This is What We Do

Saturday - July 30

Swim
  • 10m
  • -----
  • -----

Couple of warm-up strokes, sprints, and kickboard in my backyard pool :) Shoulders and lats feel awesome.

• Health data: Sleep: 5 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Hours slept: 11

Friday - July 29

Run
  • 41m 40s
  • 5.16 miles
  • 08m 04s /Mi

EZ Aerobic

Wanted to run 8 miles, but figured I'd play it safe. I feel really good energy-wise and physically.

• Health data: Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 3

Thursday - July 28

Run
  • 36m 33s
  • 5.00 miles
  • 07m 19s /Mi

That felt so damn good, especially the last mile where I just put her in 5th gear and opened up the engine. Due to fear and it not really being beneficial to Ironman training, I've run the last 3 months ultra-conservatively. But now I am an Ironman. DONE. Now I can get to the business of running fast!! AND YES, I will be careful of course. But after running a 3:15 downhill marathon last fall, a 10 min mile Ironman-marathon did nothing to my legs. Calves and quads are feeling, honestly, 100% fine. Hamstrings amazingly are about 90%. Wheeeeeee!!!

I'm itching to start training for IMUSA 2012.  No I am not kidding.  My foot is shaking with hyperactive energy right now just thinking about it.  I can't wait till my 70.3 at Pocono.  I'm obsessing about 2012 in fact.  I'm insane.  I know.  But I'm surrounded by friends here, which is so awesome.  My mom and wife can't stop telling the world about what I did; meanwhile, I just can't wait to do it again - and faaaaster!!!

I think I'm going to Run tonight.  EZ of course.  Bike tomorrow.  I'll start swimming again Monday or Tuesday. 

The one thing I won't miss about Ironman training is the lonnnnng bikes.  I don't mind 50 or 60 mile bike rides.  I like them even.  But when it gets over 3 hours on the Bike, I start not liking the Bike so much.  I am pretty damn psyched that I can just ride 3 hours and under and really start focusing on my Running again.  For Philly, I want to try and touch 70 miles per week - carefully, slowly, methodically of course.  I have a 10k road race at the end of August and I really want to break 40 minutes for a 10k.  I AM SO HAPPY I GET TO RUN AS MUCH AS I WANT FROM NOW TILL DECEMBER!!!!!  I feel like throwing a party. :)

Wednesday - July 27

Ironman Lake Placid 2011 Race Report

One of my sunburn spots has a blood blister.  Nasty, I know.  And it freaking hurts!! Until that heals, I can't see resuming training.  So shooting for a Swim maybe Friday.  Perhaps a light spin on the Trainer tomorrow...  Race Report will be done today. :)   

Tuesday - July 26

My shoulders are really sunburnt. OUCH!  Despite putting sunblock on the morning of, and in the Run transition tent, I still got scorched.  Writing my Race Report right now. :)

• Health data: Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 2

Monday - July 25

Getting ready to leave Lake Placid.  What a great week we had up here as a family. When I woke up I looked in the mirror and saw I got a small black eye from the swim yesterday!!  It happened at the turn bouy on the second lap of the swim.  :)

I've been waiting to find out the answer to the question: What beats up your body more, a stand-alone marathon or an Ironman?  And the answer, for me, is defiinitely a stand-alone marathon.  I am able to walk around just fine this morning, whereas I am barely able to walk the day after a marathon.  However, an Ironman is much harder all-around because it's a longer day and, oddly, my shoulders and core feel pretty beat-up today. 
I can't wait to get home and write my race report.

Congrats again to all my BT friends who competed yesterday and thank you to everyone for the awesome inspires!!! 

Sunday - July 24

Bike
  • 6h 05m 01s
  • 112.00 miles
  • 18.41 Mi/hr
Run
  • 4h 27m 47s
  • 26.20 miles
  • 10m 13s /Mi
Swim
  • 1h 12m 47s
  • 3862.43 meters
  • 01m 53s /100 meters
What an amazing day from start to finish.  Total time: 11:58:55.  1 minute 5 seconds under my goal time!!  I was executing the perfect race: 1:12 swim; 6:05 Bike (got all my nutrition in, and almost even split both loops within 5 mins), first 12 miles of the run I felt great and was running around an 8:00 flat pace, and then my GI system just shut down.  I had sharp cramping in my lower abdomen that forced me to walk on and off from mile 13 to 22.  But I was determined to get sub 12 and with 4 miles left got back to an 8:30-ish pace.  I don't know if was the bubbly coke (it wasn't flat), antibiotics I was on, or just plain bad luck; but regardless I finished.  And finished triumphantly and DID NOT DO IT ALONE.  I had so much help.  Huge thanks to all my BT Friends and my Mentor Group. 

I'm really beatup right righty now - sunburnt, was hypothermic for 2 hours post race (purple face, hands and feet - spent 30 minutes in a hot tub) but it was all worth it.

And huge Kudos to my buddy Michael Hall who finished with a tremendously fast time despite having a bum shoulder from a bike accident just a month ago..

Dream Chaser's Training Log

July 2011 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
      1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Volume

Time
Distance

Upcoming races