White Lake Spring Half
CUSTOM training plans for this race
- Date: April 22, 2017
1247 Hwy 53 East,
Elizabethtown, North Carolina
- Country: United States
- Race type: Triathlon (1/2 Ironman)
- Distances: Swim (2112.00 yards) Bike (56.00 miles) Run (13.10 miles)
- Organization: Set Up Events
- Website: http://www.setupevents.com/?fuseaction=event_detail&eventID=2689
- Contact email:
- Description: Swim: The basic reason that both White Lake races (the Half and the Sprint) have become so popular over the years is the lake itself. White Lake is one of the finest lakes you will ever have the pleasure to swim in – a perfect oval, two miles long and one mile across. The lake which is fed by subterranean springs is crystal clear with a sand bottom – about nine feet deep out in the very middle. Most mornings, White Lake is so perfectly flat; you’d swear you were looking at a sheet of ice. This is an in-water start with participants lining up with the end of the two piers/docks at the NCFFA Center. The swim course is a triangular shaped course. Participants exit the water at the end of the easternmost pier/dock and run about 300 yards to the transition area. Expect the water temp to be in the high 60s to the low 70s. This WILL be a wetsuit legal race. If the water temperature is below 65 degrees this event will become a wetsuit mandatory event.
Bike: The White Lake Half bike course will have competitors taking a right out of the FFA center onto Hwy 53, then down around the Wam Squam to Hwy 701. North on Hwy 701 for 8 miles to Hwy 210. Right (southeast) on Hwy 210 for 25 miles to Hwy 53. Right on Hwy 53 for the 20 miles back to the race site. The best part of the new bike course was the elimination of the famed Over Lyon out & back section in 2013. Literally only four turns on the 56 mile course.
Run: The run course will have runners going right on Hwy 53 out of the FFA center and down behind the Wam Squam.The course is on the bike lane along 701. Runners will run in and out of Turtle Cove on the way out. They will NOT enter Turtle Cove on the way back. Not much shade on this run course, so the earlier date should be appreciated the most on the run. Vehicular traffic and runners will be separated by DOT traffic cones.
Members who are scheduled to race: