Slept too well last night and didn't get up for planned run. Might have to wait until tonight.
Run
  • 15m
  • 1.20 miles
  • 12m 30s /Mi

Brick.
The wind had died down and now it's just hot and muggy

Bike
  • 54m
  • 14.00 miles
  • 15.56 Mi/hr

Really wanted to ride outdoors tonight. Windy and overcast looking, so resigned myself to the drainer.
EZ warmup, then 1 minute fast, 1 minute slow for five minutes
3 x 6:00, first at IM pace, 2 at half pace, 3 at sprint pace
3 minutes recovery in between

Wore some old Athleta shorts that used to be my favorite and now seem to have morphed into sandpaper. They will be resigned to the trash

It's that time of year again, when baby animals are out bumbling around in the yard. Went down in the basement to use my computer and saw something small and dark jumping up and down in the window well. Baby bunny...ugh. Last year we swore we would get one of those covers so this wouldn't happen again but here we are.

Got a net we used for trout fishing and climbed down into the well. It's quite the upper body workout to get out of there but I knew I could do it and wouldn't get stuck. The bunny was curled up behind a piece of drain pipe, terrified. Ended up just scooping it up in my hands and setting it down on solid ground. It twitched its whiskers and then took off, probably to destroy my garden. Oh well...

Swim
  • 43m
  • 1640.00 yards
  • 02m 37s /100 yards

Warm Up
200 swim with fins
100 pull
100 kick with fins
Main Set
4 x 50 kick with fins and board- kick HARD. Rest until you're ready to do the next one hard.
4 x 50 swim- DRILL. catch up, alligator eyes, zipper, six beat switch. All form. (15)
4 x 50 swim 25 easy, 25 build all the way back. (20)
2 x 100 pull- long, smooth, easy. don't fight the water. Think about the angle of your arm and how your hand is most effective with your forearm as a 'paddle' as you pull your body through the water. (20)
1 x 150 alternate 50 easy, 50 strong (30)
Cool Down
150 pull easy or backstroke or whatever feels good

Got up early before the rest of the household (Steve's daughter and her family spent the night) were up and slipped out for a swim. IM training officially started today with a swim. The Y was closed but surprisingly, LA Fitness was open for Memorial Day. When I got there, there were about 6 cars in the parking lot. There were 3 younger women finishing up in the pool; talked to one who said they were all training for the Railsplitter Triathlon next month. It was their first tri. There's such a positive energy around groups like this.

I said something about that swim typically being wetsuit legal and they got that deer in the headlights look; none of them had even considered that the water might be cold.

When I finished workout, stepped outside to another crazy storm with high winds and rain. By the time I got home, the skies had cleared. Picked up doughnuts for the grandkids (ok so the grownups enjoyed some too...).

Run
  • 1h 03m
  • 4.70 miles
  • 13m 24s /Mi

Alternated jogging and walking. Despite sunscreen yesterday, I have a nasty sunburn and it's making me nauseous. Felt good to stretch the legs.

Running this morning, then a Memorial Day cookout for Steve's family later.

Bike
  • 6h 10m
  • 93.80 miles
  • 15.21 Mi/hr

Steve and I did a huge loop from Chatham to Pleasant Plains, Tallula, Petersburg, Athens, New Salem, Salisbury and back home. Tried out an Infinit custom bike blend and drank only that --- no water, gels, etc., and felt pretty strong the entire time. We have a lovely headwind going out, then once we turned around we were into the nasty winds again. Good to be home.

Run
  • 49m
  • 3.83 miles
  • 12m 47s /Mi

Easy run. Still feel kind of meh, seems like I should be recovered from Sunday's race. It occurred to me that maybe this is due to cutting back drastically on sugar. I had been slipping into the habit of having a candy bar in the afternoon (sometimes two!) and then eating crackers and stuff like that in the evening. If that's the issue, it should resolve in a couple of days.

Swim
  • 40m
  • 1850.00 yards
  • 02m 10s /100 yards

Bike
  • 1h 08m
  • 18.00 miles
  • 15.88 Mi/hr

Wanted to do the Scheels ride, was running late so I decided to just ride up the bike trail and meet up with that group. Got about 4 miles in and saw them coming. Turned around and waited until they passed me, then jumped in. The pace was too fast for me and after a couple of miles I dropped back and rode by myself in between the A and B groups. Steve dropped back, we cut off and rode through the country. Wind was strong, beautiful night.

abake's Training Log

May 2015 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
      1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Time
Distance
  • Railsplitter Olympic Triathlon (Triathlon)
    6/20/2015 Petersburg, Illinois
  • Route 66 Half Ironman (Triathlon)
    7/26/2015 Springfield, Illinois
  • Ironman Florida (Triathlon)
    11/7/2015 Panama City Beach, Florida
  • May's totals
  • April's totals
  • 2015 totals
  • 2014 totals