• 38m 31s
  • 1725.00 yards
  • 02m 14s /100 yards

Warm Up
300 swim
300 pull
300 as 25 swim 3 free strokes, flip and do 3 back strokes- then 75 free- continuous
Main Set
500 swim steady
250 pull
100 kick
75, 50, 25 FAST (all with 10 sec rest)

This was the set I did. Used my Garmin today and it "lost" 175 yards somehow. I guess it's possible that I miscounted laps. Felt like a good swim considering I'm not in the pool much these days.

Ooops, posted Thursday's swim on Friday. I'm too lazy to redo it, so I'm leaving it.
It had been a while since I got to the pool --- the only convenient time is lunch hour and work has been too hectic. I swim at an LA Fitness that is in a shopping mall, fairly new facility and still really nice and clean. So it was gross to reach the end of the lane and see a very large dead beetle belly up on the bottom. It was probably a water bug although it didn't really look like a water bug, if that makes sense. It was more round than oval. Anyway, I tried not to look at it.

We had dinner last night with a couple that we bike ride with occasionally. They went to Hermann with us a couple of weeks ago for a fun getaway, and the lady confided in me that she had had a mammogram and they had found a mass, she would be having a scan on Monday morning. Sadly the scan confirmed cancer and she's having a double masectomy next week. I was glad that she was comfortable talking about her situation and is very optimistic.

But I couldn't help but feel as we all sat there, four people in their 50s and 60s, how fleeting life really is and how little time we really have on this earth. Spend it wisely.

Got my Stitch Fix box last night, absolutely love everything in it. The stylist did a very good job. There is a sweater, a pair of jeans, a vest, a scarf and a pair of short boots. I think I'll keep all of it. Some of the prices seem higher than I would normally spend, but I'm justifying the purchase with the fact that I hate clothes shopping and my time spent wandering stores is worth the extra cost. I might schedule another Fix in November.

Ugh, it's getting very dark early now. Not ready for winter yet!
Run #1
  • 14m 20s
  • 1.13 miles
  • 12m 41s /Mi

Little jog up to the ATM and back

• 44m 45s
  • 14.10 miles
  • 18.91 Mi/hr

Run #2
  • 11m 10s
  • 0.95 miles
  • 11m 45s /Mi

Right after bike. Ran in the rain.

• 25m

30" jacks
30" plank, front, l/r
10 squat jumps
30" plank, front, l/r
20 leg lifts
10 burpees
30" plank, front, l/r
20 leg lifts
10 burpees
10 deadlifts, 50#
10 push press, one legged, l/r
10 burpees
10 single leg D/L, l/r
10 squat with med ball
10 "hops" around the basement, using arms for momentum
10 squat with kettlebell
10 sumo squats with kettlebell
30" jacks

• 27m 41s
  • 2.00 miles
  • 13m 50s /Mi

Ugly slog around the neighborhood sweating out last night's amazing meal.

Race results from Cuban Gravel Crisis are up. Sort of. they aren't broken down into male/female, it's just a long list of names and times. If I'm correct in figuring out who the women are (and sometimes names are deceiving), it looks like I came in 4th and 52nd place overall. I'm good with that. I felt like I was one of the older women out there.

No workouts today, went to dinner with two coworkers and had a good time
Legs are pretty tired today, so no workouts. I figure yesterday's tough bike race earned me a rest day. We went to the store and picked up some gourds and another pumpkin and a couple of mums, decorated the front porch. Went over to my daughter's house and helped her move some junk out of her garage and basement and cleared her back deck of leaves and walnuts that are dropping from a neighbor's tree. It's kind of messy back there and I might go back one afternoon this week and work on that a bit more.

We also picked up a couple of filets from a local butcher and plan to grill them out. I don't eat red meat very often, but this store always has amazing cuts that taste so much fresher than the "regular" grocery store, so I'll make an exception.
  • 4h 38m 32s
  • 53.20 miles
  • 11.46 Mi/hr

Cuban Gravel Crisis

This was tough. I had a soft goal of averaging 12 mph, so was pretty close to my target. There was a strong headwind out of the southwest. Fortunately much of this course is in forested areas, and there are so many hills and valleys that the wind couldn't touch you, but in the open areas it was pretty brutal.

The new gearing worked like a charm on the big climbs and was good for pushing into the wind. Results aren't up yet, and we didn't stick around for awards since we had a 3+ hour drive home.

• RACE DAY: Cuban Gravel Crisis

abake's Training Log

October 2016 
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31     
  • El Tour De Tucson (Cycle)
    11/19/2016 Tucson, Arizona
  • October's totals
  • September's totals