Bike
  • 58m
  • 15.00 miles
  • 15.52 Mi/hr

Easy road ride with Steve after work. Lots of the back roads have been recently rocked, making for some slow going. It's a gorgeous evening, feels like fall.

Strength
  • 10m

25 crunches
25 bicycles
25 scissor kicks
25 hip lifts
25 leg raise, l/r
25 clamshell l/r
1 minute plank
25 squats
25 plie squats

Back to work, reality today. Back to better nutrition. Need to clean the mtb tonight and finish doing laundry, and work a short run in there somewhere.

My friend Mary was messaging me on FB last night wanting to pick a HIM for 2014. I trained for a HIM this year but ended up not racing but don't feel any pressing urge to commit to a race. I'm thinking I may stick to Xterra events from hereonout.

Bike
  • 3h 00m
  • 30.00 miles
  • 10.00 Mi/hr

We stayed in Hermann, Missouri, in the heart of vineyard country. The Katy Trail is 2 miles from where we stayed, so we rode the mountain bikes across the Missouri River and picked up the trail at McKittery, a tiny town. The Katy Trail is crushed limestone, so the best bike setup has slightly wider tires than a standard road bike. You see a lot of hybrid and touring bikes on this trail. We only had our mtbs with the big knobby, so less than ideal, but it worked just fine.

The trail actually gets a little repetitive --- it's just mile after mile of converted railroad bed paralleling the Missouri River. Now and then there are farms but mostly it's just in State-owned forest land. We were ready to be done but it was a good workout.

Home from vacation after three amazing days. Steve and I remarked that we felt like kids again --- fishing, kayaking, biking. Best part there was no schedule and we just winged the entire weekend. We had some amazing meals --- in Lebanon, Missouri, we ate at a steakhouse where they make their own moonshine. The bartender let us sample some. I think you could get really messed up on that stuff. For lunch, we found a tiny BBQ place that served a wonderful pulled pork sandwich.

In Hermann, Missouri, we ate at a very old winery in a converted carriage house. We stayed in a "quaint" hotel that was a converted mortuary/furniture store. The first floor is a sort of flea market and the top two floors are the rooms. i wasn't too sure about the place but it had amazing reviews on Trip Advisor. The room was beautiful but I had trouble getting past the mortuary thing. Every time we rode the elevator I would wonder if they used to wheel bodies onto the same elevator. Which was irrational because the place was built in the 1800s and they didn't have elevators per se. But still...

We brought home a cooler of rainbow trout and enjoyed some of that tonight on the grill. There really is nothing like fresh seafood. We also brought home some bratwurst that was made in Hermann, Missouri, and will grill that up one of these cool evenings.

So it's back to work tomorrow, sadly. Now to catch up on BT and inspires!!!

Bike
  • 52m
  • 6.10 miles
  • 7.04 Mi/hr

We left Bennett Spring and headed east toward St. James, Missouri. It was on the way to Hermann, Missouri, and I had found a mountain bike trail in this tiny town that looked quite promising. We were not disappointed. Parts of it are classed as beginner level but even those sections were gorgeous --- the trail winds through a forest of very tall, old pine trees. The air smelled fresh and "pine-tastic".

About two miles into the trail the terrain changed and the forest was interspersed with open sections that were big stretches of shale rock. There was bright green lichen growing on the rocks. Then back into the woods but instead of smooth singletrack, we rode through one rock garden after another. I had to walk through a couple of sections but overall felt like I rode these technical areas fairly well.

The last stretch of the trail was a net uphill on lots of loose rock, and there were several parts we had to walk. Which sucked because the minute you stopped moving, the black gnats would attack and bite.

This was an amazing trail. I love finding these gems and wish we didn't have to drive so far to enjoy them.

Sport
  • Fishing
  • 1h 30m

BAck to Bennett Spring for day two of trout fishing. The fish were biting like crazy today. I would barely toss my line in and would catch one, and they were bigger trout today. More like a pound each. Had a blast catching and releasing the little ones.

Just as we were finishing up a very strong thunderstorm came rolling through the area. I am guessing that is why the fishing was so good.

Sport #1
  • Fishing
  • 3h 00m

Wow, fishing is listed as a sport. We went to Bennett Spring State Park for some stream trout fishing. I had been there 30 years ago and kept wanting to return. Nothing has changed, it's a gorgeous Missouri State Park and is exactly as I remembered it.

Steve and I caught our limit of rainbows, cleaned them and packed them on ice.

Sport #2
  • Kayaking
  • 2h 00m

Guessing on the time. We went with one of the canoe outfitters but chose to kayak. Glad we did. The route was 7 miles on the Niangua River. I think we were the oldest people on the river and were also definitely in the minority since we were not drinking alcohol. Saw a lot of bad behavior, but also enjoyed the river very much. The day was hot (90s) but the cold water kept things very pleasant.

My good friend Insomnia showed up around 1:30 a.m. and hung around until 3:45 or so. Fought it for a while, then turned on TV and watched an episode of That 70s Show I had not seen. Woke up too late to run. Maybe that was a blessing in disguise, feels like I tweaked (not twerked) my right knee just a bit and it complained while going down the basement stairs. I'm blaming the 10 Pound Slimdown DVD, there is some lateral plyo work.

But it's all good -- we leave for our Missouri fish/kayak/bike getaway this afternoon. The weather forecast is horrendous --- temps in the 90s with heat index well over 100. I think standing in the icy spring water fishing and then kayaking on a nearby cold river will be the best part. We'll take the mtb but may end up not riding much.
Strength
  • 40m

DAy 12 of Ab Challenge
25 crunches
25 bicycles
25 scissor kicks
25 scissor kicks
25 hip lifts
25 leg raise
planks

Then 10 Pound Slimdown DVD - Chris Freytag is the Instructor
Did the Total Body Workout using 10 lb weights

Slept in this morning without a trace of guilt.

8 PM
Update on BeeBee
So BeeBee got to go see her favorite vet, Dr. Sandy. After shaving the area around the bite, Dr. Sandy said she believed it was very likely some kind of spider bite. BeeBee was not showing any kind of distress, i.e. vomiting, fever, etc. so non venomous spider but the red area is about an inch in diameter. Dr. Sandy applied a soothing balm and gave BeeBee the "big daddy antibiotic" shot to ward off any kind of infection.

Run
  • 44m 56s
  • 3.56 miles
  • 12m 37s /Mi

Felt like I was running faster than this but I'll take it. Hot and humid but there was a really nice breeze coming out of the southwest. Legs felt pretty good today.

Strength
  • 10m

Day 11 of Ab Challenge
25 crunches
25 bicycles
25 leg raise
25 scissor kicks
planks

25 side leg raises
25 clamshells

So is anyone else starting to worry about the situation with Syria? I don't really claim to understand exactly what is going on, but it sounds like we are headed to another war.

My older girl kitty, BeeBee, has some kind of bite on her back leg, kind of toward the back of her thigh. I noticed that she had a bald spot and then saw a small red dot in the center of a very large puffy area. It's not oozing anything but is very tender. She did let me put a warm compress on it and massage the area a bit, and seemed to like that. Steve thinks it's a spider bite. If it's still puffy tomorrow I will take her in. With BeeBee's compromised immune system (she is the one who nearly died from liver failure in 2012), I don't like to take any chances.

abake's Training Log

September 2013 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30     

Time
Distance
  • St. Judes Memphis Marathon (Run)
    12/6/2014 Memphis, Tennessee