Reinvention at Forty

Wednesday - September 28

My work situation is getting ugly, fast.  It's deteriorating quickly.  It's sad for me because I've been there for 14 years.  I started with this company when I was 23 years old.  It's also sad how corporations can be unethical and immoral, and get away with it.  But hey, it's just a job.  My job does not define me.  

EZ Bike ride at lunchtime.    

Tuesday - September 27

Swim
  • 35m 33s
  • 2000.00 meters
  • 01m 46s /100 meters

500 WU
100 kickboard (not timed)
500 Race Pace
5 X 100 @ 2' (1:31,1:33,1:31,1:34,1:32)
500 CD

Good swim. Long reach came easy, engaged lats, was able to hold good form start to finish.

Run
  • 40m 41s
  • 5.00 miles
  • 08m 08s /Mi

ez aerobic

No Boston Marathon for me in 2012.  Here's hoping I can GET R DONE at Philly. 

Dear Robert:

Thank you for submitting your application for entry into the 2012 Boston Marathon. Regrettably, we are unable to accept your application due to field size limitations and the large number of applications we received from qualified runners.

Name of ApplicantGenderAge on
4-16-2012
Submitted
Qualifying Time
Robert MacdowellM373:15:32

Entries from applicants in your age group were accepted through and including the time 3:13:46.

• Health data: Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 4

Monday - September 26

Ahhh, Taper Week.  I get to Relax.  Rest day :) 

Sunday - September 25

Bike
  • 2h 07m 18s
  • 42.61 miles
  • 20.08 Mi/hr

Started EZ but felt terrible. The more I hydrated the better I felt. Was able to finish at Race Pace effort the last 45 mins.

It's so deceptively muggy out. Very humid. My sweat rate was off the charts.

Run
  • 14m 10s
  • 2.01 miles
  • 07m 03s /Mi

Transition Run. Felt good on the Run. I keep thinking of Alaina's Cuse 70.3 RR (jazz82482) she states she finally got the Run she trained for. I'm still waiting for that day. I'm yet to even run a sub 1:41 half Marathon at a 70.3 ; despite running multiple 1:30 stand-alone halfs. Perhaps Pocono will be my breakout race. Perhaps.

I hydrated all yesterday, and hydrated well on my Bike Ride and it resulted in a decent day.  Yes, it's late-September - but it's still wicked humid out for whatever reason.

Saturday - September 24

Run
  • 1h 01m 32s
  • 7.60 miles
  • 08m 06s /Mi

Aerobic. Planned to Run an EZ 10 miler. Focused on form, breathing smooth and easy; felt fine the first 5 miles, but then started hurting a little so I slowed down. Then after a few rolling hills around 6.5 I had to stop. BONK! My singlet and shorts were soaked and I thought I was going to pass out. I knew it was muggy out so I drank about 12 oz of gatorade before I left, and brought a full water bottle of gatorade with me, but it wasn't enough. I walked for about a 1/4 mile and took a short-cut back home. When I got home I weighed 172 lbs. Meanwhile just the other day I was 179. Humidity is at 73%, which I guess is high? Fuck. And the beat goes on...

I'm a little beside myself right now.  My wife threw her back out a few days ago.  The orthopedist sent her for an MRI and we found out last night her L5 S1 disc herniated, again.  She had surgey ion her L5 S1 in January of 2009.  And it looks like she is going to need surgery again, in two weeks.  She has no achilles reflex, and the pain is steady and inihibiting her quality of life.  Poor girl only ways 100 pounds, such an odd injury.  So for three weeks post-surgery I'll be Mr. Mom ...and I'm ready for it.  I've done it before.  I remember it being just as tiring as Ironman Training. :)  God-willing the surgery will be successful and she'll be healed up and close to 100% by the holidays. 

In other subjects, Boston Registration closed and it looks like the cut-off is going to come down to half the :59 second people getting in, and half not.  I BQ'd by :27 seconds so it's looking like I may MAKE IT or MISS IT by a few seconds.  Here are the numbers:  BAA posted the waves, start time and number of people per wave and the total field size for 2012 is 27,110. The last entrant# posted was 23,843 @ 4:57 ET yesterday. Last year they had 5,740 non-qualifiers. IF the amount of non-qualifiers stays the same, that puts the final cut-off at 21,370 -- so 2,473 runners, all likely to be :59 runners. Ugh. Granted, some people filled out the application wrong (put first name where last goes, etc..) and they were reissued new Submission ID's. And then perhaps there are people with credit cards that won't go through, or times from 2009, etc... optimistically say the margin of error number is 3% or 715 applications. Which brings the cut-off down to approx 1750. My "best guess" based off this is that the cut-off will be between :20 and :30 seconds...  Either way, I'll find out Monday or Tuesday if I am running Beantown in April. 

Run today. 

• Health data: Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 4 Hours slept: 11

Friday - September 23

Sport
  • Stretching
  • 1h 15m

1 full hour in the Normatec pants. 40 mins on Setting 7. And 20 mins on setting 8 with a focus on the Quads. Then Marc stretched out my legs. Damn my hammy's are tight!!

Was going to Bike this morning but it's really foggy out.  Like Sleepy Hollow foggy!  Jumping into the Normatec pants at lunch, and hopefully Marc will have a chance to give me a quick stretch.  I plan on sitting in the Normatec pants twice next week before my 70.3.  Trainer or Bike ride later today. 

• Health data: Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 4

Thursday - September 22

Swim
  • 29m 50s
  • 1700.00 meters
  • 01m 45s /100 meters

Wildwood Lake Swim w/ Derrick

My fastest time recorded at the lake, I believe. Surface of the entire lake was like glass and the water temp had to be low 60's. Really focused on a long reach. Felt good.

Run
  • 40m 12s
  • 5.01 miles
  • 08m 01s /Mi

EZ Aerobic. Ran solo at home. Legs are still tender. Took it very easy.

Sport
  • Stretching
  • 30m

yoga, foam roller, ice bath

• Health data: Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 4

Dream Chaser's Training Log

September 2011 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
     1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24