Enjoy the Journey

Sunday - January 12

Bike
  • 1h 00m
  • 15.00 miles
  • -----

Rode outside with STeve on mtbs, just kind of cruised around town. 47 degrees, very windy but the sunshine sure felt good. Then did intervals on the trainer.

Strength
  • 15m

Medicine ball "slam to ground" - 10
MBall 10 wall throws
Other mball stuff
Squats with 30#
Deadlifts, 30#

Saturday - January 11

Run
  • 2h 07m
  • 10.40 miles
  • 12m 12s /Mi

Pretty good run for me. The rain has made a mess out of the 11 inches of snow, but most of the roads were pretty clear. Mile 9 was the sloppiest. There's a very busy road with a railroad underpass, and the sidewalks were still buried under snow, so I chose to go around and over the train tracks. It was a little like navigating a frozen swamp, and I stepped in icy water a couple of times. Glad that was near the end of the run.

Bike
  • 40m
  • 10.00 miles
  • -----

Spin bike

Friday - January 10

Strength
  • 45m

Phase 1 - Workout B Functional Movement - MTB program

Legs are really sore today. Shoulders aching too. Must be doing something right :(
Day two of Sharepoint Designer. I love the break from the work grand and getting to spend the day with people who are enthused about improving. It's such a mental break.

On the way home last night I stopped by the mall, mostly to get some tea at Teavana, but also needing a new shirt or two for work. I don't really like clothes shopping (well, unless it's for workout attire) and it shows. Stopped by Loft, found nothing and the sales staff could have cared less that I was there. I read a blog piece once by a women in her late 40s talking about feeling invisible in certain situations, and I think I understand what she was talking about. Anyway, no biggie. Went to The Limited for the first time in probably 20 years. A coworker has been finding some very cute clothes there lately. Found a gorgeous blouse and pair of pants. I'll definitely be going back there.

Rain is moving in and melting the 11" of snow. I've slacked on running for about two weeks and only have three weeks left to ramp up for the half marathon. This happens every time I sign up for a winter race --- weather messes up the training schedule. Oh well, I'll consider it a good base for going into the 2014 season.

Thursday - January 9

Quads tight today, feeling the effects of last night's bike workout.
I have a two-day Sharepoint Designer class today, looking very much forward to it.
Weather is supposed to be improving today, so I'm thinking a run outdoors tonight might actually happen.

8 PM Update
Class was excellent. I am wiped out. Learning is very draining.

Wednesday - January 8

Bike
  • 40m
  • 6.00 miles
  • 9.00 Mi/hr

Threshold Workout A from MTB coaching site (done on spin bike at the Y)
5 minute easy spin
6 x 3 minutes standing, 2 minute recovery

By the 4th set, I had to take 10 second breaks every 45 seconds --- just absolutely killing me. This is definitely my weakness on the mtb and I want to improve it

Strength
  • 45m

20 squats
10 pushups
10x crunches, bicycles, leg lifts, hip lifts, scissor kick

6 PM
Workout A - Phase 1 Functional Training - MTB Coaching site
1/4 turkish getup - 3 each side
10 KB one arm swin
Walkback bridge - basically doing a backbend and walking down the wall (does that make sense?). Only did 3 tonight but they felt better. The sensation of being upside down is freaky.
20 pushups
20 flat leg raises
6 suitcase deadlift with kB, l/r
1/2 kneeling alt row - 12 l/r

Plan is to head to the Y after work for an exciting treadmill run.

Tuesday - January 7

Strength
  • 30m

Bunch of odds and end strength stuff that I am too lazy to write down

Monday - January 6

Run
  • 30m
  • 2.56 miles
  • 11m 43s /Mi

Drove over to the Y and managed to get a treadmill.

Strength
  • 45m

Workout B - Phase 1 Functional Training from MTB Strength Workout
too tired to type it all up

Holy crap it's cold here. I did make it to work today. Steve and I shoveled the driveway which, thankfully, did not have much snow accumulated due to the driving wind. It faces east, so the house blocked the worst of it. However, our front porch faces north and we shoveled the walk for the newspaper lady and the area around the mailbox.

We were both bundled up pretty good, and I even put BodyGlide on my face (try this, it works), but with a wind chill of -32, it was just a matter of time before it was too miserable to be outside. Took a couple of breaks to let the fingers thaw out.

Made it in to work today. Besides my boss, I was the only one in our department who was able to come to work. And jeez, all the schools, many businesses, even the state of Illinois offices were closed today and yet our company was open. We had the choice of staying home if it was too dangerous, but had to use PTO time.

My boss is sick and hacking crud up. Just stay home people!!!!!

abake's Training Log

January 2014 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
    1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31 

Volume

Time
Distance

Upcoming races

• Battlegrounds Adventure Race (Adventure)
    5/3/2014 Wright City, Missouri
  • XTERRA EX2 Off-Road Triathlon and Duathlon (Triathlon)
    7/13/2014 Flintstone, Maryland

Totals

• April's totals
  • March's totals
  • 2014 totals
  • 2013 totals