500 WU
400 w/ PB
200, 300, 400, 500 @ 45" rest
(1:39, 1:41, 1:44, 1:46 avg)
100 kickboard
500 w/ PB
200 kickboard
300 CD

The main set hurt as much as any I can recall, plus I felt some wicked fatigue. Talking with other triahletes, and regular folk (family and friends) EVERYONE is fatigued right now. I've concluded it's because Spring is finally here. The sun is up earlier, out later, and most of us are spending a lot more time outdoors. After a long Winter our bodies need time to acclimate to sunshine and fresh air. :)

Run
  • 1h 39m 06s
  • 13.12 miles
  • 07m 33s /Mi

Z2. Didn't look at my pace once and just stayed aerobic.

Swim at Lunch, Long Run this evening.  It was very hard not training yesterday, but it was the right thing to do. 

• Health data: Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 4

Dream Chaser's Training Log

May 2011 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31    

Volume

Time
Distance