Run
  • 38m 33s
  • 3.10 miles
  • 12m 26s /Mi

Really, REALLY wanted to sleep in today. Temp at 5 am is already 73 and humidity feels very high. Probably not going to get any cooler! The up side of the temperature spike is that a lot of other people are out running early.

Strength
  • 07m

Day 10 of Ab Challenge!
25 crunches
25 bicycles
25 hip lift
25 scissor kick
25 leg lifts
planks

Caterpillar Update
I think our little baby has crept off somewhere to change into a butterfly. s/he was not out there yesterday. Supposedly they leave their "host plant" and make a loooooooonnnnnng journey of about 20 feet to a secluded section and set up camp. Assuming this is where the baby is and s/he did not get gobbled up by something, I think we can expect to see a Monarch in our yard soon.

Strength
  • 37m

Day 9 of Ab Challenge (forgot to log yesterday) (this was in the morning)
25 crunches
25 bicycles
25 hip lifts
25 leg lifts
25 scissors
1 minute plank

6 PM - Workout from Runners World
1 minute each of the following
Jump rope
one legged squat
plank
walking lunges
push ups
jump rope
tricep dips
step ups
plie squat with overhead press, 20 lbs
bicycle crunches
jump rope
one legged deadlift
side plank
mountain climbers
squat jumps
V-sit

So Steve and I are headed out of town this weekend to Bennett Springs, Missouri for an outdoor recreation weekend. 30 years ago I went there with some friends and did some trout fishing --- it's a hatchery location and they release rainbow trout every day into the spring-fed creek. It's not Montana fly fishing by a long stretch, but that's ok. Neither of us has been fishing in years.

In preparation for this odyssey, I went to Gander Mountain tonight and found a nice salesman who was really helpful and actually talked me out of expensive gear. Not good for the store but good for my budget. I walked out with a cute Zebco spinner rod/reel and some miscellaneous stuff.

It's stinking 92 degrees, so probably no outdoor running for several days. Supposed to peak at 97 on Wednesday. Can you say sucks!!!???

Bike
  • 1h 12m
  • 11.00 miles
  • 9.17 Mi/hr

We were headed out for a ball game in St. Louis today but I had enough time for a short mtb ride. Rode over to the singletrack in the forest preserve. I had the place to myself, which was very cool. Felt like the best ride i've ever had on those trails. Stayed loose and relaxed. I was able to ride some of the very technical rooty climbs that have eluded me.

There's something almost magical about old growth forest, especially in the early morning hours. Saw a couple of deer loping away from me. I try to be as quiet as possible since really, I'm in their world.

We had a good time at the Cardinals game even though they got beat. We had box seats, so there was a/c and food. I had a hotdog and it was very tasty. Steve's granddaughter hung out with me a lot (she is 2). We had a really good time.

I'm really gravitating toward the off road biking these days. There was a bike club ride this morning that Steve participated in, while I chose the mtb. I think part of it is that I love being out in the woods, seeing wildlife, etc. Then there's the non-competitive aspect of it. And no morons in cars endangering the lives of cyclists. If i get hurt mountain biking, there's really no one to blame but myself.

Run
  • 1h 46m
  • 8.80 miles
  • 12m 03s /Mi

Nice long run with Karen

Strength
  • 06m

Day 7 Abe Challenge
25 crunches
25 bicycles
25 hip lifts
25 scissor kicks
planks

Sport
  • Equestrian
  • 1h 00m

Horseback riding lesson - rode Pete the Paint. We are getting along pretty well

Strength

Day 6 of Ab Challenge
25 crunches
25 bicycles
25 hip lift
25 scissor kick
1 minute plank

Also threw in some leg lifts just because I was down on the ground

Went to Xocis last night after bike riding. Kept the margarita consumption to a minimum. Have been doing this routine with this bunch of friends for about four years. It felt a little stale, like everyone was all talked out.

And now for the daily caterpillar...growing and growing and sporting a water droplet from last night's rain!

Bike
  • 26m
  • 3.50 miles
  • 8.08 Mi/hr

Short little cruise around the singletrack trail on the CX bike. It was the first time I've had Gobbie out since last year, almost feels like new brakes are in order. Or maybe I'm just used to the responsive disc brakes on the mtb? Anyway...fun! I love how this bike handles.

Strength
  • 30m

Plyo + Strength and Day 5 of Ab Challenge

1 minute jumping jacks
10 pushups
20 squat jumps
4 pullups
20 split squats
1 minute plank
30 second side planks
30 seconds one-legged jumps
50 bench squat
10 box jumps, 18" box
10 pushups
1 minute jump rope
10 pullups
1minute jumping jacks
1 minute plank
30 second mountain climbers
20 wall squats on FB, hold for 10 seconds at end
1 minute jump rope
25 crunches
30 seconds mountain climbers
25 bicycles
30 seconds jumping jacks
25 leg raise
30 seconds jump rope
25 scissor kicks
25 hip lifts
30 seconds mountain climbers

Weather is going to start creeping back into the 90s. I guess it was too good to last. I think I'll take the CX bike to work and ride a bit after work. Xocimilco tonight too.

Here's our Monarch baby today. I think s/he grew quite a bit yesterday.

Run #1
  • 26m 13s
  • 2.16 miles
  • 12m 08s /Mi

Easy jog up through Chatham and back. Legs felt kind of dead.

Run #2
  • 33m
  • 2.80 miles
  • 11m 47s /Mi

Met Karen at Washington Park, jogged over to the "boulevard" and ran 6 quarter mile repeats, walking to recover in between. Good workout, hot.

Strength
  • 08m

Day 4 of Ab Challenge
25 crunches
25 bicycle
25 leg raise
25 scissor kicks
25 hip lift
planks

Threw in some one-legged hip lifts and side planks

We had a beautiful blue moon last night and I enjoyed running in its light this morning. What I did not enjoy was the haze of pollen. It's pretty thick. Temp was 68 at 5 a.m. so its going to be a scorcher today.

I replanted a bunch of flowers along the back deck in an area that bakes in the sun. Last year we lost just about everything back there due to the hellishly hot summer. I was a little smarter this year and planted drought and heat tolerant perennials -- lavender, a variety of coneflower, butterfly bush, butterfly weed and bee balm. So we are getting a ton of bees and butterflies, which does my heart good to see. We also have a lot of hummingbirds this year, more than ever.

Noticed last night that there is a small caterpillar on the butterfly weed that is striped black, white and yellow. I am pretty confident it's a Monarch baby. Will leave it there.

abake's Training Log

August 2013 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
     1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Time
Distance
  • Pigman Long Course Triathlon (Triathlon)
    8/16/2015 Palo, Iowa
  • December's totals
  • November's totals
  • 2014 totals
  • 2013 totals