Reinvention at Forty

Monday - July 25

Getting ready to leave Lake Placid.  What a great week we had up here as a family. When I woke up I looked in the mirror and saw I got a small black eye from the swim yesterday!!  It happened at the turn bouy on the second lap of the swim.  :)

I've been waiting to find out the answer to the question: What beats up your body more, a stand-alone marathon or an Ironman?  And the answer, for me, is defiinitely a stand-alone marathon.  I am able to walk around just fine this morning, whereas I am barely able to walk the day after a marathon.  However, an Ironman is much harder all-around because it's a longer day and, oddly, my shoulders and core feel pretty beat-up today. 
I can't wait to get home and write my race report.

Congrats again to all my BT friends who competed yesterday and thank you to everyone for the awesome inspires!!! 

Sunday - July 24

Bike
  • 6h 05m 01s
  • 112.00 miles
  • 18.41 Mi/hr
Run
  • 4h 27m 47s
  • 26.20 miles
  • 10m 13s /Mi
Swim
  • 1h 12m 47s
  • 3862.43 meters
  • 01m 53s /100 meters
What an amazing day from start to finish.  Total time: 11:58:55.  1 minute 5 seconds under my goal time!!  I was executing the perfect race: 1:12 swim; 6:05 Bike (got all my nutrition in, and almost even split both loops within 5 mins), first 12 miles of the run I felt great and was running around an 8:00 flat pace, and then my GI system just shut down.  I had sharp cramping in my lower abdomen that forced me to walk on and off from mile 13 to 22.  But I was determined to get sub 12 and with 4 miles left got back to an 8:30-ish pace.  I don't know if was the bubbly coke (it wasn't flat), antibiotics I was on, or just plain bad luck; but regardless I finished.  And finished triumphantly and DID NOT DO IT ALONE.  I had so much help.  Huge thanks to all my BT Friends and my Mentor Group. 

I'm really beatup right righty now - sunburnt, was hypothermic for 2 hours post race (purple face, hands and feet - spent 30 minutes in a hot tub) but it was all worth it.

And huge Kudos to my buddy Michael Hall who finished with a tremendously fast time despite having a bum shoulder from a bike accident just a month ago..

Saturday - July 23

All signed up for Ironman Lake Placid 2012!!! Had a good run yesterday. Kids went bungie jumping yesterday and played mini golf. We have a kitchenette unit this year, that I already reserved for next year!, and getting here early in the week has made everything less stressful and more relaxing. The volunteers and local residents have been so welcoming and hospitable. I've really been able to soak it all in and I can't wait for tomorrow. Thanks to ALL my BT friends for the awesome inspires!!!

Friday - July 22

Run
  • 28m 59s
  • 3.43 miles
  • 08m 27s /Mi

EZ Run around Mirror Lake. Hot and humid

Kids Fun Run today!! Short EZ Run around the lake tonight.

• Health data: Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 4

Thursday - July 21

Swim
  • 38m 02s
  • 1931.00 meters
  • 01m 58s /100 meters

1-loop of Mirror Lake. Water was choppy. Felt OK. Both shoulders a little heavy.

Bike
  • 53m 25s
  • 15.35 miles
  • 17.24 Mi/hr

Through downtown LP to start of Keene descent, turned around and went down to River Road, climbed the Cherries and the Bears. Felt really good.

Yeah, the climb to the Keene descent is much tougher than the Cherry's and the Bears. Met a really nice guy Jeff on River Rd and chatted a bunch. It's his 4th time doing LP!

Up in beautiful Lake Placid. Forgot just how terrible cell phone reception is here. Going down to the expo and to swim a lap in Mirror Lake. Short run later too. Hopefully the body will cooperate today!!

Wednesday - July 20

Run
  • 19m 48s
  • 2.39 miles
  • 08m 17s /Mi

Another day, another terrible workout. Was supposed to be a 5-miler - which for me is a walk in the park - but my legs were heavy and stiff. My right achilles was also really tight, and my achilles NEVER bother me. I'm stopping the anitbiotics till after my race.

Tuesday - July 19

Swim
  • 28m 31s
  • 1320.00 meters
  • 02m 10s /100 meters

Wildwood Lake. Swam alongside Mike (mscotthall) to see how his shoulder would feel in a wetsuit. Was happy to see that Mike was able to swim despite the injury and HE WILL BE AN IRONMAN this Sunday :)

Bike
  • 20m 02s
  • 5.84 miles
  • 17.49 Mi/hr

Trainer. Felt absolutely terrible. Quads burned. Was supposed to do 45 minutes. Was 90 degrees in my garage, and I'd been up for 15 hours so I threw in the towel halfway through/

• Health data: Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 3

Dream Chaser's Training Log

July 2011 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
      1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Volume

Time
Distance