General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best aerobars for the money Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-12-31 12:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
Subject: Best aerobars for the money

I currently have a basic setup that came on my bike with t2+ bars on an os airwing base bar.  The pads slide off to the side every ride.

I am looking at getting a new set of aerobars and I am looking for some input.  Which Brand/model is the best for the money.  Also, is there a big difference between clipons (carbon stryke) and integrated (ex. easton attack, Hed Vantage Eight).  I am looking at the integrated but don't really have a good reason to go for or against either setup.  Lastly, the sizes (ex. 40cm, 42 cm, 44cm) does that refer to the width and how do I choose a size? 

Seperate question.  When looking at derailleurs, what does it mean when it says braze on? short cage? and double?  I am also looking at derailleurs as my bike is extremely loud when I am not pedaling and it is very annoying.  Thank you.

Edited by Moose22 2008-12-31 12:37 PM

2008-12-31 12:51 PM
in reply to: #1879952

User image

Elite
Armpit of Ontario
Subject: RE: Best aerobars for the money

If I had money to burn or really needed a new setup, I'd scoop these up in a minute: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=142889&posts=5&start=1

"best" is relative and takes into consideration fit, price, stiffness, weight, looks, claimed aerodynamics - I could never justify spending $1000+ on lightweight carbon bars and am perfectly happy with my $100 used aluminum set, which do the exact same thing as the $1000+ set.

The size refers to the width of the entire bar from centre to centre of basebar handgips. 

My advice would be set a budget and stick to it and look at the bars within that budget - it's too easy to get pulled into the best/lightest/most aero frame of thinking.

2009-01-01 9:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
Those look awesome but a little much for my price range right now.  Does anyone use the syntace C3 clip ons.  The IM triathlete at my LBS said they are awesome and extremely comfortable.  Any experiences with them?
2009-01-01 9:59 AM
in reply to: #1880981

User image

Elite
Armpit of Ontario

Does your LBS stock the C3s, or any other bars that you could try out at the shop on a trainer bike or maybe they would slap a set of clip on onto your bike to try? It really is a matter of comfort for a particular rider. Most people like the ski-bend extensions for more wrist comfort, but I am just the opposite - ski bends hurt my wrist, but the straight/chicane extensions I have now are really comfy. You would benefit from trying out a few sets at an LBS.

Clipsons may give you more adjustability than integrated bars - this current thread speaks a little to the idea:  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=143117&posts=6&start=1

2009-01-01 11:30 AM
in reply to: #1880981

User image

Champion
for the price, the best thing i think you could do is look at the vision base bar, with either vision extensions or profile T2+ ones. very cheap, aero, reasonably light, and look good, plus adjustable.

if you have some money to throw around, check out the pro missile bars, the giant t-mobil bars, or the easton attacks.
2009-01-04 1:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
What else are people using that they love or what would you get if you could have any setup you want?

2009-01-04 2:24 PM
in reply to: #1885394

User image

Elite
Armpit of Ontario

I got an Oval Concepts A701 cockpit last season and it really lets me get low in the front:  http://www.ovalconcepts.com/inc/dettaglio.php?idProd=133  which retails for under $300 but can be found much cheaper, in the $150-$200 range if you look. Tons of adjustability. 

It was an upgrade from the Syntace setup I had and is much more comfortable for me with the S bends, although it is all-aluminum and not exactly lightweight. If I could upgrade, it would only be because I had money to burn; this setup leaves me wanting nothing, except maybe a little weight reduction and some vibration dampening if I were to go with a full-carbon setup, but essentially the EXACT same bars in carbon runs around $1200, so I'm quite happy with what I have.  But, if I did have money to burn, I would get the Oval Concepts A921 Jetstream.

I

2009-01-05 12:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
How important is weight when it comes to the bars. It seems like a lot of them are pretty heavy and then you have a few that are much lighter like the Easton Attack TT (Which I read a review that said they are very uncomfortable) and the Sonic CSX with Cobra base bar set up.  Also, I am having a tough time because none of the stores around me have much of a selection to try out or feel so I am kind of having to make this decision blind.  I am looking for something that will be comfortable for long and short rides alike.  Anyone have experience with Syntace c3, easton attack tt, PD CBX Pro, or any other favorites out there.  Thank you.
2009-01-05 9:59 PM
in reply to: #1886922

User image

Champion
bar fit comes way before weight.

the easton bars are great if they fit you, if not they suck, because you cannot adjust them aside from pad width.

i use the gaint t-modbil bar, with straight extenions and cut striaght grips and LOVE them
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best aerobars for the money Rss Feed