Reinvention at Forty

Tuesday - May 31

Run
  • 37m 39s
  • 5.01 miles
  • 07m 31s /Mi

Aerobiz Z2
Felt crummy first 2 miles, then felt good for the last 3.

Daughter is home with me today so just a short, ez run tonight.  Had a fabulous Memorial Day weekend.  God Bless America and the men and women who defend it. 

• Health data: Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3

Monday - May 30

Swim
  • 59m 42s
  • 3200.00 meters
  • 01m 52s /100 meters

Wildwood Lake OPWS with Mike & Derrick. I was so happy to show my two friends this Paradise Lost-like lake. They loved it. So funny that my 100m pace with a pull bouy and with a wetsuit in a lake is identical.

Legs and body feel really good despite the volume the past three days.  Saddle rash is getting better quick.  Still can't believe I have a red tatoo of my chamois pad on my butt.  Good times ;)

Sunday - May 29

Bike
  • 4h 10m 09s
  • 80.48 miles
  • 19.30 Mi/hr

Z1 Hour 1, Z2 next 3 Hours
To Shinnecock Inlet and back.

Really good ride. First hour legs were tired, but they woke up 2 hours in and I was cruising and then pssssst... 3rd time in the last month I got a thick metal staple in my back tire. All three times were 10 miles apart. Even a brand new mighty gatorskin is no match for a constuction staple.

Oh, and got my first saddle sore on my outer left butt cheek. Fucking burns :)

Random Thoughts:

Cannot wait to swim in the lake again tomorrow.  Swimming with Derick (sevenride) and Mike (mscotthall).

I like Jordan Rapp but the article in this months Lava Magazine entitled "Vertical Compliance" is one of the most boring, useless articles I've ever read in a triathlon magazine.

My son yesterday when I came home from my 15-miler, soaked from heat to toe with sweat, after losing 5 pounds in water weight: "Dad, you look really skinny!"

Hopefully a 5-Day Taper will be enough for Quassy.  I couldn't pass up Going Long this weekend with this tremendously awesome weather. :) 

Saddle sores burn

• Health data: Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 3

Saturday - May 28

Run
  • 1h 58m 58s
  • 15.18 miles
  • 07m 50s /Mi

Z2 Aerobic. Flat w/ some Rollers.
Started HOT. Ended COOL. Left a BBQ early so I could get this Run in. While everyone was pounding beers, I was pounding out miles. :)

Weighed 167.2 pounds after this run! Lost 5 pounds in water weight.

Sport
  • Stretching
  • 30m

20 min ice bath, foam roller, yoga, stick.

I was going to Bike Long this morning and Run Sunday, but I needed Sleep.  Badly. Went to bed at 9 PM and got up at 9 AM.  Unfortunately this body needs lots of sleep to function properly.  Something I just have to deal with.  Tomorrow morning Long Bike.  Monday morning BACK TO THE LAKE!!!  Followed by a hilly Run. 

• Health data: Sleep: 5 Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 3 Hours slept: 12

Friday - May 27

Swim
  • 30m 13s
  • 1600.00 meters
  • 01m 53s /100 meters

FIRST OPWS OF THE SEASON! :)

Swam at Wildwood lake for the first time. What. A. Dream. Place. To. Swim. Wow!! The out and back is a perfect mile. Fresh, crystal clear water. Avg 6 feet deep in most places. I can't believe I just found this place now and it's 15 minutes from my house. Met four other triathletes. One guy is doing Mooseman, another guy is doing Ironman Louisville. They all had been swimming in this lake for years and said it's a hidden gem. I can see myself swimming hundreds of miles in this lake over the coming years.

The only negative was my TYR CAT 5 wetsuit. Nice and bouyant, but for the money - I really don't think it's much better than my QR Hydrofull. And the suit is tight, and I really had to hike the arms up to the middle of my forearms cause it really impinged my should movement.

Thursday - May 26

Bike
  • 2h 07m 40s
  • 41.36 miles
  • 19.44 Mi/hr

Aerobic. Hill Repeats.
1692 ft

Run
  • 27m 25s
  • 3.73 miles
  • 07m 21s /Mi

Transition Run
80% humidity
Originally planned to run 5 miles but I didn't bring any fluid or gels with me. So steamy out my oakley's were fogging. Legs felt good, but due to the lack of fuel I had to cut it short.

My brain and body crashed yesterday.  I was acting nasty and beligerent, and then fell asleep from 12:30 to 2:30.  Felt better after the nap.  Electrican finished the pool, took my son to lacrosse practice, and then planned to run when I got home but forgot the wife had Zumba.  So no training yesterday, but it was probably for the better as my body was telling me I needed a Rest Day.

Crazy busy next few days.  Son's lacrosse game tonight, field day at his school tomorrow afternoon, nother lacrosse game Saturday and a party right after the game, BBQ at my parents Sunday, then having friends over our house for a pool party BBQ Monday.  Somehow I have to fit training in while getting the pool and house ready.  But these are all 'High Class Problems' as a friend of mine likes to say. :) 

Bike at Lunch. 

• Health data: Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 2

Wednesday - May 25

The beautiful weather has finally arrived - Sunny and 70 degrees.  YEAH BABY!!  Unfortunately I have to wait home for the electrican to wrap everything up with this darn pool.  Hoping to get out and Run some Hills today!!

IT'S GOING TO BE SUNNY AND 70 DEGREES FOR THE NEXT 10 DAYS!!! I AM FREAKING PSYCHED!!

Dream Chaser's Training Log

May 2011 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31    

Volume

Time
Distance