General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming with Band only: my favorite drill Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-08 9:09 AM

User image

New user
penticton
Subject: Swimming with Band only: my favorite drill
It s my training partner, Tom Evans that initiated me to the Band only swimming drill in 2004. He loved doing those and as we trained together...i had to get with the program! As i got back to my regular squad swims, my coach Joel Filliol decided to try a little experiment where i would swim with band only anytimes there is a pull set. So what ever the others do pulling..i would do with a band only. i believe the experiment lasted 6 months or so.

The interesting thing is, swimming with a band might sound hard...but it s highly technical and when you finally understand how to keep your body high on the water, it become rather easy to do so. I progressed to hold 1:20-25s/100m on longer sets of 400s and could swim 1500-2000m of it in practice with very little issue. Transferring those skill to my normal freestyle made a amazing difference in pace...it was definitely a precious tool for me as a athlete

Now standing on the pool deck as a coach, i have to say it s one of my favorite drill to use to teach triathlete to swim ''on top'' of the water, to kept a high turnover and be aware of any slippage in their catch.

I suggest you start with 50s at first as until you master the technical part... it can be a grueling effort. But remember... if you can apply those concept...the results can be spectacular for your every day swimming.

hope this video can help some of you! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg-GB2_lPyI

2014-04-08 9:44 AM
in reply to: jonnyo

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Subject: RE: Swimming with Band only: my favorite drill
I just want to thank you for coming on and giving your coaching tips.

Loved tip number five about arm position for the catch.

I have been doing a lot of body position work recently and this looks like a great addition to my drills.
2014-04-08 10:19 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Originally posted by wannabefaster

I just want to thank you for coming on and giving your coaching tips.

Loved tip number five about arm position for the catch.

I have been doing a lot of body position work recently and this looks like a great addition to my drills.

x2. Always good posts with a ton of information in them, and videos to boot.
2014-04-08 10:33 AM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
A drill to help you better execute a drill to help you swim better. Its the Inception of swim training!

An awesome thing to share.
2014-04-08 10:50 AM

, Idaho
Thank you. I've been using a band for a few months, but haven't been able to understand how to use it effectively without a pull buoy until watching your video. Awesome stuff!
2014-04-08 11:00 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by jonnyo

It s my training partner, Tom Evans that initiated me to the Band only swimming drill in 2004. He loved doing those and as we trained together...i had to get with the program! As i got back to my regular squad swims, my coach Joel Filliol decided to try a little experiment where i would swim with band only anytimes there is a pull set. So what ever the others do pulling..i would do with a band only. i believe the experiment lasted 6 months or so.

The interesting thing is, swimming with a band might sound hard...but it s highly technical and when you finally understand how to keep your body high on the water, it become rather easy to do so. I progressed to hold 1:20-25s/100m on longer sets of 400s and could swim 1500-2000m of it in practice with very little issue. Transferring those skill to my normal freestyle made a amazing difference in pace...it was definitely a precious tool for me as a athlete

Now standing on the pool deck as a coach, i have to say it s one of my favorite drill to use to teach triathlete to swim ''on top'' of the water, to kept a high turnover and be aware of any slippage in their catch.

I suggest you start with 50s at first as until you master the technical part... it can be a grueling effort. But remember... if you can apply those concept...the results can be spectacular for your every day swimming.

hope this video can help some of you! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg-GB2_lPyI

Thanks Jonnyo.

People hate and fear bands, but it does what swimming without one isn't as effective in teaching. High turnover and staying on top of the water. I hear it all the time when swimmers start to swim on top of the water. It's like a "I got it" moment.

2014-04-08 12:45 PM

User image

Champion
MA

What is the difference in swim awareness/gains in swimming with a band only and band with a pull buoy?

I had a coach who had me do a lot of band with pull buoy and i had my best IM swim that year despite not being faster in my 50s or 100s.

2014-04-08 1:02 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Thanks Johnny, for all your tips here.

Question, I've often heard that band swimming promotes a higher turnover. Would it not be possible for someone to band swim with a lower turnover or is just the higher turnover helps to get you to the point where you can band swim properly? 

2014-04-08 2:26 PM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

New user
penticton
it would be possible if you have a very efficent catch to swim at slower turnover but why would you want this?

having a high turnover for a triathlete is about the best open water weapon to have in your tool box. for most, it s something you should aim for!

2014-04-08 2:29 PM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

New user
penticton
i m not sure why people put on band while using a pull boey. i dont and dont see the point.

on the other hand, a band only create a big position issue/challenge and require some big adjustment to keep/teach the body to stay high on the water.

so i see them as very different. I m sure some coaches have reason to use the band with a pull buoy. i personally dont use it for that purpose.

also, in general, womens have a much easier time swimming with a band compare to men.... they simply float a lot more. But that is a generalisation... not everyone fit this statement.
2014-04-08 4:56 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Originally posted by jonnyo it would be possible if you have a very efficent catch to swim at slower turnover but why would you want this? having a high turnover for a triathlete is about the best open water weapon to have in your tool box. for most, it s something you should aim for!

I'm not saying I would want it, I actually believe a higher turnover is beneficial to OWS (even though I swim like crap). But if you could accomplish this successfully with a slower stroke rate wouldn't that equate to being even more efficient and better balanced than with a higher stroke rate and then you could carry that into increasing stroke rate? Maybe that's a bit of a chicken or egg thought though. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming with Band only: my favorite drill Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

"Just Swim" or "Drill, Drill, Drill"? Pages: 1 2

Started by Tom Demerly.
Views: 3401 Posts: 29

2012-05-22 11:14 PM gwbuild

Swim drills with ankle band = new swim coach

Started by yazmaster
Views: 4866 Posts: 25

2012-04-28 2:17 PM AdventureBear

Swim drill guaranteed to make you swim fast

Started by ohiost90
Views: 2366 Posts: 21

2008-07-19 9:01 AM ditchdoc

Your Favorite Swim drills

Started by savtrinewb
Views: 1584 Posts: 10

2008-02-06 5:13 PM Micawber

Swim question - one arm drills vs regular swimming

Started by ssshaunaaa
Views: 1508 Posts: 6

2007-04-02 6:31 AM KathyG
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 19, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 5
I have this very annoying IT band pain in my left knee only. It comes and goes out of nowhere. Last year I had it and took three months off and now slowly started back up.

date : May 29, 2012
comments : 0
I have a tight IT band on my left leg, but my right knee's pain is in a slightly different area, more in the joint, on the outside of the knee. Is this still an IT band issue?
date : October 5, 2010
author : Sara McLarty
This installment of the BT Swim Series will focus on the four major parts of the arm stroke in freestyle: Catch, Pull, Finish, & Recovery.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
The single arm drill ensures that you are getting the rotation you need throughout your stroke.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : March 5, 2009
author : mrakes1
Discussions on an eating plan to lose weight, lean protein sources, being hungry, recovery foods, eggs and Marni's favorite supplements.
date : July 15, 2008
comments : 2
So lately when I run after about 3 miles I get a nasty pain on the outside of my knee area. I have been assuming it is IT band syndrome? What can I do to help this?

date : October 3, 2007
The symptoms, diagnosis, treatment, recovery and prevention of iliotibial band syndrome caused by excessive friction of the distal portion of the iliotibial band during activities like running.