General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Move to Boise??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-10-26 3:48 PM

User image

Elite
Utah
Subject: Move to Boise???

I just applied for a position with a local major employer there in Boise.

That being said, I have no clue what my chances for the position is (though I meet all of their minimum qualifications and most of their preferred), but now the brain is running on different scenario's of all sorts should I GET a job offer.  

So tell me, what are your biggest pro's and con's about the area?
(we've already discovered that the medical community is small and there may not be much opportunity for my husband in imaging   ).

If you had the opportunity to move out of there would you?  and why?

THANKS!

2012-10-26 5:01 PM
in reply to: #4471045

User image

Elite
Boise
Subject: RE: Move to Boise???

I think you are mistaken on the medical community. There is a surprisingly large hospital presence to me. St. Luke's and St. Al's are both expanding and quite present everywhere you go. Boise is a great place to live. It is incredibly cheap cost of living wise. There are tons of places to bike and run. The swimming spots are a little more limited, but still there. There are a lot of good local tri people. The races here aren't huge, but they are well run IMO. I don't think you can go wrong moving here if you have a nice job lined up.

Good luck.

P.S. you also have to root for the broncos then too!

2012-10-26 5:16 PM
in reply to: #4471128

User image

Elite
Utah
JoshR - 2012-10-26 4:01 PM

I think you are mistaken on the medical community. There is a surprisingly large hospital presence to me. St. Luke's and St. Al's are both expanding and quite present everywhere you go. Boise is a great place to live. It is incredibly cheap cost of living wise. There are tons of places to bike and run. The swimming spots are a little more limited, but still there. There are a lot of good local tri people. The races here aren't huge, but they are well run IMO. I don't think you can go wrong moving here if you have a nice job lined up.

Good luck.

P.S. you also have to root for the broncos then too!

lol... I root for the Bronco's occassionally (you ARE talking BSU not Denver, right?).  But my alliances and blood will ALWAYS lay with LSU
Not to mention, the current job opening will likely REQUIRE that I purchase at least one or two orange and blue shirts :p

Thanks!!

2012-10-27 9:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Hi Heather!

You'll get a very biased opinion from me, I love this area. I'm a transplant from back east and I just love the outdoor lifestyle here. I particularly love living out in the Eagle area b/c you can easily get a 2hr ride and be off the major roads for most of the ride. When it comes to running there are trails in Boise and here in Eagle that you can run on or mtn bike on if you like that. The swimming is fine early in the season, you can hit Clocktower or Vets but when it warms up I prefer the pool or just going to the big resevoirs Lucky Peak or most times I'd just drive out to  Black Canyon Resevoir in Emmett, they both are equally far for me.

Good luck with whatever you decide but I agree with Josh, you can't go wrong, Boise is a great community.

Deirdre

2012-10-29 10:14 AM
in reply to: #4472161

User image

Elite
Boise
PatsyID - 2012-10-27 8:43 PM

Hi Heather!

You'll get a very biased opinion from me, I love this area. I'm a transplant from back east and I just love the outdoor lifestyle here. I particularly love living out in the Eagle area b/c you can easily get a 2hr ride and be off the major roads for most of the ride. When it comes to running there are trails in Boise and here in Eagle that you can run on or mtn bike on if you like that. The swimming is fine early in the season, you can hit Clocktower or Vets but when it warms up I prefer the pool or just going to the big resevoirs Lucky Peak or most times I'd just drive out to  Black Canyon Resevoir in Emmett, they both are equally far for me.

Good luck with whatever you decide but I agree with Josh, you can't go wrong, Boise is a great community.

Deirdre

Deirdre is also a little crazy, so you'll always have someone to train with! She chews up training partners and spits them out. 

2012-10-29 1:08 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Boise is a great place to live. Close to any kind of outdoor recreation you can think of, big but not big enough to have big city problems. Traffic has improved a lot in the last few years, not near as bad as it used to be. 

My wife and I discussed moving out of Idaho when we first got married, we tried to figure out a place that had everything we both wanted (skiiing, river rafting, 4 seasons, decent sized town, etc.) We couldn't think of any place better so we stayed, glad we did.

And there are plenty of us BSU haters here... we just keep quiet when surrounded by a large crowd.

2012-10-29 9:29 PM
in reply to: #4473465

User image

Extreme Veteran
JoshR - 2012-10-29 9:14 AM
PatsyID - 2012-10-27 8:43 PM

Hi Heather!

Deirdre

Deirdre is also a little crazy, so you'll always have someone to train with! She chews up training partners and spits them out. 

Now don't go scaring her away Josh!Wink

Edited by PatsyID 2012-10-29 9:30 PM
2012-12-05 12:30 PM

User image

Regular
geauxtri - 2012-10-26 1:48 PM

I just applied for a position with a local major employer there in Boise.

That being said, I have no clue what my chances for the position is (though I meet all of their minimum qualifications and most of their preferred), but now the brain is running on different scenario's of all sorts should I GET a job offer.  

So tell me, what are your biggest pro's and con's about the area?
(we've already discovered that the medical community is small and there may not be much opportunity for my husband in imaging   ).

If you had the opportunity to move out of there would you?  and why?

THANKS!

The medical community isn't really small but could be compared to what you are used to.  St. Lukes, St. Al's both have medical centers in Boise and I believe Eagle. St. Lukes Meridian is very busy. Inland Imaging is another facility. If you venture west you have Nampa medical centers, and Caldwell has medical center too.  MRI of Idaho is also there.

As to the area in general. I lived there for ten years. Moved away to be back closer to where I grew up and also because of a job opportunity.  I love the foothills there. There are a lot of running races, skiing winter and summer.  Also I know they have some local tris there too.  

I would say if I had a chance to move back there and have all my family follow I would probably move back there because I liked the area quite a bit for all the things available to me.

2013-09-14 6:42 PM
in reply to: geauxtri

Did you get the job?? I'm here from Yakima, WA but we're thinking of relocating to Boise as well.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Move to Boise??? Rss Feed