This is What We Do

Sunday - September 16

Bike
  • 1h 22m 18s
  • 11.78 miles
  • 8.59 Mi/hr

Manorville Hills. Loved my 29'er - it's like cheating it so much easier climbing, cornerning and rolling over stuff. But unfortunately I was covered in tics when I got home. My wife picked about 60 total, tiny deer tics off me. Freaking nightmare. Took two showers and a few hours to make sure I got them all. And I still found a sporadic one here and there throughout the day. NOT going back into the woods until after a few frosts.

My good buddy, Charlie - aka IRON-CHAZ - aka thelunchbox, kindly gave me a mid 90's GT mountain bike.  Loved that bike. Unfortunately, the beastly 11-mile loop at Manorville Hills killed my beloved blue GT gift; breaking it's neck, twice!; bolts flying off the rear triangle (took an FBI Agent to find them, thanks Derrick!); broken spokes; derailleur issues galore; you name it was going wrong....  So despite being flat broke, I rubbed two credit cards together and made this entry-level loveliness appear.  I'll be riding her at Manroville Hills this morning.  IT'S A 29'er!!  I didn't even want a 29'er as I enjoyed the nimble 26" GT, but the bike shop did not have a 26" with respectable enough components to survive anything above sidewalk riding.  Needless to say, just tooling around the neighborhood today with my son, and I'm LOVING the 29'er!  I can run over ANYTHING!  I'm also loving the geometry of the Specialized frame.  I'll call her...  Laser.  Yup, Laser.  Cause wherever I point her, she just goes and there ain't much that will stop her.  :) 

Saturday - September 15

Run #1
  • 42m 48s
  • 6.28 miles
  • 06m 49s /Mi

OA 205/4572
AG 20/330

Great race. Superb weather - mid 60's, overcast, light breeze. I executed well and maintained good form for 5.5 miles. Lost :46 seconds compared to last year; but I'm 100% fine with that cause this year I'm 20-days removed from an Ironman. I compared my splits to last year and I was actually faster on some flats and downhills (first mile downhill was a 6:05!), but lost two :20 second chunks on two of the tougher climbs - probably cause I didn't do as much hillwork lately with IMLOU being flat and all.

Psyched for my friend and running buddy Bill who shattered his previous 45:01 Cow Harbor 10k PR with a 43:13. And Big Shout Out to Mrs. Ted with a 1:01 in only her 2nd road race ever! :)

Run #2
  • 10m 37s
  • 1.15 miles
  • 09m 14s /Mi

Cool down run a mile uphill.

Got a nice stretch last night from James at True Sport Care, followed by 40 mins in the MVP Recovery Pump pants.  Legs feel pretty good for this mornings race.  Like Mr T. said in Rocky IV - today's prediction is: PAIN! 

• RACE DAY: Great Cow Harbor 10K Run

Friday - September 14

Swim
    • 28m 38s
    • 1690.00 meters
    • 01m 41s /100 meters

Wildwood Lake with Derrick. Made another slight tweak to the stroke, for the better, and shaved off a minute from the last two swims with the new stroke.

Super-ridiculously stoked that I'm flirting with 1:3X per 100m pace and it's based on technique and form; not effort. As of right now, I cannot swim with this technqiue fast enough to feel like I'm above a 6/10 RPE. If I push above that RPE, the stroke just falls apart and I start swallowing water - so looking forward to doing a lot of SKILL work in the pool this winter. This new stroke, and a few pounds dropped, could be my ticket...

Sport
    • Stretching
    • 1h 10m

45 mins in the Recovery pants. 25 min stretch/massage from James.

Thursday - September 13

CELEBRATING MY 7 YEAR RACING ANNIVERSARY

Feelingly nicely fatigued.  Goal is to engage in some short Active Recovery today.  Need to find a leotard for my daughter.  Tomorrow morning I'm swimming with Derrick.  And then Friday eve I'm getting a short stretch at True Sport Care and spending 40 mins in the Recovery Pump pants to prepare for Cow Harbor on Saturday.  Cow Harbor 10k is a nationally recognized 10k with roughly 5k participants and the 1st wave always includes olympians.  This will be my 7th consecutive time toeing the line there, and it marks my 7th Anniversary of racing as Cow was my first race ever, of any kind, back in 2006.  Sunday will be more Active Recovery, and then Monday a bunch of us are going out to Montauk Point to do one-loop of the MighytMan Bike and Run course, for my last endurance, race-specific brick workout.  Then it's time to taper. :)

• Health data: Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 2

Wednesday - September 12

Bike
    • 1h 30m 49s
    • 30.24 miles
    • 19.98 Mi/hr

Race Specific Prep

Flower Hill to Mill Rd out & back. Tried to keep it around 85% of Threshold, only I don't have a powertap (and I couldn't find my HR strap) so just did my best with RPE. Took rests at lights and on a few short sections.

If anyone as an *extra* powertap back wheel they want to sell for cheap - send me a PM.

Run
    • 20m 23s
    • 2.92 miles
    • 06m 59s /Mi

Race Specific Prep. Quick change Transition Run. Focus on Form. Deep rythmic relaxed breathing. Quick cadence.

CRAP! VET just wieghed him at 75 Pounds~~!!

Remember those stuffed animals called Pound Puppies.  Yeah, that's what I have - only Roscoe is a sixty-pound puppy. :)  What a day I had with him yesterday.  He came in from outside and me and my daughter, while eating breakfast, were overcome with the most rotten, disgusting smell.  Turns out Roscoe rolled around on a dead bird in the backyard.  Giving him a bath was an adventure.  Later he chewed an expensive area rug, and then later when I came home from running errands, he was so happy to see me he jumped up and peed all over my arm.  I love the dog cause he's just so grateful to have a home and be alive; cause the next stop for him was back to the kill shelter - but nevertheless, a sixty-pound puppy that acts ....like a puppy, is a lot of work.  :)  Today's adventure is our first visit to the vet...

• Health data: Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3

Tuesday - September 11

Swim
    • 29m 24s
    • 1690.00 meters
    • 01m 44s /100 meters

Wildwood Lake w/ Derrick. Once again, focusing on the new stroke. Lake was actually choppy with some waves.

Monday - September 10

Run
    • 58m 05s
    • 7.79 miles
    • 07m 28s /Mi

Focus on Form and Speed
    5' Dynamic Stretching WU
    Aerobic w/ 6 X 50 yard strides @ 6:45 - 6:50 pace.

• Health data: Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3

Dream Chaser's Training Log

September 2012 
    SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Volume

Time
    Distance

Upcoming races