Run
  • 41m 19s
  • 5.00 miles
  • 08m 16s /Mi

Z1

"The Plan"

Got my wave assignment for ToughMan - Wave 1 ... just like at Rev3 Quassy.  But unlike Quassy, this time I don't  plan on letting a parade of people pass me on the bike.  I'm using Toughman as a hard-training day/experiment for my 'A Race' - Pocono 70.3.   So "The Plan" is to time trial the Swim and hammer the Bike, then just try and have an aerobic even-split Run.  I want to see if I can Time Trial the Bike course, which is very similar to the Pocono Bike course with a few tough climbs but LOTS of rollers, allow for Recovery on descents, and see how I will feel come the Run.

The top profile is Toughman and the bottom one is Pocono.  Although they look different they are very similar in overall elevation gain, both are chockful of rollers (which I enjoy riding) and both have a few challenging long climbs sprinkled in, albeit at different spots on the course.  So "The Plan" is EZ Bike and EZ Runs from today till next weekend (which will act as an artifical taper) ; use Toughman as Hard Tempo Swim and Bike Effort, followed by 5 days of active Recovery, another Peak Bike/Run weekend, and then two-weeks of Taper for Pocono where hopefully I can use some of what I learn at Toughman to pick an appropriate Bike Effort/Pace so I can have a successful and faaaast Run at Pocono, and hopefully end up with a wicked PR. 

So that's "The Plan!!" Two 70.3's three weeks a part.  We'll see what happenes.  :)  

• Health data: Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3
Swim
  • 43m 55s
  • 2400.00 meters
  • 01m 50s /100 meters

Wildwood Lake. Best Swim since Lake Placid. Wanted to Run after but Rick ran yesterday, he's tapering for Ironman Wisconsin. So I'll run solo at lunch.

Run
  • 48m 33s
  • 6.50 miles
  • 07m 28s /Mi

Aerobic. Planned 8 miles but last nights mexican had me hauling butt back home. :)

• Health data: Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 3
Bike
  • 1h 15m 08s
  • 25.08 miles
  • 20.03 Mi/hr

Aerobic. 3 mins into my ride a powerwash truck almost squished me. I jammed on my breaks and my kneecap got buried in my aero cup. Ouch. Nice little gash on my knee just below my scar from falling off my bike earlier this month. I thought about bagging the bike right then and there but how can I do the 'ToughMan HIM' when I'm not tough? So I Toughened the F*ck Up and did the ride with a bloody knee.

When I got off the bike I was nauseous from sun and heat so I bagged the Run till tonight.

Okay, 4th consecutive night of 10 hours+ sleep.  If the fatigue does not dissipate, I need to get some bloodwork done; although, I already know the culprit is a shitty diet and stress.  And I have zero other symptons, meaning:  aside from the fatigue I feel perfectly fine.  I am hoping a 25-mile Bike and 10k Run at lunchtime can break me out of my funk.  Tomorrow morning I plan to revisit the Lake for a Long Swim. 

Oh, and something to get really excited about -- My son is doing his first Triathlon Race Saturday, Sept 10th!!  And not just an IronKids Fun Run where they just run, this is a ToughKids Triathlon where he will Swim 100 yards, Bike 2.5 miles, and Run .5 miles!  With an actual timing chip, bib, transition area, finishing under a ToughKids finisher chute and (I believe) posted results!!  I had to sign him up with USAT and he's getting a USAT card and everything.  USAT Membership for the youths is only $5.00 for the entire year!  At least somethin' is cheap.  And, of course, the following day I am going to do the Toughman Half.  I'm using this Race as a (f)un training day. ;)  The course is very rural and picturesque and I'm really looking forward to just enjoying the scenery.  A bunch of the run is also on packed dirt, which I anticipate will be easier on the legs and make for quicker recovery in plenty of time for Pocono 70.3.  I believe I do feel my mojo coming back. :)  

• Health data: Sleep: 4 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 2
I bailed on my buddy Rick this morning.  Was supposed to swim in the Lake and run 10 miles after and I just can't.  I'm exhausted.  I've been averaging 10 hours of sleep a night since Saturday so it's not for lack of rest.  Guess I need some downtime and a Recovery week at the least.  My mojo meter is on empty.  Probably just need a few days off. . . THE HORROR!!!

• Health data: Fatigue: 2
Despite 10 hours of sleep last night, I'm tired today.  Drained even. 

Like Austin Powers, I'm looking for my mojo, baby.  I need to race.  Ironman isn't a race; it's a survival endurance event.  I need a race.  A speed fix.  So aside from dragging my lacrosse net, BBQ, patio furniture and pool ladder out of the garage, no training today.  Oh, I rode a few miles on the bike with my son.  So I did something. :) 

I think training for a half-marathon and a 70.3 at the same time is messing my head up.  Some people on this site claim you can do it "rather easily".  BullSnikes.  Not me.  I think I need to focus on the half Ironman, and then switch gears to Marathon training AFTER my 70.3.  I think that's the crux of my problem. 

Run
  • 37m 12s
  • 4.73 miles
  • 07m 52s /Mi

Aerobic. Little windy out ;) Wanted to get 5 miles in but that damn Acai Berry EFS Gel just goes right through me! Almost didn't make it home to the bathroom in time!!

Amazingly, we have power.   Many of the people in my town don't.  We took a quick ride out of our development, which used to be a farm so it is not heavily wooded, and headed into the heavily wooded parts of town and DAMN!!  Traffic lights are all out.  Trees are down everywhere.  Wires are on the ground, telephones are broken and leaning.  I didn't feel safe dricing around with the family so we quickly checked out the Long Island sound -- which looked like the ocean with white caps -- and came right back home. 

Run
  • 1h 03m 23s
  • 8.07 miles
  • 07m 51s /Mi

Aerobic. Went into this Run as tired/fatigued as I've ever been to start a run. Ran super-EZ the first 10k and then started to feel good the last few miles. Humidity was off the charts. I was drenched from head to toe. Legs were strong despite the body being tired. I'm shocked the avg pace was sub 8.

I'm feeling pretty beat up -- good sore :) -- from some quality workouts this week.  Need to bring in porch furniture from outside, batten down the hatches, and get ready for Hurricane Irene.  Hopefully get in a EZ Run before she hits. 

Be Safe Everyone.

• Health data: Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 3

Dream Chaser's Training Log

September 2011 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
     1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 

Time
Distance