Busy day, ran out of time for a workout. Steve and I both feel like we're coming down with colds. Boo
Bike
  • 1h 00m
  • 21.00 miles
  • 21.00 Mi/hr

Took in a spin class at the new gym. I know the instructor from waaaaayyy back when I belonged to Springfield Racquetball & Fitness, and she delivers a seriously tough workout. Took my mtb shoes thinking I had SPD cleats on them but when I could not clip in, realized I had Crank Brothers cleats. No problem, just used the strap things and actually I think that worked to my advantage since I'm not using clips on the mtb.

Gyms are funny things. You go for the workout but it's always good to have friends and workout buddies. At the Y, where I had been going since 2008, it had gotten to the point where I never saw anyone I knew. Don't know if people just left or if they were on different schedules, but it was pretty lonely there at times. Tonight at LA Fitness I saw Brenda, two women from the running club, two guys that we bike with during the summer, and the president of the local bike club.

Ugh, had computer issues yesterday and wasn't able to get on BT. All is well now.
Feeling a little under the weather today, hopefully it's not going to turn into anything. I am hoping to try out a spin class at the new gym tonight.

Run
  • 52m 49s
  • 4.47 miles
  • 11m 48s /Mi

cruised around the neighborhood

Strength
  • 35m

MTB strength workout - Phase 1 functional movement

Steve and I signed up for a membership at the new L.A. Fitness. We toured it yesterday and I admittedly went in with a bit of a negative attitude. But things at the Y have been not so great lately and it feels like a change might be in order.

Bike
  • 1h 00m
  • 15.00 miles
  • -----

Rode outside with STeve on mtbs, just kind of cruised around town. 47 degrees, very windy but the sunshine sure felt good. Then did intervals on the trainer.

Strength
  • 15m

Medicine ball "slam to ground" - 10
MBall 10 wall throws
Other mball stuff
Squats with 30#
Deadlifts, 30#

Run
  • 2h 07m
  • 10.40 miles
  • 12m 12s /Mi

Pretty good run for me. The rain has made a mess out of the 11 inches of snow, but most of the roads were pretty clear. Mile 9 was the sloppiest. There's a very busy road with a railroad underpass, and the sidewalks were still buried under snow, so I chose to go around and over the train tracks. It was a little like navigating a frozen swamp, and I stepped in icy water a couple of times. Glad that was near the end of the run.

Bike
  • 40m
  • 10.00 miles
  • -----

Spin bike

Strength
  • 45m

Phase 1 - Workout B Functional Movement - MTB program

Legs are really sore today. Shoulders aching too. Must be doing something right :(
Day two of Sharepoint Designer. I love the break from the work grand and getting to spend the day with people who are enthused about improving. It's such a mental break.

On the way home last night I stopped by the mall, mostly to get some tea at Teavana, but also needing a new shirt or two for work. I don't really like clothes shopping (well, unless it's for workout attire) and it shows. Stopped by Loft, found nothing and the sales staff could have cared less that I was there. I read a blog piece once by a women in her late 40s talking about feeling invisible in certain situations, and I think I understand what she was talking about. Anyway, no biggie. Went to The Limited for the first time in probably 20 years. A coworker has been finding some very cute clothes there lately. Found a gorgeous blouse and pair of pants. I'll definitely be going back there.

Rain is moving in and melting the 11" of snow. I've slacked on running for about two weeks and only have three weeks left to ramp up for the half marathon. This happens every time I sign up for a winter race --- weather messes up the training schedule. Oh well, I'll consider it a good base for going into the 2014 season.

abake's Training Log

January 2014 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
    1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31 

Time
Distance
  • St. Judes Memphis Marathon (Run)
    12/6/2014 Memphis, Tennessee
  • Pigman Long Course Triathlon (Triathlon)
    8/16/2015 Palo, Iowa
  • November's totals
  • October's totals
  • 2014 totals
  • 2013 totals