Reinvention at Forty

Sunday - July 10

Swim
  • 29m 45s
  • 1600.00 meters
  • 01m 52s /100 meters

Wildwood Lake OPWS with Rick and Derrick (sevenride). We did just 1 loop before we hopped on the bikes. My left shoulder is a little sore. Wasn't feeling it today in the water.

Bike
  • 2h 48m 42s
  • 57.96 miles
  • 20.61 Mi/hr

First loop with Rick and Derrick. 20.86 AVG. Not including the WU, was 21.43 AVG. After a 15 min warm-up Derrick went nuts and I pushed into the RED for the next 20 miles. Damn that hurt! I think Derrick was trying to kill Rick and I!!!

2nd loop with just Rick @ 20.39 avg.

• Health data: Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Hours slept: 5.5

Saturday - July 9

Run
  • 1h 25m 16s
  • 10.40 miles
  • 08m 12s /Mi

Aerobic.
1-3 flat and hot/ no shade
4-7.5 hills, but shady
7.5-10 flat and hot/ no shade

Ran out of fluid and fuel at 1 hour 16 mins. Ran home to refuel and couldn't get back out of the house. Oh well. At least I got some hillwork in.

I am loving all this sleep I am getting lately.  2-hour Run on tap today as per 'the plan'.  Last Long Run!! 

• Health data: Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Hours slept: 11

Friday - July 8

Swim
  • 1h 05m 29s
  • 3600.00 meters
  • 01m 49s /100 meters

500 WU
400 w/ PB
5 X 400 @ :45 sec rest
(1:47 1:46 1:48 1:49 1:50)
400 w/ PB
300 CD

Focus on long reach, fully extending shoulders, pulling with lats, rotating on side (rolling hips and reaching; not just laying flat on stomach and chest) Started getting fatigued the last two 400's and my form started falling apart, resulting in the slower times.

The mode button and power button fell off my Garmin Forerunner 305.  I've had this happen to three forerunners in the last 4 years, and had one repaired.  I called Garmin and explained this to them and they are sending me a new one for free!!  May Rest today or may Swim tonight.  Slept till 10:30 AM this morning - yeah baby! 

• Health data: Sleep: 4 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Hours slept: 11

Thursday - July 7

Swim
  • 1h 12m 24s
  • 4103.00 meters
  • 01m 46s /100 meters

2 Loops of WildWood Lake, front and back. One out & back across. Here's the route Derrick and I swam:

www.usatf.org/routes/view.asp?rID=439316

I haven't swam since last Thursday and the first mile my shoulders and lats were hating me! I was sore, tight, it was awful. Then after 30 minutes everything loosened up and swimming felt easy and I was getting some wicked speed. I really feel my stroke lengthening with the all the lake swimming.

Run
  • 1h 01m 23s
  • 7.86 miles
  • 07m 49s /Mi

Z2 Aerobic. That hurt. Pretty darn hot and humid out. No shade. Felt more like a 2-hour run. Wanted to stop and walk a dozen times.

So nice to feel normal this morning.  Got up at 5 AM and most of the fatigue from the weekend is gone.  Normally weekend training fatigue only lasts Monday, sometimes into Tuesday.  Now, thanks to Ironman training, it's been lasting till Wednesday night!

• Health data: Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3

Wednesday - July 6

Bike
  • 1h 17m 42s
  • 25.18 miles
  • 19.44 Mi/hr

Z2. Same exact route as yesterday. Legs are more tired today and it's hotter and windier out today.

I'm tired.

Damn I've been neglecting my swim. Will get to the pool tonight and OPW lake swim with Derrick tomorrow. I need to get a lot more swims in.

• Health data: Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 2 Hours slept: 8

Tuesday - July 5

Bike
  • 1h 16m 15s
  • 25.18 miles
  • 19.81 Mi/hr

Z2/Z3 Felt pretty good. First ride since Mike's accident. 88 degrees and not a cloud in the sky. Simply marvelous.

Run
  • 37m 40s
  • 5.01 miles
  • 07m 31s /Mi

Transition Run. Started in Z1, went up to Z2, then Z3 and finished off Z4. Went through all the gears :) Felt good to have some speed today after all the long, slow workouts.

FYI: I'm done whining and crying about Ironman Training.  Note to self:  Of course this is fucking hard.  DUH!  I think doing most of my workouts during the hottest part of the day, and doing a lot of work outside during the hottest part of the day took a toll on me.  In fact, I missed the first two hours of my own BBQ yesterday.  My BIL and Dad had to man my grill while 24 guests were here, and I was upstairs in bed passed out for two hours. 

Bottom-line is, it's a privlege to be able to train almost every afternoon.  Heck, it's a privilege to be able to afford (monetarily and physically) to be able to do an Ironman.  I'm doing this Ironman because the vast majority of my friends and family cannot.  I am doing this Ironman to test myself.  To dig deeper than I've ever dug before.  To explore my soul, to face adversity, to grow as an individual.   

• Health data: Sleep: 5 Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 2 Hours slept: 12

Monday - July 4

Run
  • 07m 58s
  • 1.00 miles
  • 07m 58s /Mi

4th of July 1-mile Kid Race

I paced my son. He took 17th OA, 1st in his AG Male 8 & Under. My daughter also ran her first race and finished 6th in her AG.

Yeah, not sure what got into me yesterday.  I had a weird Jerry Maguire moment.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7Iq6lOSoPM&feature=related
But I'm good now.  In fact, I'm great!  I am doing the Ironman for the adventure of it.  The excitement.  The sense of accomplishment.  So my family can be proud of me.  I am doing it because it will inspire my kids and hopefully inspire others.  I am doing this because like Fred says: it's really, really, really hard!!  And the harder something is, the more satisfaction I feel when I complete it. 

I am doing the Ironman for the simple reason that I CAN.  I CAN do this.  I WILL do this.  

• Health data: Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 1

Dream Chaser's Training Log

July 2011 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
      1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Volume

Time
Distance