25 squats
10 pushups
30 sec plank - l/r/middle
10 crunches, bicycles, leg lifts, hip lifts, glute briches

Bike
  • 1h 20m
  • 12.00 miles
  • 9.00 Mi/hr

Steve and I rode the mtbs up the paved trail to the singletrack for a New Years Day ride. It was very cold out on the paved trail, but the woods block the wind and it's always a bit more humid. Had a blast bombing down some hills. Was able to ride two rooty climbs that normally I spin out on and walk. We saw several deer. Got a little concerned toward the end -- neither of us had brought lights and dusk closed in very quickly. Got home safe though.

Strength
  • 45m

Did Phase I - Functional Training - Workout B from mtb coaching site
Warmup
Jumping jacks, 3 minutes
Foam roller - butt, back, lats, quads
Chest stretch - 10 sec each side
Hip flexor stretch
Frog stretch
Frog stretch with leg raise
3-way neck stretch
Seated T - spine twist
Wrist circles
Elbow circles
Hula Hoop
Knee Circle
Wall touch deadlift
4-way shoulder raise
Glute bridge

Power & Core
- Turkish Get Up Windmill - 1 set of 3 reps
- Kettlebell snatch - 1 set of 6 on each arm
Focus Circuit
- Wall headstand, 10 seconds
- Inverted row - 10 reps
- Stagger Stance squat - 5 reps each leg
Secondary Circuit
- Goblet squat - 1 set of 12
- 1/2 kneeling alter. press - 1 set of 12
Lactic Capacity
- 3 intervals of 1:3 on the bike with 1 minute recovery

This morning we picked up Steve's dad and drove over to Hannibal, Missouri to visit Steve's daughter and her family. Katie gave birth to an 8 lb 10 oz baby girl on December 23 -- her second baby. I had not yet met Eleanor. She has a lot of thick dark hair, unlike her big sister Zayli, who was nearly bald and towheaded. Zayli is 2 1/2 and while she is one of the most well behaved toddlers you would ever want to meet, is feeling the sting of not being the baby in the family anymore. We played with her farm set for a long time.

Got home, decided that 30 degrees was warm enough to mountain bike. steve and I bundled up and hit the trails. All in all, a very good New Years Day. 2013 was such a wonderful year in so many ways, that it will be a hard act to follow.

Here's to a Happy New Years to my BT friends, wishing all of you a year of adventure!

Work was crazy busy today, which pissed me off. Why pile on the deadlines when so many people are out of the office for holidays???? Oh well...here's to 2014 being a bit more manageable.

Nothing big planned for the evening. We'll try to get a table at a local Italian place. It's only a few blocks away and in kind of a neighborhood setting, so no need to go out and drive around with the drunks.
Run
  • 25m
  • 2.20 miles
  • 11m 21s /Mi

Too cold to run outside so went to the Y. Freaking 75 degrees in the cardio area with no fan anywhere. Honestly, why crank up the heat unless it's one of those "hot yoga" classes? I actually landed a machine next to a friend who is training for Boston, and we both had to cut our workouts short. Just too hot.

Strength
  • 1h 21m

20 squat jumps
25 squats
20 each crunch, bicycle, leg lift, hip lift, scissor kick

6 PM
Phase 1 Functional Movement Workout from Bike James

3 degrees this morning and a wind chill of -15. Looks like any running will be on the mill at the Y. Ugh...

Work is pretty hectic this week and a lot of people are taking time off. Trying to save up vacation time to have some Fridays off this summer.

Today I will start logging food again.

Swim
  • 32m
  • 1350.00 yards
  • 02m 22s /100 yards

Did most of the first workout in BT's off season swimming series.
Can tell I have not been in the water for a long time.

Bike
  • 49m
  • 16.00 miles
  • 19.59 Mi/hr

Drainer ride. Warmup and then 6 x 6 minute intervals with 2 minutes recovery in between

Run
  • 2h 04m
  • 10.00 miles
  • 12m 24s /Mi

Decent long run, had some stomach issues toward the end so took a lot of walk breaks in the last two miles.

We're having a nice day of temps in the 50s and sunshine. Feeling slightly under the weather, which would not surprise me with all the sick people I was in contact with at Christmas. Cleaned out a couple of cupboards and weeded out old, unused pans and skillets. I have to do this sort of thing when Steve is out of town. Might start dismantling our Christmas decorations tomorrow although we won't take the tree down until New Years Day.

Strength
  • 10m

80 squats
20 each: crunch, bicycle, leg lift/hip lift combo, scissor kicks

I joined the BT Mentor Group Gray Guys/Gray Girls --- it's targeted at more "mature" athletes. I enjoyed reading the bios for all of the members.

Steve flew out to Tampa yesterday to spend a little holiday time with his son. I opted not to go this time since work is super busy and I think it's good for those two to get some one-on-one time without me following along.

Used the BT custom plan generator to come up with an Olympic distance plan that will start on Sunday. It's been fun just running and doing strength but really it's time to get some other colors in the graph.

abake's Training Log

January 2014 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
    1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31 

Time
Distance
  • St. Judes Memphis Marathon (Run)
    12/6/2014 Memphis, Tennessee
  • Pigman Long Course Triathlon (Triathlon)
    8/16/2015 Palo, Iowa
  • November's totals
  • October's totals
  • 2014 totals
  • 2013 totals