• 19m 32s
  • 1.51 miles
  • 12m 56s /Mi

Easy jog to the ATM

• 40m
  • 3.12 miles
  • 12m 49s /Mi

Nice morning, leg grumbled. Foam rolling. Foam rolling.

• 51m
  • 2400.00 yards
  • 02m 08s /100 yards

Straight swim

• 25m

Bunch of misc. strength stuff -- lots of squats

• 30m
  • 8.00 miles
  • 16.00 Mi/hr

Supposed to be an hour, just too much going on this evening

Caught up with Brenda yesterday, she had a crazy Monday at the clinic where she works (computer system down, patient records unavailable = really bad day), but took Tuesday off and called me. She believes there are two things going on --- IT band and some other kinnd of tendon (the little tendon at the back of the knee, don't recall the name) irritation, which I knew, and possibly a piece of cartilage or scar tissue broke off and was preventing proper flexion of the knee. The foam rolling on Monday night may have dislodged or broken down whatever it was, which explains why I woke up on Tuesday with a near normal knee.

Anyway, pretty normal stuff that can be treated with some taping and exercises.

Our friend Patty who is doing IMLOU heads out today. Wishing her luck and that she is able to swim, given the water conditions in the river.

I do a simple website and some ad/brochure work for a small farm management company. Met the owner through mountain biking years ago and have followed the progress of his business. They have received a "15 under 15" award, from the local Chamber of Commerce (firms with less than 15 employees) and there's a reception tonight at a local bank. He invited me to join them since "every business needs a website". Pretty happy for them.

Steve and I prepped and froze a bunch of tomatoes last night. They will make good soups and stews this winter.

• 1h 02m
  • 2800.00 yards
  • 02m 13s /100 yards

Warm Up
1000 swim- easy pace- every 3rd length fast, every 4th length non-freestyle
Main Set
4 x 300 swim- medium pace (30)
4 x 50 BUILD (start slow get faster each 50) (15)
2 x 150 steady, drill last 50 (15)
Cool Down
100 easy

• 54m
  • 4.00 miles
  • 13m 30s /Mi

Not the fastest run but felt ok. Warmed up to the mid 70s, lots of people out grilling.

• 20m

Mountain Climbers
Planks -- front, side, back
Russian twists
Donkey kicks
Fire hydrants
Monster walk with band
Side hip abductor

Daughter and her BF came over last night and we went out for pizza. Had a couple of glasses of wine, enjoyed their company.

Weird on the left leg, went to bed barely able to bend it past a 90 degree angle, woke up and can bend it again. I must have moved it just right in my sleep, now there's a painless click in hip and knee joint. Stepping up the strength workouts with focus on hip and IT band. Oh, and more foam roller because that might be what is breaking up the adhesions.

Couldn't reach Brenda, my PT friend yesterday -- tried to get an appointment with her but you need a doctor's order. I hate going through that whole ritual --- get in with GP, get a referral to PT. Huge medical bill with high deductible. I know I shouldn't try to beat the system but jeez, I just hate how the insurance makes you jump through hoops. Brenda can usually just tell over the phone what the issue is and tell me what to do and if I really need to make a doc appointment or if it can just be treated aggressively with self care.

The other options are an appt with an ortho doc, which means at least a one week or two week wait (maybe longer), then a referral to PT, or go to the walk-in ortho clinic.

So while I was out to dinner, Brenda texted me saying she was sorry, the day got away from her but if I was still up to give her a call. Of course I missed this text. I'll try to reach her today.

Today is my beautiful daughter's 26th birthday. I really don't know how all these years passed so quickly. We'll probably go out for dinner tonight, depending on what she wants to do.

BeeBee is doing well on the higher insulin dose. I botched one of her shots yesterday when she squirmed at just the right moment but she seems fine.

A nice side effect of all this training is a slight weight loss. Too bad we have to work for hard!
  • 3h 48m
  • 57.00 miles
  • 15.00 Mi/hr

Rode with Mary, her hubbie Troy, and Ginger in a big loop around some small towns. Wind was really brutal from the Northeast --- hard to push into it. The skies were really overcast and temps were in the 50s, felt like Thanksgiving. Mary commented that it almost felt like it could snow, the air had that sharpness to it. Thank God it didn't snow!

Run #1
  • 1h 31m
  • 6.77 miles
  • 13m 26s /Mi

Run1 of 2
Taped up my left leg with a bunch of bright blue kineseo tape --- tried stabilizing the knee and the IT band. Definitely not a professional job but the tape did seem to give the leg some support. Still had discomfort, maybe a 3-4 on the 10 scale. Overall not a bad run although it's obviously quite slow Walked all hills to avoid stressing the leg.

Just got to get through the next five weeks without making things worse.

Run #2
  • 1h 46m
  • 8.00 miles
  • 13m 15s /Mi

Run 2 of Split Long run
Legs were super tight, especially the left leg. Miles 5-7 felt really good and was able to stretch out and actually run a bit as opposed to just shuffling along. Lots of foam rolling afterwars

Steve came down with a really nasty stomach virus yesterday and stayed home from work. All day. In the 13 years we have been together, I can count on one hand the times he has missed work due to illness. Late in the afternoon I thought I might be getting something too but it hasn't developed into anything, so I'm hopeful that it was just the power of suggestion.

With Steve being ill, his son and DIL are not staying with us. I know they stayed with Steve's ex Thursday night, not sure where they landed last night and what the plan is for tonight.

abake's Training Log

October 2015 
     1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
  • Ironman Florida (Triathlon)
    11/7/2015 Panama City Beach, Florida
  • Ironman 70.3 Chattanooga (Triathlon)
    5/22/2016 Chattanooga, Tennessee
  • October's totals