General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IT Band Wrap - good or a waste of money? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-02-04 2:35 PM

New user
Subject: IT Band Wrap - good or a waste of money?
I did my first half marathon back in November. While training for it I noticed that once I hit mile 9 my right knee started hurting. Fast forward to race day and yep, on my last mile to mile and a half my right leg completely seized up. I managed to stretch and eventually walk and then after some time run (hobble?) across the finish line. Classic IT band problem I have been told by many folks.

Since then I have been stretching daily or almost daily - flexibility is NOT my problem but I'm doing it regardless. I also started using the therabands to strengthen gluts, etc. per the numerous articles I have read on the subject. I've been doing that for 2 months, give or take.

I can run short distances fairly comfortably but even with all the stretching and strength exercises once I start to hit the longer (for me) miles it starts hurting. I tried to do 7 miles last week and ended up walking yet again for probably a mile. While I realize that this just might take some more time I'm getting somewhat frustrated and wondered if there was anything else I could do.

Does the IT Band Wrap work? Is it a good thing or bad thing? I don't want to exacerbate the problem but if it can help me stabilize my knee I would love to give it a try. I will keep up the other activity as well as I don't view this as the "solution", just something that might help me get to the other side of this problem. Has anyone on the forum used them and if so, what were your results?

2014-02-04 3:27 PM
in reply to: kmstig

User image

Subject: RE: IT Band Wrap - good or a waste of money?
I have not used an exclusive IT sleeve. I have used a full sleeve that was supposed to support the IT. Felt different (better?) enough that I used it regularly for longer runs for a few months. It did not allow me to train without pain.

Three changes fixed my IT issues (or one of them did -- who knows?).

- Strength training, especially with hips, glutes and hamstrings.
- Tinkering with my stride to focus on mid-foot landing right under center of gravity.
- Training smarter (building mileage carefully, doing more miles in zone 2, not skimping on stretching).

I found this link helpful. Good luck.

http://strengthrunning.com/2010/10/how-to-treat-injuries-healing-it...
2014-02-04 3:51 PM
in reply to: Batcheldor

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
Classic IT band problem I have been told by many folks.

Do yourself a favor and get a proper diagnosis from a competent sports physician, The Knee is a very complex Joint and any # of things besides An IT issue could be causing the problem that you are describing. IT , meniscus, brusied femer head ect ect ect

Sleeves, supports, and bands are really just temporary relief fixes anyway, More often then not the best fix is rest, ice and more rest.
the best fix I have found is as mentioned in the previous post is, once its healed start strength training and gradually strengthen the knee and supporting tendons and ligaments to the point where its not an issue anymore.

Good luck
2014-02-04 4:06 PM
in reply to: RRH_88

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Originally posted by RRH_88 Classic IT band problem I have been told by many folks. Do yourself a favor and get a proper diagnosis from a competent sports physician, The Knee is a very complex Joint and any # of things besides An IT issue could be causing the problem that you are describing. IT , meniscus, brusied femer head ect ect ect Sleeves, supports, and bands are really just temporary relief fixes anyway, More often then not the best fix is rest, ice and more rest. the best fix I have found is as mentioned in the previous post is, once its healed start strength training and gradually strengthen the knee and supporting tendons and ligaments to the point where its not an issue anymore. Good luck

^^^^THIS^^^^^^

I chased my own tail for months, on-line, trying to self diagnose an injury.  A PROFESSIONAL Sports Therapist isolated the problem got me rehabbing the right parts and (knock on wood) been good ever since. 

2014-02-04 4:28 PM

User image

I used one to get thru my HIM in Dec. It was more of a mental crutch than anything else. Not sure if it actually helped or not. Prior to that and since then I have really worked on my running form: short strides, high cadence, mid foot landing, steady head, etc. Had my wife take videos so I could compare and track progress. Also worked with my PT to help loosen the area with ART treatments and strengthen glutes. Lastly, I took a few weeks off from running and am currently slowly building miles back up with lots of foam rolling every day. So far, so good.
2014-02-04 4:33 PM
in reply to: jeffnboise

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by jeffnboise

Originally posted by RRH_88 Classic IT band problem I have been told by many folks. Do yourself a favor and get a proper diagnosis from a competent sports physician, The Knee is a very complex Joint and any # of things besides An IT issue could be causing the problem that you are describing. IT , meniscus, brusied femer head ect ect ect Sleeves, supports, and bands are really just temporary relief fixes anyway, More often then not the best fix is rest, ice and more rest. the best fix I have found is as mentioned in the previous post is, once its healed start strength training and gradually strengthen the knee and supporting tendons and ligaments to the point where its not an issue anymore. Good luck

^^^^THIS^^^^^^

I chased my own tail for months, on-line, trying to self diagnose an injury.  A PROFESSIONAL Sports Therapist isolated the problem got me rehabbing the right parts and (knock on wood) been good ever since. 

