Enjoy the Journey

Sunday - September 1

Bike
  • 52m
  • 6.10 miles
  • 7.04 Mi/hr

We left Bennett Spring and headed east toward St. James, Missouri. It was on the way to Hermann, Missouri, and I had found a mountain bike trail in this tiny town that looked quite promising. We were not disappointed. Parts of it are classed as beginner level but even those sections were gorgeous --- the trail winds through a forest of very tall, old pine trees. The air smelled fresh and "pine-tastic".

About two miles into the trail the terrain changed and the forest was interspersed with open sections that were big stretches of shale rock. There was bright green lichen growing on the rocks. Then back into the woods but instead of smooth singletrack, we rode through one rock garden after another. I had to walk through a couple of sections but overall felt like I rode these technical areas fairly well.

The last stretch of the trail was a net uphill on lots of loose rock, and there were several parts we had to walk. Which sucked because the minute you stopped moving, the black gnats would attack and bite.

This was an amazing trail. I love finding these gems and wish we didn't have to drive so far to enjoy them.

Sport
  • Fishing
  • 1h 30m

BAck to Bennett Spring for day two of trout fishing. The fish were biting like crazy today. I would barely toss my line in and would catch one, and they were bigger trout today. More like a pound each. Had a blast catching and releasing the little ones.

Just as we were finishing up a very strong thunderstorm came rolling through the area. I am guessing that is why the fishing was so good.

Saturday - August 31

Sport #1
  • Fishing
  • 3h 00m

Wow, fishing is listed as a sport. We went to Bennett Spring State Park for some stream trout fishing. I had been there 30 years ago and kept wanting to return. Nothing has changed, it's a gorgeous Missouri State Park and is exactly as I remembered it.

Steve and I caught our limit of rainbows, cleaned them and packed them on ice.

Sport #2
  • Kayaking
  • 2h 00m

Guessing on the time. We went with one of the canoe outfitters but chose to kayak. Glad we did. The route was 7 miles on the Niangua River. I think we were the oldest people on the river and were also definitely in the minority since we were not drinking alcohol. Saw a lot of bad behavior, but also enjoyed the river very much. The day was hot (90s) but the cold water kept things very pleasant.

Friday - August 30

My good friend Insomnia showed up around 1:30 a.m. and hung around until 3:45 or so. Fought it for a while, then turned on TV and watched an episode of That 70s Show I had not seen. Woke up too late to run. Maybe that was a blessing in disguise, feels like I tweaked (not twerked) my right knee just a bit and it complained while going down the basement stairs. I'm blaming the 10 Pound Slimdown DVD, there is some lateral plyo work.

But it's all good -- we leave for our Missouri fish/kayak/bike getaway this afternoon. The weather forecast is horrendous --- temps in the 90s with heat index well over 100. I think standing in the icy spring water fishing and then kayaking on a nearby cold river will be the best part. We'll take the mtb but may end up not riding much.

Thursday - August 29

Strength
  • 40m

DAy 12 of Ab Challenge
25 crunches
25 bicycles
25 scissor kicks
25 scissor kicks
25 hip lifts
25 leg raise
planks

Then 10 Pound Slimdown DVD - Chris Freytag is the Instructor
Did the Total Body Workout using 10 lb weights

Slept in this morning without a trace of guilt.

8 PM
Update on BeeBee
So BeeBee got to go see her favorite vet, Dr. Sandy. After shaving the area around the bite, Dr. Sandy said she believed it was very likely some kind of spider bite. BeeBee was not showing any kind of distress, i.e. vomiting, fever, etc. so non venomous spider but the red area is about an inch in diameter. Dr. Sandy applied a soothing balm and gave BeeBee the "big daddy antibiotic" shot to ward off any kind of infection.

Wednesday - August 28

Run
  • 44m 56s
  • 3.56 miles
  • 12m 37s /Mi

Felt like I was running faster than this but I'll take it. Hot and humid but there was a really nice breeze coming out of the southwest. Legs felt pretty good today.

Strength
  • 10m

Day 11 of Ab Challenge
25 crunches
25 bicycles
25 leg raise
25 scissor kicks
planks

25 side leg raises
25 clamshells

So is anyone else starting to worry about the situation with Syria? I don't really claim to understand exactly what is going on, but it sounds like we are headed to another war.

My older girl kitty, BeeBee, has some kind of bite on her back leg, kind of toward the back of her thigh. I noticed that she had a bald spot and then saw a small red dot in the center of a very large puffy area. It's not oozing anything but is very tender. She did let me put a warm compress on it and massage the area a bit, and seemed to like that. Steve thinks it's a spider bite. If it's still puffy tomorrow I will take her in. With BeeBee's compromised immune system (she is the one who nearly died from liver failure in 2012), I don't like to take any chances.

Tuesday - August 27

Run
  • 38m 33s
  • 3.10 miles
  • 12m 26s /Mi

Really, REALLY wanted to sleep in today. Temp at 5 am is already 73 and humidity feels very high. Probably not going to get any cooler! The up side of the temperature spike is that a lot of other people are out running early.

Strength
  • 07m

Day 10 of Ab Challenge!
25 crunches
25 bicycles
25 hip lift
25 scissor kick
25 leg lifts
planks

Caterpillar Update
I think our little baby has crept off somewhere to change into a butterfly. s/he was not out there yesterday. Supposedly they leave their "host plant" and make a loooooooonnnnnng journey of about 20 feet to a secluded section and set up camp. Assuming this is where the baby is and s/he did not get gobbled up by something, I think we can expect to see a Monarch in our yard soon.

Monday - August 26

Strength
  • 37m

Day 9 of Ab Challenge (forgot to log yesterday) (this was in the morning)
25 crunches
25 bicycles
25 hip lifts
25 leg lifts
25 scissors
1 minute plank

6 PM - Workout from Runners World
1 minute each of the following
Jump rope
one legged squat
plank
walking lunges
push ups
jump rope
tricep dips
step ups
plie squat with overhead press, 20 lbs
bicycle crunches
jump rope
one legged deadlift
side plank
mountain climbers
squat jumps
V-sit

So Steve and I are headed out of town this weekend to Bennett Springs, Missouri for an outdoor recreation weekend. 30 years ago I went there with some friends and did some trout fishing --- it's a hatchery location and they release rainbow trout every day into the spring-fed creek. It's not Montana fly fishing by a long stretch, but that's ok. Neither of us has been fishing in years.

In preparation for this odyssey, I went to Gander Mountain tonight and found a nice salesman who was really helpful and actually talked me out of expensive gear. Not good for the store but good for my budget. I walked out with a cute Zebco spinner rod/reel and some miscellaneous stuff.

It's stinking 92 degrees, so probably no outdoor running for several days. Supposed to peak at 97 on Wednesday. Can you say sucks!!!???

abake's Training Log

September 2013 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30     

Volume

Time
Distance

Upcoming races