So tried recalibrating the new trainer last night and will call it a fail. You have to get the trainer up to 18 mph but I wasn't even able to get past 6 mph. I kind of remember the bike shop guy really struggling with this, so maybe that's normal but holy h*ll, Cyclops, how is the average person supposed to work with this? I can't even do a 45 minute workout on the thing without feeling like my quads are going to explode. To say I'm disappointed with this trainer would be an understatement. I think I'm going to see if the LBS guys will recalibrate it for me and see if that helps.

Doc appointment after lunch today, 3 mile run on tap. I'm stressing about getting these workouts in, almost overwhelmed. It's way too early in the season to be feeling this way. I think this might be my last year for triathlon --- too much stress trying to fit it all in. I kind of came to this realization yesterday when we got home from Hannibal and all I could think was "oh jeez, now I have to go out and do a long run in the crap weather". And there was no way I was going to be able to cram a swim in there. Not to mention all that additional laundry...

Run
  • 2h 01m
  • 9.25 miles
  • 13m 04s /Mi

Had busy morning and wasn't able to get out to run until after lunch. Super windy with sustained winds of 16 mph from the SW and some strong gusts. I just kind of hated the whole running thing today.

We drove over to Hannibal yesterday afternoon and watched the grandkids while their parents went out to dinner. It was part of a Christmas present that we would give them a night out and babysit for them. Steve wanted to spend the night since it might be late before they got home, but as it turned out, they just went to a nice dinner then to a cocktail bar for a bit and were back home by 9. But we had a hotel room reserved and so spent the night.

Winter seems to have returned to this area --- bummer since there are some buds on the trees and crocuses blooming here and there. The cold weather has got me in a crankypants mood. Actually it's more the wind. The cold doesn't bother me as much as the nasty wind.

Bike
  • 1h 05m
  • 14.40 miles
  • 13.29 Mi/hr

Starting to not love the new smart trainer very well, it's almost impossible to turn the pedals. it seems like the resistance is just way too high. This workout was a disaster --- was supposed to be 15 minutes easy spinning and 4 x 8 minutes at 200 watts. Just not working right. I spent some time on the phone with Cycleops and their suggestions actually made things worse. Going to start from scratch and try recalibrating it, and if that doesn't work, will go back to the LBS and have them work on it. Grr...

Wow, the weather has turned seriously nasty this weekend. Schedule calls for a 9 mile long run, preferably in the morning with a short evening run, but the only running I'll get in today will be on a treadmill, and that kind of distance would destroy my joints. Moving that to tomorrow and hoping Mother Nature calms down.

My training buddies and I are planning a "big training weekend" in July; I found a place we can all stay at a lodge at Mark Twain Lake in Missouri --- it's got a beach for open water practice and also found a 50 mile bike route with some serious elevation changes that will emulate IMLOU pretty well.

Run #1
  • 1h 05m
  • 5.04 miles
  • 12m 53s /Mi

Felt a little better today. Ate a couple of fig newtons and took some Sportlegs caps, which seemed to make a difference

Bike
  • 1h 02m
  • 16.00 miles
  • 15.48 Mi/hr

Rode gravel bikes with Brenda and a couple of the bike shop guys.

Run #2
  • 15m
  • 1.20 miles
  • 12m 30s /Mi

Short little jog right after the bike. I need to practice this more

Run
  • 52m
  • 4.00 miles
  • 13m /Mi

Legs didn't have much oomph to them today, probably should have eaten something before I went out

Swim
  • 38m
  • 1400.00 yards
  • 02m 43s /100 yards

More drills, etc. Pool crowded

Bike
  • 45m
  • 12.00 miles
  • 16.00 Mi/hr

Zwift.

Shoulders are quite tight today, especially the right one. probably DOMs from Saturday's gravel ride.
Stopped by LBS to pick up the tri bike -- I took it in last week for a mini tuneup since the shop is running a special this month. It didn't need much since it's mostly been sitting around since 2015, but they adjusted a cable or two and made sure everything is safe. Learned that a local studette cyclist was in an accident yesterday and broke her femur. it's February in Illinois and people are already getting bike injuries????

Schedule calls for a 4 mile run on Wednesday. I halfway thought I might get that in today since things tend to come up during the week. Woke up at 4 a.m to the blissful sound of rain falling and went back to sleep. The run can wait.

abake's Training Log

February 2017 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
    1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28    

Time
Distance
  • Railsplitter Olympic Triathlon (Triathlon)
    6/17/2017 Petersburg, Illinois
  • Ironman 70.3 Steelhead (Triathlon)
    8/13/2017 Benton Harbor, Michigan
  • Ironman Louisville (Triathlon)
    10/15/2017 Louisville, Kentucky
  • February's totals
  • January's totals
  • 2017 totals
  • 2016 totals