+1 !!!

Don't waste your time and try figuring out what will fix the problem. Seek a professional!

The strap will offer only temporary relief but the problem you have will still remain. I had ITBS sideline me a few times the past few years and learned the hard way. I went from using the strap, foam rolling, stretching, strength training, and finally a chiropractor who found I had unbalanced hips! Ughhh, anyway, just take my experience, see someone who can help you and don't try figuring it out yourself. It's worth the time and money.

2014-02-05 7:39 AM

User image

Signal Mountain, Tennessee
Don't bother with the IT Band wraps unless you like wasting money. The Graston technique solved my ITBS in less than 2 weeks. It's a painful procedure, but I'm now a believer. I would recommend first going to a sports medicine doctor to diagnose exactly what is going on. If you do in fact have ITBS, ask your doctor about Graston and/or ARTS. If you are curious about those techniques, check it out on youtube.
2014-02-05 9:03 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
Your experience is identical to what I went through about 2 years ago. By far the best thing I did was REST it and not run through it. Plenty of foam rolling, stretches, strengthen all the areas we know affect IT. But, in my case, my friends and I had signed up for a tough mudder. Long story short, I found some success with an IT band strap I got on amazon. Obviously, this was not "cure" to my issue, but it did allow me to go further/better with no pain. It immobilized the IT band supposedly. It worked for me and many others have given good reviews. I go tthe Pro Tech IT band wrap/strap.

As others above have mentioned and I agree, this is not a cure or fix. I did go through the physical therapy (they did the graston technique with that torture tool, and then they taught me all the exercises/stretches to do along with rolling). The strap is NOT intended to "cure" or "heal" your problem. I agree that PT may be required. But, if you HAD to run or had something you wanted to do, for a lot of people this thing works.

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Tec-Athletics-Iliotibial-Compression-Blac...

Edited by taylorz13 2014-02-05 9:05 AM
2014-02-05 12:39 PM

User image

Fort Walton Beach
My hubby did the same thing. First half, mile 9 his ITB started to flare and has been an issue since. He did get a wrap, it does help, but it is not a cure. He's be rolling, relented and started doing yoga with me and has been having some Active Release Therapy done. The ART really seems to be helping. Avoiding riding in big gears when we cycle has also helped. It won't hurt when he rides, but is far worse on the next run if he pushes it. So we are keeping the riding to recovery efforts in easy gears until after his next half.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IT Band Wrap - good or a waste of money? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Edge 800 good to have or waste of money

Started by timf79
Views: 590 Posts: 3

2013-05-17 9:26 AM DanielG

Best way to wrap a foot wound for swim

Started by jktow
Views: 8599 Posts: 16

2010-08-19 8:12 AM jktow

Gatorade - waste of money? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by agarose2000
Views: 4420 Posts: 55

2009-02-28 7:10 PM cusetri

Best aerobars for the money

Started by Moose22
Views: 1679 Posts: 9

2009-01-05 9:59 PM newbz

Best tires for the money?

Started by TriMike
Views: 2238 Posts: 7

2008-10-11 6:19 AM TriMike
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 19, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 5
I have this very annoying IT band pain in my left knee only. It comes and goes out of nowhere. Last year I had it and took three months off and now slowly started back up.

date : May 29, 2012
comments : 0
I have a tight IT band on my left leg, but my right knee's pain is in a slightly different area, more in the joint, on the outside of the knee. Is this still an IT band issue?
date : February 4, 2009
author : mrakes1
Marni will show you how to make your own delicious and nutritious wrap that is light on calories but high in protein and nutrients.

date : July 15, 2008
comments : 2
So lately when I run after about 3 miles I get a nasty pain on the outside of my knee area. I have been assuming it is IT band syndrome? What can I do to help this?
date : October 3, 2007
The symptoms, diagnosis, treatment, recovery and prevention of iliotibial band syndrome caused by excessive friction of the distal portion of the iliotibial band during activities like running.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : January 1, 2006
author : Coach AJ
So when it comes to triathlon, the largest investment we make, in both terms, comes in the bike. Looking at ways to get faster, while considering a budget, is a bind for most triathletes.

date : September 3, 2005
author : ChiRunning
comments : 1
“The absence of unnecessary effort,” means that if you don't do any more than is necessary (to accomplish an activity), you won't waste your energy and feel drained afterwards.