This is What We Do

Monday - July 4

Run
  • 07m 58s
  • 1.00 miles
  • 07m 58s /Mi

4th of July 1-mile Kid Race

I paced my son. He took 17th OA, 1st in his AG Male 8 & Under. My daughter also ran her first race and finished 6th in her AG.

Yeah, not sure what got into me yesterday.  I had a weird Jerry Maguire moment.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7Iq6lOSoPM&feature=related
But I'm good now.  In fact, I'm great!  I am doing the Ironman for the adventure of it.  The excitement.  The sense of accomplishment.  So my family can be proud of me.  I am doing it because it will inspire my kids and hopefully inspire others.  I am doing this because like Fred says: it's really, really, really hard!!  And the harder something is, the more satisfaction I feel when I complete it. 

I am doing the Ironman for the simple reason that I CAN.  I CAN do this.  I WILL do this.  

• Health data: Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 1

Sunday - July 3

Run
  • 2h 48m 06s
  • 20.28 miles
  • 08m 17s /Mi

Lap 1 - 10.03 mi @ 8:16 avg
Lap 2 - 10.25 mi @ 8:18 avg

Holy humidity Batman. Good thing was it was mostly cloudy, but pretty muggy. Went through about a half gallon of gatorade. Took a a quick break between laps and refueled and changed into 2nd dry outfit. First 3 miles of this run were just awful. Then the body and legs cames around.

Oh, and I'm practicing what I preach. I ran at the hottest most humid point of the day. I know if I had run this early in the morning, or the evening, I probably would have ran around 8:00 flat avg or just under. And I would have suffered A LOT less. But that's not going to prepare me as well for the true TEST on July 24th.

Sport
  • Stretching
  • 30m

ice bath, yoga, foam roller, stick

IS IRONMAN TOO MUCH?

DAMMIT, I can't get a 100-mile bike ride in
.  Fudge.  Somehow my biggest volume week ever culminated with needing to fiinish the landscaping around my pool, digging a trench around said pool, weeding, and moving 3 yards of rocks to prepare for 20+ people coming over for 4th of July tomorrow night.  I'm beyond wiped out.  I am toast.  Stick a fork in me.  And I'm out of caffeine gels.  WTF.  Four plus years of training and I've never, ever been without my caffeine gels for Long Workouts.  But shit, this all pales in comparison to the fact my buddy and Ironman Lake Placid training partner Mike is walking around with his left arm in a sling.  Sigh...  breaks my heart to see him like this...  wondering if all his training over the last six months was for naught.  I know the feeling all too well.  And I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

I always believed people when they said "Making it to the start of an Ironman healthy is the toughest battle."  I really did believe them.  After an injury and DNS for myself last year.  After my buddy Sean went over his handle-bars last year during his last Long Ride for LP.  After seeing Mike hit the pavement yesterday. After hearing of the carnage in my own Tri Team.  The surgery our local Kona hero has scheduled.  Seeing all the people DNS from last years thread and this years thread.  Yeah... it's truly sunk in. 

I met a coach at one of the OPWS and she admitted to training on avg 15 to 17 hours a week.  She did Rev3 half, and just chicked me!  But she also admitted she has zero desire to do an Ironman.  I met another gent just this week at another OPWS.  He's been swimming at this lake for 4 years.  He kept swimming after we finished our 2-miles.  Yet... he too admitted, he has no desire to do an Ironman.  I know a handful of coaches who have admitted, the true motivation behind them doing an Ironman was just to get it on their resume. Which I see nothing wrong with but truth is, if not for their coaching business, many would stay at the 70.3 distance.  Even at the scene of my friend Mike's accident, the girl was in the middle of an 18-mile long run.  And she kept asking me about our training and the Ironman distances.  And she couldn't conceive running a marathon after all that swimming and biking.  

Yeah, it's starting to sink in how crazy this Ironman stuff is.  Other endurance athletes think it's crazy.  Even athletes entirely capable of completing and even 'competing' in an Ironman don't want any part of it.  I'm beginning to question the Ironman.  Is it healthy?  Is it gluttony?  Is it too much?  Is this too punishing to the body and soul? 

• Health data: Sleep: 5 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 2 Hours slept: 12

Saturday - July 2

Bike
  • 3h 21m 30s
  • 62.80 miles
  • 18.70 Mi/hr

My friend Mike went over the handle-bars and wiped out pretty good. He was turning to say hi to a girl he knew running. We helped him to the side of the road and he introduced me to the girl. A minute later he introduced us again, and then again, and then again. He then asked me ten times if his bike was okay. His short term memory was gone. I took a look at his helmet and the foam was cracked straight through on the side toward the front. I called his wife to take him to the hospital. And I called my wife to come get me cause I was not in the state of mind to keep riding. His shoulder was also pretty banged up. Going to the hospital shortly to check up on him.

Please feel free to send him some get well wishes. Mike trains as hard and consistent as anyone I know, and hopefully his head and shoulder are okay and he can still toe the line in three weeks. http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?...

Sport
  • Stretching
  • 20m

ice bath, foam roller, yoga, stick

• Health data: Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 2

Friday - July 1

10 Year Wedding Anniversary today.  Doing some pool landscaping today, maybe an hour of Biking later, and then night out with the wife.  10 years... 

• Health data: Sleep: 2 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Hours slept: 11

Thursday - June 30

Swim
  • 1h 01m 06s
  • 3200.00 meters
  • 01m 55s /100 meters

Wildwood Lake OPWS. Arms and shoulders are tired. Swam with Rick, Ian and Dan.

Run
  • 1h 03m 50s
  • 7.93 miles
  • 08m 03s /Mi

Hampton Hills Golf Course Road. My friend Rick blew-up on this run Tuesday so today he got some redemption, and I I just held on for the ride.

I am so happy and grateful for where I am in my training.  I'm training so much smarter than last year, and although my volume is a little lower than I'd like, I am getting in Quality vs. Quantity.  Lots of lake swimming in my wetsuit; lots of hills on the Bike and Run.  Lots of Ironman Race-Specific speed and terrain.  Good stuff.  Body is holding up real well, and although I am tired; it's a good tired. :)

Wednesday - June 29

Bike
  • 2h 38m 03s
  • 51.34 miles
  • 19.49 Mi/hr

Z2 - Mill Rd. to Dream Come True Ranch Manorville, to Hampton Hills Golf Club and back. Flat/Rollers.

I'm clear out of caffeine gels. NOT GOOD. Needed some for this ride. My legs were hating me the beginning of this ride and at the end, but oddly not in the middle. Simply beautiful outside.

Tuesday - June 28

Run
  • 1h 08m 12s
  • 7.93 miles
  • 08m 36s /Mi

Hampton Hills Golf Course Road. This run was absolutely brutal. Tough hills, hot, Derrick and I pushed each other. Sufferering was equal to a 70.3 race only there were no aid stations or finishers medal :)

Swim
  • 58m 45s
  • 3200.00 meters
  • 01m 50s /100 meters

Wildwood Lake Swim

Good swim. Form held together well. Went flat out the last 500 meters.

Lake swimming today with Derrick and Rick, followed by a hilly 8-mile run.  Tomorrow I plan to get back on the bike for a 2hr ride. 

• Health data: Sleep: 4 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Hours slept: 10

Dream Chaser's Training Log

July 2011 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
      1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Volume

Time
Distance