• 36m
  • 2.75 miles
  • 13m 05s /Mi

Jog 7/walk 2

Bike
  • 4h 23m
  • 57.00 miles
  • 13.00 Mi/hr

Took the new bike out. I should have skipped the run and gone earlier, as it was very hot. Not a lot of shade on our roads. Toward the end of the ride I could tell the heat was getting to be an issue, so made stops when I found shade and took off my helmet and camelback.

Wow, nearly a whole week of no workouts (not counting short strength/yoga sessions). The break has been nice but enough is enough!

We went to a newish restaurant right here in Chatham last night --- its original purpose was to be a tapas bar, apparently they learned that they would have to offer something more substantial if they were going to survive. I had a chicken roulade, which looked sort of like a sushi roll. Steve had the filet, which was pretty diminutive. The food was very good but not filling, and we hit the Hardees drive through on the way home and got some french fries.

Picked up the new gravel bike last night. It's a beautiful shade of what I would call frosted plum, with some little mint colored accents. Depending on the light, it looks either brown or deeper purple. I upgraded or swapped out a lot of stuff from the stock model. Will get a pic or two and post up later.
Woke up with a very stiff lower back, not really sure what the deal is. It seems to be working its way back to normal the more I move. Let's hope that trend continues.

The new bike should be done and ready for pickup tonight. The shop owner called last night and sounded stressed, he had thought it would be ready on Wednesday. Told him to just take his time.

Sport
  • Yoga
  • 20m

Strength
  • 20m

Squats: 30 reps
Plank: 60-second hold
Crunches: 25 reps
Jumping jacks: 55
Lunges: 15
Wall-sits: 60-second hold
Sit-ups: 55 reps
Butt-kicks: 35 reps
Hip Bridges: 30
Push-ups: 10 reps

Bike
  • 2h 34m
  • 35.00 miles
  • 13.64 Mi/hr

Had planned to have the day off but we're busy so, compromised and decided to go in during the afternoon. Since I was out of town, I had missed my long ride, so did that today. Very nice day. Kind of windy out of the south.

Played race sherpa at IM Steelhead 70.3 for Ginger and Patty this weekend. Laura (StartingtoTri) joined us and we co-sherpa'ed. I had rented a house in St. Joseph, about ten miles from the race venue, and it was just about perfect.

On Saturday we went to packet pickup. I was originally signed up for this race and then backed out and it was too late for any kind of refund. Went ahead and got my packet and just told the chip lady I wasn't racing. There were some good nutrition samples and wearing the bracelet let me enter and exit the transition area, which proved helpful at times.

Spent race day tracking the athletes and hanging out on the beach with Laura. The ladies did well -- Ginger had a flat tire but still managed an amazing bike split and Patty got 4th in W60-65. She did receive an award and wanted to see if she could get a slot for South Africa during the rolldown.

This was the first time I had ever stuck around long enough to watch the rolldown process. It seemed sort of inefficient but I don't really understand how it works. It took probably 45 minutes from start to finish and in the end, Patty didn't get a slot.

Ginger and I left St. Joseph around 5 PM Michigan time. The trip should have taken about 4 hours (there's a time change) and initially it seemed we would make it home by 9, but GPS gave us some misinformation about exiting I-94/80 in Chicago and we were stuck in a construction zone for over an hour. Finally I just said screw GPS and inched our way over to the right lane and took the first south exit we came to. It was close to 11 before we got home but it felt great to sleep in my own bed.

abake's Training Log

August 2017 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
   1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31  

Time
Distance
  • August's totals
  • July's totals