5 x 50 overkick on 1:05
2 x 125 last one fast on 2:20
4 x 75 3 strokes hard/3 strokes easy on 1:25
3 x 100 50 steady/50 fast on 2:00
4 x 50 descend last 2 on 1:00
Cool Down
200 easy pull

Tough workout today

It's going to be another busy day at work but you know I'll be slipping out to swim at lunch time.

Lunch swim really made the afternoon better. Something about getting a workout in teh middle of the work day resets my mind and puts me in a much more positive, receptive frame. Of course, I was 45 minutes late but fortunately where I work, that's not a huge issue.

Weather permitting, on Friday I have an opportunity for open water swim at Lake Springfield --- a local Ironman studette, Patty S, invited Mary and me to meet up and do a "big training day". Robin's 3 things made me realize how fortunate I am (and all of us here on BT, really) to have the opportunity to pursue the sport of triathlon.

Run
  • 1h 04m
  • 5.02 miles
  • 12m 44s /Mi

Was actually supposed to do this run on Sunday but better late than never, I say. Easy run, with second half being slightly faster than first half. Didn't feel like I executed this as well as I could have -- second half was a lot of faster, slower, faster, slower, walk, slow, slow, faster, etc. But it's done!

Bike
  • 1h 15m
  • 23.00 miles
  • 18.40 Mi/hr

HR Bike test, done as:
30 minutes gentle warmup, at end do 3 x 1 minute hard effort
30 minutes hard effort. Hit lap button on Garmin at beginning, then 10 minutes in
20 minutes cool down

Did this as an out and back on Loami Blacktop, a nice smooth and not well traveled country road. 10 mph headwind on way out. coming back was awesome. Looked down a couple of times during the 30 minute "test" and saw that my HR hit Zone 4.

Swim
  • 58m
  • 2400.00 yards
  • 02m 25s /100 yards

Workout #1: 2400 mixed speed and technique
Type: Swim
Planned Duration: 0:50
Planned Distance: 2400 yards
Description: Warm Up
500 with every 4th 25 NON free
4 x 50 DRILL (focus on form)
Main Set
2 x 100 kick with fins- 1st board/2nd no board (20)
4 x 50 FAST (30)
2 x 100 pull- 1st steady/2nd descending (30)
4 x 50 FAST (30)
2 x 100 IM (steady) (30)
4 x 50 FAST (30)
2 x 200 steady, perfect swimming (note time) (30)
Cool Down
100 easy pull or swim

Sport
  • Yoga
  • 15m

Did some sun salutations to help ease the tightness from traveling yesterday. Calves are especially tight. The cats must be having a bit of separation anxiety, all three of them remained very close and Ollie flopped down underneath while I was doing Downward Dog.

Felt great to sleep in my own bed. There were bad storms with tornadoes and damaging winds about 40 miles to the northwest of us. Hopefully there were no injuries.
Looks like training volume is going to start ramping up significantly.

Party was great, nice to see such a happy couple. We climbed into the minivan at 8 a.m. and hit the road back to Houston Airport. Again, there's just not much in that part of Texas. Seemed like a very depressed area.

Flight delayed AGAIN due to a mechanical issue with the plane. They had us all lined up to board and then announced it would be a 20 minute delay. Go set up camp and wait, wait, wait. An hour later, everyone wandered back into the terminal to find something to eat. I remained behind to guard the luggage. While I sit there, all the people waiting to get on the plane suddenly rise and rush away in teh opposite direction. What's this? They've located another plane for us and it's at a gate waaaaaaayyyyy at the opposite end of the airport. They are ready to board us!!!!

Freaking out, I text Steve and Katie both. I can't move all the luggage by myself. Steve and Katie's husband eventually show up, having heard the announcement, and off we go.

So, they do have a plane but it's not exactly ready to be boarded. Ten minutes they say. An hour later we board. Ugh, so frustrating. The kids are fighting with each other over a bottle of water. I take the baby and hold her on my lap. She falls asleep and sleeps for over an hour while I sit like a statue, trying not to wake her.

Uneventful flight-- we land in St. Louis, retrieve our luggage and part ways. More rain and thunderstorms.
Good to be home!!
Swim
  • 15m
  • 650.00 yards
  • 02m 18s /100 yards

Snuck away from the family festivities for a short swim in teh outdoor pool at the country club. Wow, what a gorgeous pool. I think it was a 25 meter pool, no one seemed to know anything about it.

Run
  • 28m
  • 2.30 miles
  • 12m 10s /Mi

Was able to get out for a short run. There was an enormous hill close to our hotel that just begged to be run. Temperature was 91 with very high humidity. Trying to understand why anyone lives in this part of the world.

After the traveling clusterf*ck on Friday, I was ready for a little R & R and snuck out for a run and then a swim. Being around a bunch of family was starting to make me claustrophic. It was hot and muggy, much worse than Illinois.

The hotel we stayed at was "just ok" --- a/c worked well but jeez, the humidity made it nearly impossible to dry my hair.

Steve's granddaughters love me (I have no idea why because I'm really not much of a little kid person), so were fighting who got to sit on my lap or hold my hand all day. Their mom was fussing and clucking over them. Trying to go anywhere with that crew was a LOT like herding cats. Good thing I got out for a run.

I will say this about East Texas -- they have some extremely large and frightening insects

Oh, and almost NO cell or internet service in this area.

abake's Training Log

July 2015 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
    1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31 

Time
Distance
  • Route 66 Half Ironman (Triathlon)
    7/26/2015 Springfield, Illinois
  • Great Buckeye Challenge Half Iron Triathlon (Triathlon)
    8/30/2015 Springfield, Ohio
  • Ironman Florida (Triathlon)
    11/7/2015 Panama City Beach, Florida
  • July's totals
  • June's totals
  • 2015 totals
  • 2014 totals