Chipping Away At It

Friday - May 20

Bike
  • 2h 08m 55s
  • 42.68 miles
  • 19.86 Mi/hr

Z2 - Fatigue, cool temps, no humidity made for a low HR. Even when I pushed on some climbs I couldn't get it up over 136.

Was so nice to have light wind and cool temps. Dare I say, I feel like I am starting to bond with my bike. maybe....

I have to take the mini-van for servicing.  Hopefully it won't take long and I can get a nice ride in at Lunchtime.  Cutting out all the races I did last year has left me feeling a lot better this year.  Training smarter in general has my body feeling really good; rarely sore if ever.  Only sore after Long Runs really.  But very... very... yaaaaawn - tired all the time. :) 

• Health data: Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 2

Thursday - May 19

Swim
  • 1h 02m 25s
  • 3350.00 meters
  • 01m 52s /100 meters

500 WU
400 w/ PB
4 X 200 @ :20"
1:36, 1:39, 1:40, 1:40
100 kickboard
6 X 100 @ :15"
1:41,1:37,1:41,1:38,1:35,1:34
100 kickboard
3 X 50 10"
400 w/ PB
300 CD

As tired as I've ever been during a swim. Lots of lactic fatigue build-up too. Shoulders were sore. Can't remember a swim ever beating me up this bad. Felt like I was doggie-paddling the cool down.

Run
  • 1h 02m 03s
  • 7.83 miles
  • 07m 55s /Mi

Z2. Garmin button broke - AGAIN! :) All three of my Garmins I've owned (205 and two 305's) MODE Button falls in. So now everything will be in MPH.

My neighbor and friend Ed joined me for a lap and a half. I congratulated him on his 3:07 at Boston, and he congratulated me on my 1:29 at LI Half. He couldn't praise the Boston Marathon enough. Damn I wanna run Beantown....

Swim at lunch.  Run this evening.  In just about 3-weeks, I blew threw a cannister of Ironman Perform.  I'm not impressed.  I like Gatorade much better.  Just sayin' ;):)

• Health data: Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 2

Wednesday - May 18

Bike
  • 2h 05m 48s
  • 40.40 miles
  • 19.27 Mi/hr

Z2. The rain stopped and skies cleared, and it was sunny. I set out and it clouded up, then rained on me, and now it's sunny again.

I'm going to take my scale and fling it out my second story window. 

Looks like the rains may hold off, and I just might get an outside Ride in at Lunchtime.  I really need to start getting some more time in the saddle.  

I'm hoping to get an OPWS in my new wetsuit soon.  In mid-winter I bought a TYR Category 5 wetstuit.  Maybe Friday or Saturday...

I'm growing a beard -- again.  Thor has one... so why not me? :)

• Health data: Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 2

Tuesday - May 17

Swim
  • 56m 59s
  • 3100.00 meters
  • 01m 50s /100 meters

500 WU
400 w/ PB
200, 300, 400, 500 @ :45"
(1:36, 1:40, 1:42, 1:44 avg)
100 kickboard
400 w/ PB
300 CD

Felt like shit before the swim. Felt like a million bucks after. Amazing how a great swim can make everything right in the world. :)

Run
  • 1h 01m 30s
  • 7.78 miles
  • 07m 54s /Mi

Z1 Lap 1
Z2 Lap 2,3
Muscles felt good/ no soreness, but I felt pretty tired.

Monday - May 16

So I just signed up for the Philly Marathon -- again.  Last year was to pace my friend Bill to a PR.  This year, it's for the Family.  I really wanted to do the JFK 50-miler, but then I thought long and hard about it.  My wife wants to go to Philly and her friend is running also, and the city is just so damn cool.  The set-up of the race was also phenomenal.  Even considering the crowd size, I can walk right up to the front (they seed people properly!) and the historic highlights along the course are just awesome.  Such a better race and experience for me over New York City, which is just a giant clusterfuck to be honest.  So yeah, I'll be posting more cheesey photo's of me on the Rocky steps around Thanksgiving.  Only this time, I'll have my son on my shoulders. :)  

Having the electric for the pool put in.  That is the priority today.  Hopefully there will be some time left for training....

In retrospect, yesterday's Ride was actually a huge success.  Mike and I rode in a few teeming downpours.  We now both know that if we were to encounter these same conditions at Lake Placid (or any race for that matter) we would be fine. 

Sunday - May 15

Bike
  • 3h 32m 47s
  • 65.50 miles
  • 18.47 Mi/hr

Z2 Aerobic. This ride wan't a 'fail' but it was a 'dud'. Was supposed to ride for 4 hours and just didn't feel like riding on wet roads with cars anymore. First 1.5 hour was fine, and then it downpoured, twice. Good thing is both Mike and I logged some 'rain cycling' which always comes in handy eventually on Race Day. My body (muscles) feel fine - no soreness, but I am very tired.

5AM: Heading out to meet Mike (mscotthall).  Hoping we can squeak in a Long Ride before the rains come.  Looks like the whole week is going to be a washout.  I guess I better put my other bike back on the trainer.  I hope it stays dry up in New Paltz for you guys, Derrick and JK, racing AmZof today.  Oh, and the movie Thor was freaking awesome!!  Wasn't as good as Spider-Man, but just as good as Ironman.  Excellent movie.  My 7-yr-old boy loved it, too. :)

Saturday - May 14

Swim
  • 46m 41s
  • 2500.00 meters
  • 01m 52s /100 meters

1 X 1400
1 X 1100

Only had 55 mins to swim before pool closed. Tried to swim straight the entire time but ran out of gas. Took 2' min break, and started again.

Damn chinese food last night bounced my weight back up over 170.  Grrrr.  Off to the pool in 1/2 hour.  Maybe an EZ 5-mile run tonight if time permits.  Want to take my son to see the movie Thor.  As a kid, I loved Thor!  Long Bike tomorrow morning with Mike.  Finally caught up on sleep this morning, so the goal next week is to start getting some morning Runs in, this way I can focus on Biking and Swimming in the afternoons. 

Yeah, so we're here.  We've officially arrived at the beginning of the heart of Triathlon Season.  Time to refocus on the diet.  Time to start going to bed early and getting up early.  No time to think, just time to do.  By Odin's beard, let's make it happen!  

• Health data: Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Hours slept: 10

Dream Chaser's Training Log

May 2011 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31    

Volume

Time
Distance