Reinvention at Forty

Monday - September 10

Run
  • 58m 05s
  • 7.79 miles
  • 07m 28s /Mi

Focus on Form and Speed
5' Dynamic Stretching WU
Aerobic w/ 6 X 50 yard strides @ 6:45 - 6:50 pace.

• Health data: Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3

Sunday - September 9

Bike
  • 2h 15m 12s
  • 46.13 miles
  • 20.47 Mi/hr

Bike with Wynn. 6 X 10'@ Threshold on 2" recovery up and down Dune Rd. Quality.

Swim
  • 29m 12s
  • 1690.00 meters
  • 01m 44s /100 meters

I listened really carefully to one of the Swim coaches at the USAT course. Implemented everything he showed us about his stroke; completely entirely changed my stroke - and BAM... lower stroke count, much less effort, and a huge PR.

Effectively, I've traded swimming with 'Power' for swimming with 'Technique'. For me, this alone was worth the cost of the clinic. I have hope I can now go close to 30 mins flat, or perhaps sub 30, at the Poconos lake swim.

Saturday - September 8

USAT Level 1 Course - WOW was that A LOT of information in a small amount of time.  I'm burnt out.  So burnt, I drove 40 mins past the New London Ferry exit and missed my 7 PM ferry!  Luckily I caught the 8 PM ferry, which is the last one, by a whopping 2 mins.  USAT course was a big eye opener for me.  It was like going to OZ and pulling back the curtain; only the Wizard(s) were impressive.  The presenters were all elite coaches who have been coaching for a long time, sharing the un-sugar coated nuts & bolts of how they train athletes using the latest science along with proven concepts and models.  Good stuff.  

What I quickly learned is that I eat and train pretty inefficiently.  Lots to tweak and change.   

Friday - September 7

USAT Level 1 Course in Providence, RI.  Had lunch with Kathy G. :)

Thursday - September 6

*Plan was to BRICK today, but I'm exhausted.  So the workout became a NAP.

Happy Birthday to me.  Big three eight.  Only twenty-four more months to the dreaded four zero.  Ditched my swim this morning with Ian.  Needed more sleep.  Wife's guinea pig bit the dust and the wife was a ball of tears, so once again I found myself digging a grave by flashlight.  Puppy is tiring me out, too.  And my kids have been fighting and driving me crazy, to boot.  All lovely bullshit excuses - sad but true.  I'm tired.  I sort of get a break as I leave tonight for Rhode Island and won't return till Saturday night.  If driving to Orient Point and then up to Providence to sit in information-packed presentations for two days, then driving back Saturday night is a 'break'?  Spending my birthday today at DMV renewing my license and getting new tires on the Camry.  Who's got it better than me? ;):)

• Health data: Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 2

Wednesday - September 5

Run
  • 42m 04s
  • 5.00 miles
  • 08m 25s /Mi

EZ Aerobic. 7:15 pace strides lastt half mile.

Yeah, so my wife's been bugging me to get a friend for our Labradoodle.  Because she's a saint and never says a peep about my training, and is actually uber-supportive of my triathlon lifestyle, I thought it only right and fair to agree to get another dog on trial basis.  His name is Roscoe.  He was rescued from a kill shelter. They said he's a labrador retriever/hound mix.  Funny thing is, I've grown up with labs and many of my friends have labs... and when we got him home and I took a really good look at him, he doesn't look like a typical lab.  His legs are really long, he's not broad, and his facial structure is different. I googled some dog breeds and did I get a shocker when I found pics that looked JUST LIKE HIM.  Guess what breed...  Great Dane.  Yeeeeah!  It is possible he's a Labradane (a new designer breed) but even still, that means he could still be 100 to 120 lbs full grown~!!  Right now he's a malnourished 50 lbs.  His waist is very skinny and his back is spiny.  I suspect he'll be up to around 60 lbs lickity-split now that he's being fed, and he's just around 6-months old.  I've never seen a dog eat like him, either.  He downs an entire bowl of food in under 10 seconds flat.  Always an adventure :)

• Health data: Fatigue: 2

Tuesday - September 4

My wife went back to teaching today.  For whatever strange reason, my kid's school district doesn't start till tomorrow.  Bringing my daughter up to meet her 1st Grade teacher - so cute how nervous she is about the whole thing.  Thunderstorms this morning, which worked out well since I can't train anyway.  Shooting for a Recovery-effort Run this evening.

• Health data: Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 2

Dream Chaser's Training Log

September 2012 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Volume

Time
Distance

Upcoming races