Enjoy the Journey

Friday - August 29

Run
  • 2h 17m
  • 11.35 miles
  • 12m 04s /Mi

Decent long run. rolled out of bed at 4 and REALLY REALLY wanted to just blow it off. Ate a couple of tablespoons of almond butter, a handful of raisins and an EX2 shot, loaded up the fuel belt with two bottles of OSMO and headed out into the dark. We had a big storm last night and there were puddles of water here and there. The humidity was down to comfortable levels.

Haven't done anything about my headphones so ran with just my thoughts. Was thinking how great this weekend will be with no computers, no coworkers, no family (Steve doesn't really count) and the freedom of being in control of our schedule. Then started musing about how marathon training is starting to get real. Today's run felt great. If St. Jude could somehow configure the race to start at 4:30 in the morning, I think I would be destined for a great marathon.

Thursday - August 28

We're going out of town for Labor Day, down to Montauk State Park in Missouri for some trout fishing and mtb. Which is awesome because we both really need a fun weekend. This means moving my long run to Friday morning, since I'm not good about working out on vacation. My legs are feeling tired, so opted to sleep in this morning.

Wednesday - August 27

Run
  • 1h 08m
  • 5.51 miles
  • 12m 20s /Mi

Jogged over to the "straight streets" and did 90 second +/- intervals, with some walking and jogging in between, then looped around the shopping center to add some mileage before heading home. Stars were out and the humidity felt much more manageable, but my legs were just not cooperating today. Guessing they are not recovered from the long workouts over the weekend in the excess heat.

Wore the new PureFlows today and they felt pretty good. I did notice that my sock was rubbing on one foot, which is kind of a new thing. Maybe the sock is just wearing out? It's been a long time since I've had a blister, don't want to start now

Tuesday - August 26

Bike
  • 55m
  • 8.00 miles
  • 8.73 Mi/hr

Rode the church trails with coworker Jeff and his friend Paul. Parts of the trail were a little slick from the recent rain and I wiped out on a corner and landed heavily on my side. Not hurt, just got a bit muddied up and scraped my arm. Was more cautious going through that section the next time

Monday - August 25

Run
  • 36m
  • 3.00 miles
  • 12m /Mi

Way too hot outside (heat index of 111 today), so went to the gym. Plan calls for 4 miles. Even with an overhead fan nearby, I thought the gym just felt hot and stale. Quickly overheated and had sweat just dripping from my arms and hair. It was like the biggest hot flash EVER. It's bad enough when I'm outside, being in one position was just unbearable. Cut the workout short and flounced out.

Strength
  • 10m

ITB routine from strengthrunning.com

20 lateral leg lifts with band l/r
20 clamshells with band, l/r
50 sidesteps with band,
20 pistol squats, using TRX to help balance
20 hip hikes

The oppressive heat continues today. On tap is a four mile run, which will have to be done on a treadmill at the gym since I'm so over this weather.

7 PM
OK, Mother Nature can just suck it, you know? I have the start of a heat-related migraine, ugh. Sure, we've been lucky this summer but that's small consolation when the steering wheel to the car is too hot to touch.

this morning a shelf in the walk-in collapsed. Steve blundered into it this morning, but it was all my stuff so the task of putting everything back in place fell to me. Threw everything on the bed and left it for this evening. As pissed off about the hot gym as I was, sorting through all the clothing was cathartic and there's now a nice big box of clothes ready to go to GoodWill tomorrow.

Sunday - August 24

Bike
  • 3h 23m
  • 55.00 miles
  • 16.26 Mi/hr

Group ride with bike club. Hot out there!

Saturday - August 23

Run
  • 2h 22m
  • 11.00 miles
  • 12m 54s /Mi

Well, let's just say I got my miles in. Temp at 5 am was already 76 degrees with 94 percent humidity. Loaded up the fuel belt with Osmo Hydration and some electrolyte tabs and a peanut butter gu. my bluetooth headphones, for whatever reason, decided to go on the fritz today so it was just myself with my deep thoughts for the duration.

I would run 15 minutes and then take a one minute walk break and take two sips of sports drink. This worked until about mile 6, which is approximately when the sun burned off the haze and the route I had planned was on a big open stretch of county road with no shade. Found a shady spot to stop and rest for about 5 minutes before heading back out.

At the trail head for the paved bike path, which was the last four miles, I found the cooler that the running club had set out for members and got some ice cubes for my sports drink and for good measure, tucked a few in my sports bra. At this point even the shade didn't help and I did a run 2 minute, walk 1 minute interval all the way home.

I guess I could have gone to the gym and run on the mill, but even with the slow time, it was good to get out and get it done.

Now that the long march is done with, my day will be occupied with tending to a turkey breast on the smoker, freezing bell peppers from the garden, and napping. We are meeting a couple from the bike club for dinner later. Pretty good day on tap.

abake's Training Log

August 2014 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
      1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Volume

Time
Distance

Upcoming races