Well, if I didn't know that the Midwest was under a "heat dome" by watching the news, it's obvious from the heat migraine I've been enjoying all day. Grrr...let's just skip the rest of the summer and go straight to fall.

The A/C in our department seems to be struggling. I thought I was dealing with some minor hot flashes, but my boss came out of his office and said it felt way hotter than it should have compared to the rest of the building. Seems like this has happened before, we are in an older part of the building with high ceilings and skylights and it's a bit like sitting in an incubator some days.

My workout plans for today went something like this:

Mountain bike brick after work
Just mountain biking, too hot to run
Indoor trainer ride, too hot to be outside
Too wiped out from heat and headache, going to take rest day

:)
Run
  • 12m 19s
  • 1.04 miles
  • 11m 50s /Mi

Overslept and didn't really have enough time for my planned 3 miler, but figured a little bit is better than nothing. I've been slacking on running for no particular reason, so it felt good to stretch the legs. Very humid and warm morning.

Swim
  • 33m
  • 1200.00 yards
  • 02m 45s /100 yards

Week three of Slowtwitch Swim Challenge:

Warmup
150/100/50 w/15 seconds rest
25 kick
25 dolphin kick (use kickboard)
50 semi-catch drill
50 one arm
25 kick /25 dolphin kick (these were supposed to be done on back, but since I had to share a lane, that seemed unrealistic)

Main Set
4 x 100, 10 sec rest
6 x 50 on the 1:20

Had to cut it short since this is lunch hour but felt like a good set. The 50s really felt good

Strength

Strength class for runners
3 sets each
15 bench press, 50#
15 one legged squat on a box, with side raise
15 tricep pulldown
15 row on fitness ball
15 chest flies on fitness ball, 10 lb weights
20 knee tucks on fitness ball
8 front/8 back - lunge with foot on small bosu-like ball, then back lunges
21s with 10 lb weights
15 birddog planks
15 each side, side crunch

I will be feeling this one tomorrow

Strength
  • 20m

Mix of strength and ply, good workout

The run didn't happen --- overwhelmingly too hot for much outdoor activities.

Bike
  • 45m
  • 7.00 miles
  • 9.33 Mi/hr

Left my sister's and went to New Salem to ride the mtb trails. Since I was alone, I planned to be very cautious. In the parking lot, a man in his late 30s and his son, who I would guess to be about 10 or 11, were getting ready to head out. We chit chatted a while and I asked if I could ride along behind, which was fine with them. The dad took off like a bat out of hell, leaving his son behind. I brought up the rear. Fun ride although I don't think dropping your kid is very good parenting.

At about the 2 mile mark the dad had stopped and was waiting. they took a break and I rode on ahead and had a blast bombing down the trail that does down, down, down to the Sangamon River. It's tight and twisty with a lot of swoops, and some of the low areas had water running through. At the bottom of this trail you can either go left up a steep, unridable hill, or cross the blacktop. I pushed my bike up the hill and rode the loop again, and on the second loop, crossed the blacktop and rode the paved road up the steep hill to the visitor's center at New Salem State Park.

The guy and his son were on the road and they were pushing their bikes up the big hill. I rode past them and then waited at the top to see if they were going to ride down the singletrack, but they were done for the day.

Had a good time cruising to the bottom of the hill.

Sport
  • Equestrian
  • 1h 00m

Drove out to my sister's place and rode Pete-the-Rescue-Horse. We went out of the riding ring and rode around Mary's property, which is about 150 acres of open meadow with some forest. It was a really gorgeous day. Pete was fun to ride --- just spirited enough to make things interesting.

So...not feeling entirely healthy today. It'll take a while to work all the sugar and yeast and dough out of my system.

Going out to my sister's this morning to horseback ride, and loading up the mtb. If time permits, I'll take it over to the New Salem trails for a bike/run brick after riding.

Pool is closed for some competition today, so that's not going to happen.

I am digging our weather -- it's July hot but the humidity is very low.

Bike
  • 2h 00m
  • 34.00 miles
  • 17.00 Mi/hr

Well, I didn't quite bring it today. Was able to eat ten donuts, which was still close to last year's. Came in first in womens 50+ division so I'm happy with that.

Tour de Donut is today. I don't feel like I could top or necessarily even match my quota from last year, which was 12 donuts, but I'll see how I feel when I get there

Bike
  • 1h 25m
  • 10.12 miles
  • 7.14 Mi/hr

Brenda and I rode to Bloomington and met up with Hope from the local mtb club. she showed us trails 1, 2 and 3 in the Comlara trail system. Then my buddy Mary showed up, along with Kim, who is another Bloomington local. Kim showed us trails 4, 5 and 6.

Such a beautiful trail system. We don't have anything like this in Springfield, which is really sad.

After riding 7 miles, we drove over to where tomorrow's triathlon is. Mary is racing and there was supposed to be a swim clinic. The guy giving the clinic was stuck in traffic somewhere, so Brenda and I went back and rode trails 4, 5 and 6 again. We had a freaking blast.

Taking off work at noon and meeting Brenda to drive up to Bloomington. There's an ows clinic at Evergreen Lake conducted by Bryan Rhodes. I am embarrassed that I didn't know who he is, but guess he's a very good IM who loves to come back every year to race at the Evergreen Tri.

There is coincidentally a very good mtb system at Comlara Park, where the tri is held, so we are going to get some riding in. Can't wait.

Run
  • 40m 53s
  • 3.36 miles
  • 12m 10s /Mi

Felt faster than that but overall a good run. Temps were in the 60s. Ran the hilly route from earlier this week and didn't bail on the last hill.

My cycling miles for 2013 are 999.76.

abake's Training Log

July 2013 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31   

Time
Distance
  • St. Judes Memphis Marathon (Run)
    12/6/2014 Memphis, Tennessee
  • Pigman Long Course Triathlon (Triathlon)
    8/16/2015 Palo, Iowa
  • November's totals
  • October's totals
  • 2014 totals
  • 2013 totals