Reinvention at Forty

Wednesday - August 17

Run
  • 34m 35s
  • 5.01 miles
  • 06m 54s /Mi

Tempo Run

First 2 miles felt pretty EZ. Then I got a cramp in my right side and it HURT. But I pushed through. Thankfully I'm done with Tempo Bike/Run work until next week. Everything for the rest of the week is EZ PZ Aerobic!! :)

I'm tired.  I'm forgetting things.  Some has to do with stress - just normal life stress.  I've also been pushing the pace on the Bike and Run.  It's felt good though.  From January to July I was scared to do any type of intensity on the Bike/Run cause my entire focus was getting to the Lake Placid starting line healthy.  Now with Ironman behind me (Thank God) and my focus being on shorter distances, my training focus has been on getting some speed back.  The body is up to it and feeling strong, but the brain is tired.  I'm getting lots of sleep so hopefully this fatigue will pass soon.

• Health data: Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 2 Hours slept: 10.5

Tuesday - August 16

Bike
  • 1h 11m 55s
  • 24.97 miles
  • 20.83 Mi/hr

Time Trial - Mill Rd Rollers

I love you cool August breeze.

Monday - August 15

Run
  • 1h 09m 26s
  • 9.08 miles
  • 07m 39s /Mi

Aerobic w/ 8 X 100m Strides

Slept in my Zoot CompressRx tights last night and as a result legs felt pretty springy this morning. 75 degrees and cool breeze also helped greatly.

Thank You Mr.Pfitz may I have another.

Sport
  • Stretching
  • 15m

the-stick, foam roller, yoga, immediatley post-Run

I wanted to Swim at the pool this morning but needed to take my son to the doctor for an insect bite.  During the afternoon the pool is a camp, so if I want to swim I'll have to go tonight.  If I don't maybe a short run, or spin on the trainer.

Status Report:  Okay.  Body is recovered from getting body slammed on the asphalt.  This time allowed me to Recover from LP as well.  Got a 10k I want to PR on August 28th.  It's a wicked flat fast course I've run before.  It can be hot & humid and offers little shade though.  Then it's onto an Olympic Triathlon race on 9.11.  I did this race back in 2008.  TJ Tollakson did it that year, too, and crushed the course record.  I'd like to PR that race/distance as well.  Then I'll probably do Cow Harbor 10k as a hard training day, as it's a brutal course, and it'll be 2 weeks and a day out from my 70.3  Which will leave me about 8-9 days of PEAK Training and then a six-day taper till Pocono Mountains half-Ironman; and my goal at this 70.3 is PR and Sub 5.  The elusive sub 5 hours that I've been chasing since Eagleman 2009; a half-dozen 70.3's later we'll try for a sub 5 yet again. :)  And worst-case scenario, if Pocono beats me up badly, I can still take 12 days to Recover and then have 5 consecutive weeks of just Running, plus a Taper week, before the Philadelphia Marathon... and then I can rest.   Simple. :) 

To achieve these goals I need to put a strong focus on my Recovery, train smart and consistent, and I need to really get back to eating lean meats, veggies and fruits and knock-out the garbage.  Dream Chaser Operation 10k - Oly - 10k - 70.3  -26.2 Starts Now!!

• Health data: Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3

Sunday - August 14

Run
  • 1h 20m 22s
  • 10.16 miles
  • 07m 55s /Mi

EZ Aerobic. Entire run was in pouring rain - YEEEAAH!!

Sport
  • Stationary Biking
  • 15m

the-stick, foam roller, yoga, immediatley post-Run

Was supposed to run 10-miles with Bill this morning but awoke at 5AM to thundering, lightning, pouring rain.  Hopefully it'll dry out by this evening.  I'd run at the gym but I don't have a membership anywhere.  I slept till 11:20 yesterday morning AND this morning.  Shhhhh.... :)

Saturday - August 13

Run
  • 31m 07s
  • 4.14 miles
  • 07m 31s /Mi

Aerobic. A little humid, but cooler than normal for this time of year. Running legs are coming back.

Quads are still sore from yesterdays Hillfest.

I'm a huge fan of the original Wall Street movie from 1987.  One of my fave films all time.  Last night I finally brought myself to watch Wall Street 2: Money Never Sleeps.  My friends who are also big Bud Fox, Gordon Gekko fans saw it already and told me NOT to waste my time.  But I had to see for myself.  What a damn trainwreck.  It was painful to watch.  Absolutely painful.  

Short Run today. Medium Long-Run tomorrow.  Next week I start the Pfitz Plan in earnest.  Yeeeeeeah.  :) 

Friday - August 12

Bike
  • 3h 48m 05s
  • 71.96 miles
  • 18.93 Mi/hr

Epic Ride w/ Derrick. Morning started by meeting Derrick who showed up with NO HELMET ON!! Ironman Canada Training fatigue is the culprit as he only realized halfway to meeting me that he'd forgotten it!! Mike Stud Hall loaned us one. And cause we're Ironmen, we can do that - share helmets and all :)

Since Derrick is 16 days out from Ironman Canada, and this was his last legit Long Ride, I figured we should make it count!! We road hills all along the North Shore -- we rode the Cedar Beach Tri Course front and back; Sound Beach and Rocky Point hills; the Shoreham 5k course hills, down to the powerplant hills, and then we road (for me the first time) the Flower Field Hill in Wading River. Then we rode Edwards all the way to the south shore and I hammered the hill by the Riverhead Courts as hard as I could. I normally avg 11 mph on that climb, but today I went all-out and I was just a hair below 14 mph. Hurt so damn bad! :) Then we rode the Hampton Hills Golf course hills. From there Derrick went to Cupsogue beach to meet his family and I turned around to make the 20-mile trek back home and as soon as I turned around BAM! ... f*cking Headwinds. After killing myself on the hills I suffered into headwinds for about 20 miles. The last 6 miles I absolutely POPPED!! I blew up. Avg'd 17.6 mph for those 6 miles. GOOD TIMES!!! I. Am. Shot. :)

Forgot to stop my Garmin twice so I looked on the Garmin Training center map to see the gaps and measured 6 miles missing.

Thursday - August 11

Run
  • 1h 06m 16s
  • 7.87 miles
  • 08m 25s /Mi

Hampton Hills run w/ Derrick

Oh I missed you dearly Fire Road :)

Dream Chaser's Training Log

August 2011 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13