Swim
  • 24m 09s
  • 1312.00 yards
  • 01m 50s /100 yards

Thinking maybe I lost track of some laps although I did feel like I was having a very good swim. Did a simulation for Sunday's Xterra
600 meters
get out and jog around the pool (simulate the 50 meter beach)
600 meters

Bike
  • 55m
  • 6.00 miles
  • 6.55 Mi/hr

guessing on time -- my bike is in the shop getting a new front tire, but Steve really wanted to go mtb. I rode his old Rockhopper with the triple chain ring and 26" tires. It's a really heavy bike but did alright.

Strength
  • 10m

30 squats
20 knee pushups
20 inverted rows, 10 lb db
60 sec plank

Woke up at 4:00 with the plan to get a run in. A big thunderstorm was in progress. Went back to sleep and enjoyed waking up a bit later than usual.

Went to an ortho doc yesterday for some chronic pain in my left thumb that I thought might be tendonitis. Seems like it started when I was lifting weights back in the spring, and made worse by mountain biking. Turns out I have arthritis in that joint. They gave me a soft splint to wear when needed. I have to admit that arthritis is the last thing I had considered, and it was a bit of a reality check.

Run
  • 24m 32s
  • 2.10 miles
  • 11m 40s /Mi

Jogged around the neighborhood. Hot run, but felt surprisingly good

Going to run tonight. It's taper week and I am, as usual, FREAKING OUT. I feel like it would be good to get one or two more short swims in but of course, our freaking pool is closed. Oh well...it will be just fine.

Nice weekend at Lake of the Ozarks with Steve, his dad, DD and her husband and the two grandkids. Zayli (age 3) was stuck to my hip the entire weekend. Much fun in the pool. I was glad Steve and i were able to get out and mountain bike for a couple of hours on Saturday morning. The Honey Run Trail is pretty rugged with much rock and is the perfect final long ride prior to the Xterra race.
Bike
  • 2h 00m
  • 14.00 miles
  • 7.00 Mi/hr

Rode the Honey Run mtb trail in Lake of the Ozarks State Park. Had one very stupid spill where I was indecisive and changed my mind about the line, subsequently tipped over in some loose rock.Steve had a bad crash but is ok, I suspect he may have some cracked ribs. About half a mile from the car, a big rock sliced the sidewall on my front tire and all the sealant in the world could not seal it up. It would have taken longer to fix the tire than to walk back to the car, so I walked it in. Will get a new tire Monday.

We saw what we are pretty sure was a big pile of bear crap in the middle of the South Trail.

We are headed out for Lake of the Ozarks this morning for a short getaway with family. Internet access is sketchy, so probably no BT posting until Sunday night. I'm not good at just lounging by a pool, so there will be some running and mtb involved.

Happy Independence Day to my BT friends!
Run
  • 59m 35s
  • 5.01 miles
  • 11m 53s /Mi

Decent run, did an interval ladder of 2 min, 3 min, 5 min, 3 min, 2 min

Bike
  • 1h 19m
  • 20.00 miles
  • 15.19 Mi/hr

Road ride with Mary down the Sangamon Valley trail and back. Nice night, almost cold

Opted to give legs a rest and sleep in a bit. Have some issues with the thumb on my left hand and based on my armchair doctor diagnosis,I would say it's just tendonitis, but it's beginning to wake me up at night. I was able to get an appointment with a good ortho doctor for Monday the 7th, thanks to my PT friend Brenda.

The pool was closed yesterday due to some chemical issues. When I swam at the Y, this usually meant a kid had crapped in the pool, but LA Fitness doesn't allow anyone under 14 in there, so it's probably not a crap situation. Assuming the pool is reopened today I'll swim at lunch and then have a bike ride in the evening.

abake's Training Log

July 2014 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
   1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31  

Time
Distance
  • St. Judes Memphis Marathon (Run)
    12/6/2014 Memphis, Tennessee
  • Pigman Long Course Triathlon (Triathlon)
    8/16/2015 Palo, Iowa
  • November's totals
  • October's totals
  • 2014 totals
  • 2013 totals