Enjoy the Journey

Monday - January 6

Run
  • 30m
  • 2.56 miles
  • 11m 43s /Mi

Drove over to the Y and managed to get a treadmill.

Strength
  • 45m

Workout B - Phase 1 Functional Training from MTB Strength Workout
too tired to type it all up

Holy crap it's cold here. I did make it to work today. Steve and I shoveled the driveway which, thankfully, did not have much snow accumulated due to the driving wind. It faces east, so the house blocked the worst of it. However, our front porch faces north and we shoveled the walk for the newspaper lady and the area around the mailbox.

We were both bundled up pretty good, and I even put BodyGlide on my face (try this, it works), but with a wind chill of -32, it was just a matter of time before it was too miserable to be outside. Took a couple of breaks to let the fingers thaw out.

Made it in to work today. Besides my boss, I was the only one in our department who was able to come to work. And jeez, all the schools, many businesses, even the state of Illinois offices were closed today and yet our company was open. We had the choice of staying home if it was too dangerous, but had to use PTO time.

My boss is sick and hacking crud up. Just stay home people!!!!!

Sunday - January 5

Bike
  • 30m
  • 10.00 miles
  • 20.00 Mi/hr

Trainer workout -- did part of SufferFest Local Hero

Batten down the hatches, the winter storm is rolling in. Looks like an indoor kind of day.

7 PM update
Steve and I stayed in all day. This has to be some kind of first for us. Our area got around 10 inches of snow and high winds with whiteout conditions today. Looks like pretty much everything is already shut down for tomorrow in anticipation of record low temperatures.

Saturday - January 4

Bike
  • 30m
  • 7.00 miles
  • 14.00 Mi/hr

Rode the spin bike at the Y, it's closer to mtb than my tri bike on the trainer. Put it on Hill workout and stood up to pedal for 10-20 sec on each hill. The gym was ridiculously busy with the resolutionaries and at the 30 minute point, had to stop and let someone else have the bike.

Run
  • 15m
  • 1.30 miles
  • 11m 32s /Mi

Short dreadmill run after the bike. gym still too hot for any kind of decent workout.

Friday - January 3

Strength
  • 45m

6 PM
Bike James MTB Training - Phase 1 Functional Movement

Dynamic warmup (about 10 minutes of various stretches and moves)
1/4 Turkish Getup with KB - 3 each side
KB swing - 2 x 10 each side
5 - Walkback bridge
20 pushups
20 flat leg raises
6 suitcase deadlift, l/r
12 kneeling alt row, l/r
10 x 10 second standing sprint on bike, 50 sec recovery

-4 here today. I was grateful that my car started. Even sitting in the garage it's ass cold.
Our street was pretty slick after yesterday morning's snow storm, and our house sits on the outside of a slight curve in the road. It surprises people who aren't familiar with the subdivision layout. Looks like someone missed the curve and drove up through our yard, narrowly missing the mailbox, a very large tree, and the corner of the house, before exiting onto the road again.

Thursday - January 2

Strength
  • 10m

2 x
25 squats
10 pushups
30 sec plank - l/r/middle
10 crunches, bicycles, leg lifts, hip lifts, glute briches

Wednesday - January 1

Bike
  • 1h 20m
  • 12.00 miles
  • 9.00 Mi/hr

Steve and I rode the mtbs up the paved trail to the singletrack for a New Years Day ride. It was very cold out on the paved trail, but the woods block the wind and it's always a bit more humid. Had a blast bombing down some hills. Was able to ride two rooty climbs that normally I spin out on and walk. We saw several deer. Got a little concerned toward the end -- neither of us had brought lights and dusk closed in very quickly. Got home safe though.

Strength
  • 45m

Did Phase I - Functional Training - Workout B from mtb coaching site
Warmup
Jumping jacks, 3 minutes
Foam roller - butt, back, lats, quads
Chest stretch - 10 sec each side
Hip flexor stretch
Frog stretch
Frog stretch with leg raise
3-way neck stretch
Seated T - spine twist
Wrist circles
Elbow circles
Hula Hoop
Knee Circle
Wall touch deadlift
4-way shoulder raise
Glute bridge

Power & Core
- Turkish Get Up Windmill - 1 set of 3 reps
- Kettlebell snatch - 1 set of 6 on each arm
Focus Circuit
- Wall headstand, 10 seconds
- Inverted row - 10 reps
- Stagger Stance squat - 5 reps each leg
Secondary Circuit
- Goblet squat - 1 set of 12
- 1/2 kneeling alter. press - 1 set of 12
Lactic Capacity
- 3 intervals of 1:3 on the bike with 1 minute recovery

This morning we picked up Steve's dad and drove over to Hannibal, Missouri to visit Steve's daughter and her family. Katie gave birth to an 8 lb 10 oz baby girl on December 23 -- her second baby. I had not yet met Eleanor. She has a lot of thick dark hair, unlike her big sister Zayli, who was nearly bald and towheaded. Zayli is 2 1/2 and while she is one of the most well behaved toddlers you would ever want to meet, is feeling the sting of not being the baby in the family anymore. We played with her farm set for a long time.

Got home, decided that 30 degrees was warm enough to mountain bike. steve and I bundled up and hit the trails. All in all, a very good New Years Day. 2013 was such a wonderful year in so many ways, that it will be a hard act to follow.

Here's to a Happy New Years to my BT friends, wishing all of you a year of adventure!

Tuesday - December 31

Work was crazy busy today, which pissed me off. Why pile on the deadlines when so many people are out of the office for holidays???? Oh well...here's to 2014 being a bit more manageable.

Nothing big planned for the evening. We'll try to get a table at a local Italian place. It's only a few blocks away and in kind of a neighborhood setting, so no need to go out and drive around with the drunks.

abake's Training Log

January 2014 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
    1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31 

Volume

Time
Distance

Upcoming races