None
Event warmup:

None
Run
  • 30h 03m 39s
  • 100 miles
  • 18m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

This one was great because my family got to crew me! I gotta think getting all of us together in one place will be increasingly hard as Erin and Conor are in the Air Force and getting leave at specific times will be harder as time goes on....we'll see. Anyway, I wanted them to see and understand first hand what it's like to do one of these races. Telling the stories or reading about it is one thing, but being there is what it takes to really "get" it. I really like this race, but it is SO FUCKING HARD.....mostly because of the heat. Nearly half of the starters DNF'd (47%), so that was about 90ish. The actual results do not show them. Everyone did a huge chunk of miles with me during the race, starting after the 7 mile bridge. I think Erin surprised herself at how far she was able to go. I ended up walking a good chunk of the race, but I was fine with that. I really did want to break that 24 hour mark, but I think that ship has sailed. This isn't one of those overly detailed reports, as running this race isn't overly memorable. Conor and I saw the mini deers on one key during the night, and one let me pet it's nose. Everyone stayed very positive, which can be hard to do on a ultra. Being sleep deprived can wear on your nerves. They kept me fed, hydrated and moving. We got to talk A LOT, which I really enjoyed. I finished, and then the real fun began. We had a great family vacation in Key West.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing....but I may be done with this one. That was #4, and while I do enjoy Key West, the 100 may be at it's end. I'd gladly crew it though. We'll see.
Post race
Warm down:

Survive. Had a beer, and hobbled my ass back to the car. Got into our sketchy Air B n B, which turned into a fiasco, but that's another story for another place.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Age? Training? Heat? Who knows.

Event comments:

Something keeps taking me back to this race, even though it is so hard. It's well done, but the festivities and food were pretty much over by the time I finished. Go if you can and decide for yourself.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2024-04-29 12:00 AM
Running
30:03:39 | 100 miles | 18m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 74/99
Performance: Average
Course: Mostly flat and straight from Key Largo to Key West. Bridges.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes