Chipping Away At It

Sunday - September 23

Bike
  • 1h 30m 54s
  • 30.37 miles
  • 20.05 Mi/hr

Flower Hill to Mill Rd. Aerobic. 5-6/10 RPE

The winds were blowing in the opposite direction today, so despite a much easier effort, a much faster time than yesterday.

Run
  • 26m 57s
  • 4.01 miles
  • 06m 43s /Mi

Race Pace Practice. 3X Hill Repeat.

Wish I had a few more hills closer to my house, I have one .25 mile 6% grade. I made use of it though.

Freaking stoked at how good my legs felt. During and after the run my legs were all yoked and juiced up; springy and firm; kind of like Heather Locklear's body back in 1984. TJ Hooker.... great show.

Sport
  • Stretching
  • 20m

Good, long stretches, with some deep lacrosse ball self-ART, foam roller and the-stick.

Saturday - September 22

Bike
  • 1h 11m 41s
  • 23.11 miles
  • 19.34 Mi/hr

Aerobic - Mill Rd. Wicked windy.

Starting to feel myself shedding the fatigue. Still feeling some of the soreness from Cow Harbor, and some sections of the Montauk course where I really buried myself on the bike. Overall I feel like I am on target to Peak next Sunday, provided I get enough REST this week.

I added a quote to my dashboard from the Velveteen Rabbit.  Father Frank read that quote during a burial mass for my neighbor yesterday.  Terrence was only 18 years old.  Life is hard, overwhelming and ...life is messy.  Life is also fragile.  Life is pain and suffering.  But through suffering we build strength and through suffering we grow.  I train and race because I Can.  Because I am happy, joyous and free when swimming, biking or running.  I suffer in training because it builds strength and forces me to grow; which leads to more freedom and joy.  A joy for life and friends and family.  When life gets messy, as it often does, it becomes crystal clear to me why I love to train, to race, to push myself through endurance distance endeavors.  

• Health data: Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3

Friday - September 21

Run
  • 47m 39s
  • 6.07 miles
  • 07m 51s /Mi

5' Dynamic Stretching
1 Mile WU
4 mi Aerobic slowly increasing speed, lengthening stride, staying sub-threshold.
1 Mile EZ CD

There are 13 Swim Waves at Poconos 70.3 .... and I am Wave #13.  So how do we turn this into a positive?  Hmmm... I don't have to rush to get to the swim start.  I'll have a little more time to have my tummy digest breakfast.  I'll see the pro's come out of the water and based off their time be able to guesstimate if the swim is short or long.  I'll have plenty of targets to track down on the Bike and Run.  If someone passes me on the bike or run, they'll likely be in my AG so I'll have a guage on my AG standings, somewhat.  My friend Ian was one of the last waves at Quassy and it didn't effect his race.  So, yeah, lots of positives.  Actually, I think it's better than being one of the first waves to go out.  I was the 2nd wave to go out at Quassy in 2011, and it was demoralizing to constantly be passed.

Thursday - September 20

Swim
  • 34m 19s
  • 1690.00 meters
  • 02m 02s /100 meters

Wildwood Lake no wetsuit, w/ Derrick. The lake had some wicked cross currents today; guessing as a result of the storm from the other day. Had to swim sideways at times to go straight.

Forgot my wetsuit and it was 61 degrees out! Brrrr....

Wednesday - September 19

Bike
  • 1h 12m 11s
  • 22.56 miles
  • 18.75 Mi/hr

Aerobic Recovery. Sunny and cool but with Stiff headwinds.

Sport
  • Stretching
  • 50m

Dr. Dan stretched my legs and did some ART on my hips. Spent 30 mins in the MVP Recovery Pants on the highest setting - 10! I told them to put it at 11 but... nevermind,

Plan is to swim this morning, get a new dishwasher from Sears, Sport Doc appt at noon (plus jumping into the Recovery Pump pants) and perhaps there will be time left for a short Bike before the kids get off the bus.  A lot to squeeze into 6 hours.

• Health data: Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 2

Tuesday - September 18

Swim
  • 43m 30s
  • 2100.00 meters
  • 02m 04s /100 meters

500 WU -1:46 avg
100 KB EZ
500 - 1:46 avg focus on technique
100 KB EZ
3 X 100 @ 2' (speed 10/10 effort)
(1:26 1:27 1:28)
100 KB EZ
500 CD - 1:48 avg

First time back in the pool since... early May? New stroke feels awesome, like a hot knife through butter. Lots to work on with the technique though. Lots.

Stroke count is between 22 & 24 (25 meter pool) and I need to get it down to 16 to 18.

• Health data: Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 3

Monday - September 17

Bike
  • 2h 16m 28s
  • 44.05 miles
  • 19.37 Mi/hr

Drove out to Montauk with Mike (mscotthall - thanks for driving buddy) and rode the MightyMan Montauk course with Mike & Tony (strikyr). Cut out one of the out & backs on the second loop to save time. Just an unbelievably beautiful, stellar day to be out in Montauk. Not sure why I don't train out there more often. Not sure why WTC or Rev3 has not created a full Ironman event here - ocean swim, with plenty of room for a 3-loop bike and 3-loop Run.

Run
  • 1h 01m 13s
  • 6.23 miles
  • 09m 50s /Mi

Transition Run. 1-loop of the Montauk course EZ, pacing Mike and Tony.

Today's BRICK in Montauk was my last long, quality session for Poconos.  Happy it's taper time.  My quads are just not happy with me - they are wicked, walking-down-stairs-sideways sore.  

It was so damn awesome to 'ride' Montauk today.  The prior times I 'rode' out here were for the Montauk 70.3 and RJ Aaron Olympic.  But because today was a training day, I was able to smell the roses and take in the scenery.  I saw beautiful houses, cottages and cozy inns I'D NEVER SEEN BEFORE - but ridden past in races.  I saw the Montauk Airport for the first time.  I'm always so focused during races, I've literally raced past an the Montauk airport 4 TIMES and never noticed it once before.  I also noticed and slurped up many more ocean views, I'd never seen before.  Good friends, good scenery, sore banged-up legs, just a perfect day. :)

• Health data: Soreness: 1 Fatigue: 3

Dream Chaser's Training Log

September 2012 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Volume

Time
Distance

Upcoming races