This is What We Do

Wednesday - August 24

Bike
  • 1h 16m 36s
  • 25.01 miles
  • 19.59 Mi/hr

Aerobic. Hmmm... we're not supposed to get the hurricane until this weekend but it's uber-windy out right now. Legs felt weak and shelled to start this ride.

At mile 18 I see this lady with an early 80's road bike upside down on the side of the road. So, of course, I stop to help her. Her hanger was bent and her cassette and chain were so caked in black grime and road gook, you could barely make out the teeth on the cassette and the links on the chain. I tried to turn the pedals and it's turning like a thousand-year-old booby trap from an Indiana Jones. So I bang the wheel off and force the chain off and down a few teeth on the cassette. Then out of the blue we hear Pssssssssssstttttttt...tt...t My back tire just goes dead flat while leaning on a telephone pole.

Really!?

I end up putting her wheel back on and get the wheel to spin. I tell her NOT to shift and to get the bike serviced immediately. I then changed my flat. The tube was my michelin latex I bought 2.5 years ago, so yeah - it was due for a change.

My son came in 3rd place in first BMX race last night!! 

• Health data: Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3

Tuesday - August 23

Swim
  • 31m
  • 1700.00 meters
  • 01m 49s /100 meters

Wildwood Lake w/ Derrick. Felt much better in the water today.

Run #1
  • 19m 47s
  • 2.24 miles
  • 08m 50s /Mi

Super EZ Run w/ Derrick, who is doing Ironman Canada this Sunday.

I'm going to run a 10-miler at lunch.

Run #2
  • 1h 16m 54s
  • 10.09 miles
  • 07m 37s /Mi

Aerobic. Felt great the entire time. There was this cool breeze from start to finish that was priceless.

Bagged my Run yesterday.  Felt fatigued so I decided to Rest.

I smoked cigarettes from age 11 to 31.  In that 20-year time span, I tried to quit close to a thousand times.  And eventually I did.  I feel the same way about junk food, soda, processed food.  I need to quit it.  I've been eating very badly the last couple of weeks.  I know it's close to impossible to cut out all processed food, but I need to do my best to severely limit my processed food intake and just cold-turkey quit the junk food.  I want to do this for my health and well being.  I also want to do this because I want to explore my potential as a triathlete and runner, and that requires getting my body fat down to a single percentage.  I'm never going to sratch my potential at my current body mass.  I need to get back to a diet of fruits, veggies and lean meats starting now.

Lake Swim/ Run.

• Health data: Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Hours slept: 7

Monday - August 22

Democracy is coming to Lybia.  Go figure!

I really needed that sleep last night.  I was averaging 5 hours sleep the past three nights and was starting to get run down.  Nice EZ Aerobic Run at lunch.  Lake swim with Derrick, Rick and (hopefully) Mike Hall tomorrow morning, followed by an EZ Run. 

I'm on the fence about my 10k this Sunday.  I'll probably still do it, I just hate losing training time cause I'm gonna need 2 or 3 days of Taper and it usually takes a good 3 to 4 days to Recover.  We'll see. . . :)

Ironman Lake Placid airs on Universal Sports tomorrow at 2 ET.  Yeah boooooyeeee!!!!!

• Health data: Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Hours slept: 12

Sunday - August 21

Bike
  • 3h 32m 14s
  • 54.49 miles
  • 15.40 Mi/hr

Tour de Goshen.
3211 feet of climbing.

Rode with my friend Mike P. Very picturesque hilly course that reminded me a lot of Quassy/ Litchfield. I had never used a 'cue sheet' before. And they had green arrows painted on the road, so he needs a cue sheet, right? At mile 18 we were supposed to make a right but instead went straight. And oddly, there were more green arrows. Before we knew it we were 4 towns away. And during that wrong turn we had made another wrong turn. By the time we made it back to the mile 18 turn, my garmin read 45 miles! EPIC wrong turn!!Good times :)

• Health data: Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 2

Saturday - August 20

Swim
  • 31m 07s
  • 1700.00 meters
  • 01m 50s /100 meters

Wildwood Lake w/ Derrick. Felt a lot better than 2 days ago. Amazing how quickly swim fitness vanishes.

Run
  • 1h 34m 26s
  • 12.10 miles
  • 07m 48s /Mi

Aerobic. Heat made this a tough run.

Sport
  • Stretching
  • 30m

the-stick, foam roller, yoga, ice bath

Medium Long-Run today.  Metric Century upstate NY tomorrow - Tour de Goshen.  Tomorrow will be a leisurely social ride with lots of hills. :)

• Health data: Fatigue: 3

Friday - August 19

Bronx Zoo. :)

Thursday - August 18

Swim
  • 32m 52s
  • 1700.00 meters
  • 01m 56s /100 meters

Wildwood Lake. I've been hitting the Bike and Run hard, and I haven't swum much. The result was I got smooooked today by Ian, Rick and Derrick. I was close to 3 mins slower than normal. Body is tired. As Yeats would say: SUCK IT SWIM!! :)

Run
  • 32m 51s
  • 3.43 miles
  • 09m 35s /Mi

Recovery Pace. Ran with Derrick after the swim. He's tapering for Ironman Canada next week, and well - my legs are shot, so we jogged it.

Taking the rest of today off.  And taking tomorrow off completely.  I need it.  I PR'd my 25-mile rolling hill Bike training route, and yesterday I PR'd my normal 5-mile Run local double-loop.  These are all really good signs.  I'm very happy.  But now I need to rest. :) 

• Health data: Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 3 Hours slept: 5

Dream Chaser's Training Log

August 2011 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31   

Volume

Time
Distance