Enjoy the Journey

Sunday - September 22

Bike
  • 45m
  • 8.00 miles
  • 10.67 Mi/hr

Holy h*ll that was hard. I have been practicing the mount/remount at the obstacle thing, but what I needed to be working on for this race was long grinding climbs up grassy hills. ouch ouch ouch. But I finished vertically and had fun, met some great people. Weather was gorgeous too.

Driving down to Alton, IL today for the first cyclocross race of the season. It may be the last depending on how things go...

Saturday - September 21

Run
  • 1h 46m
  • 8.70 miles
  • 12m 11s /Mi

The ab work I've been doing is beginning to help with running - my back didn't get sore today and could feel core working.
Brisk morning, temps in the 50s made for great running conditions. Ran through a couple of subdivisions I don't get over to and the change of scenery was great.
The full moon must be messing with the wildlife -- there's a big cornfield at the end of our street and the local coyote pack was in there just yodeling away. Sound carries but it did seem like they were very close to the street. I love hearing them but at a respectful distance.
And then there was a brief standoff with a scary dog --- no one lets their dog run loose around here unless it's an accident. So it was kind of funny to see a dog sitting in the middle of a quiet subdivision road, obviously enjoying some sunshiny freedom. Got closer and the dog suddenly got very protective of her yard --- to the point where she crossed the road and was showing her teeth, hair standing up on back, walking very stiff legged. She was a smallish dog, maybe 45 pounds, brindle with some white, and she had one blue eye --- so I am guessing maybe a boxer or pit/Aussie or husky mix? There was a truck parked on the street and I got it between us and walked slowly backwards. Damn thing stayed with me all the way to the end of the street.
And no owner in sight. From all the noise the dog was making I kept expecting someone to come out of the house. Grr...stupid owners

Sport
  • Equestrian
  • 1h 00m

Went out to my sister's and rode Pete. He was kind of grouchy today, did not like the bit that my sister had on him. Next time we will switch back to the snaffle bit, he is happier with that one.

Friday - September 20

Strength
  • 30m

Core Day!
10 Pound Slimdown DVD

Then Judi's 100 Workout (no run at the end though)
100 jacks
90 crunches
80 squats
70 leg lifts
60 jacks
50 crunches
40 squats
30 leg lifts
20 jacks

Raining, so any thoughts of getting up to run were quickly dispelled.

7 PM
Strength workout felt pretty good today. My nutrition has been crap lately, had a bunch of vinegar chips today. It's not even stress eating, work hasn't been all that crazy. I guess I'm just being lazy about not giving in to the crunchy carb fix. I'm eating a nice pear now.

Thursday - September 19

Run #1
  • 39m
  • 3.20 miles
  • 12m 11s /Mi

Garmin was dead this morning, I think it's time to send it off for a new battery as it's not holding a charge very well. So the distance is hit or miss.

Run #2
  • 26m 01s
  • 2.08 miles
  • 12m 30s /Mi

Lewis Memorial Trail Moonlight Run
2 mile fun run to raise awareness (and money) for the mtb trail. It's on some land next to a church, so some of the members of that congregation volunteered and offered their restrooms so we didn't have to use a portapotty in the dark.
I had a high lumen bike light that I carried. Good, because in the dark forest you couldn't see your hand in front of your face. Had a really good run considering the humidity. Ran behind two girls (well, they were in their 20s) who had just a small flashlight. My light gave enough light for everyone. At one point I passed them and ran on ahead. Could hear them fumbling through the dark so just stopped and waited so they could have benefit of the light again.
Really fun event. Mary and Brenda also ran.

Felt like I was getting sick last night --- either getting a cold or it's a reaction to the flu shot I had last week. Took some Nyquil and passed out at 9:00. Figured I would oversleep and have a Nyquil hangover but I actually woke up feeling pretty refreshed. Go figure...

There's a night run on the local mtb trail to raise money for maintaining the trail. It's only about a mile, I'll probably run.

Work is going to be an evil b*tch today, have three deadlines and the PM I am working with has been out of town. Ugh...looking forward to retirement

Wednesday - September 18

Strength
  • 07m

Abs

The bed fought and won this morning.

Tuesday - September 17

Run
  • 47m 29s
  • 3.86 miles
  • 12m 18s /Mi

Supposed to be 4 miles this morning. Tried a new route and came up short when I got back to the house. Too tired to run the last .14 of a mile, how sad is that?

Kind of hoped to get a bike ride in tonight, but I knew I had a couple of stops on the way home --- pet store for kitty food, Kohls and then the grocery store. If I had any hopes of riding after that, the early sunset and a light rain squashed those plans. Made a pot of chili and cooked a couple of brats from our trip to Hermann, MO.

Monday - September 16

Run
  • 46m 35s
  • 4.00 miles
  • 11m 38s /Mi

Met Karen at Washington Park and ran two laps. Temps in the 70s with a light breeze made for perfect conditions. We took walk breaks roughly every mile, timed with the two drinking fountains in the park.

Strength
  • 20m

Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred, Level 2
Haven't done this workout in a very long time, forgot how much I like it

abake's Training Log

September 2013 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30     

Volume

Time
Distance

Upcoming races

• Battlegrounds Adventure Race (Adventure)
    5/3/2014 Wright City, Missouri
  • XTERRA EX2 Off-Road Triathlon and Duathlon (Triathlon)
    7/13/2014 Flintstone, Maryland

Totals

• April's totals
  • March's totals
  • 2014 totals
  • 2013 totals