Bike
  • 3h 46m
  • 68.00 miles
  • 18.05 Mi/hr

Volunteer (police) directed me the wrong way at an intersection and out into the great beyond I went. It didn't feel right and I had an uneasy feeling I was going the wrong way. Rode 5 miles and didn't see a soul. This was a small race and after the Olympic people split off, I was riding alone most of the time. Came to a four lane highway and knew that was not right --- no one working the intersection, no signs, etc.

Was 5 miles out of my way at this point. Hammered back to the intersection and the cop seemed surprised to see me and asked if I was all right. Well no, not really, my day was blown at that point. Whizzed past him, got to the town of Catawba and found a course marshall. There's an out and back section there. Told marshall I was skipping the out and back and realized that DQ'd me, but I had ridden 10 extra miles and was planning to turn in my chip. He told me to do whatever I needed to do, he would not tell anyone.

I guess the volunteers were packing up and leaving. I had planned for a 3:10ish bike split and was past 3:20 at this point. Came to another intersection and stopped. Where the hell do I go? No marshall, no course markings, none of the little A-frame signs...took a guess and rode to the right. Doesn't feel right. Looked for someone out mowing their grass, anything...no sag vehicle. Nothing. It was 93 degrees and of course people were indoors.

Turned around and headed back. Found a faded arrow that was probably a remnant of the 2014 Olympic course (this year they used colored tape to mark the turns). Followed it and made my way back to a road I recognized.

Got back to transition, racked bike and turned in my chip. Mentally I was fried from the stress of being lost in an unfamiliar area (didn't carry phone since it had been raining).

Run
  • 1h 20m
  • 6.00 miles
  • 13m 19s /Mi

After turning in my chip, the timing team said I might as well run some of the course, which I agreed with. Did half the course. It was hot and miserable but at least this turned into a good training day.

Swim
  • 37m 19s
  • 1800.00 yards
  • 02m 04s /100 yards

Good swim in a big lake along a sandy beach. Definitely short. Time included a longish climb up a hill to T1.

• RACE DAY: Great Buckeye Challenge Half Iron Triathlon
Run
  • 20m
  • 1.70 miles
  • 11m 45s /Mi

Easy jog to shake out the legs

Gave BeeBee a few spoonfuls of the new prescription kibble and was pleasantly surprised to see her scarf it down and then look around for more. So maybe this won't be the ordeal I thought it would be.

Packing and hitting the road around 10 this morning. We should get to springfield, Ohio mid afternoon and hope to check out the race venue, drive the bike course, etc. I suppose I'm ready although I never really feel ready for a race.

Sport
  • Yoga
  • 30m

Picked a video from Grokker that was focused on flexibility and balance. Should have gone with a beginning video, parts of this were beyond my capabilities. I'll try it again sometime though, it's good to be challenged

Got up early intending to do some yoga but discovered that my older kitty had puked on the couch in the basement. Ugh...it's an old couch and I keep it covered with blankets so just a matter of pulling off the blanket to wash it but still. I guess I'm lucky with my 3 kitties because barfing is a relatively rare thing with them.

Tonight will be laundry, packing up the bike and some grocery shopping.

Update - Took BeeBee to the vet's because I just had a feeling something was not right, and her blood sugar levels are above the normal range. Vet said this could just be due to stress from being at the vet's office but based on some other indications, it's probably diabetes. :( Will be switching her slowly to a prescription diet next week to see if that gets things under control.

Bike
  • 56m
  • 15.50 miles
  • 16.61 Mi/hr

Took the tri bike out to make sure everything was firing properly. Would have liked to have ridden longer but the sun was setting quickly.

Busy day ahead of me, but hoping to be able to get off work a bit early and do a last bike ride with the girls. Tomorrow is a rest day, then Friday morning we head out for Ohio.

abake's Training Log

September 2015 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
   1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30   

Time
Distance
  • Ironman Florida (Triathlon)
    11/7/2015 Panama City Beach, Florida