Richmond Rox Half Iron Triathlon
CUSTOM training plans for this race
- Date: September 21, 2014
- Address: 211 Rocketts Way,
Richmond, Virginia Get directions
- Country: United States
- Race type: Triathlon (1/2 Ironman)
- Distances: Swim (2112.00 yards) Bike (56.00 miles) Run (13.10 miles)
- Organization: Richmond Multisports
- Website: http://www.richmondmultisports.com
- Contact email: 411@RichmondMultisports.com
- Description: Swim: The swim cut-off time is 70 minutes. If you are familiar with the Rocketts Landing swim course, the swim will extend 150 meters beyond "the rock" for a 1.2 mile swim in the James River starting from the dock at the Boathouse Restaurant. The expected river temp will be in the mid 70's and likely wetsuit eligible. The river current is tidal, yet the "fall line" with the rock beds actively slows down the current speed. There will be 2 swim course options posted due to river condition options on race day. We will choose the safest course based on river levels and flow.
Bike: The course will overlap some of the RockettsTri course yet expand beyond the beautiful east end Richmond rural roads. It will head out east onto Osbourne/RT 5 and Kingsland, with a lollipop loop. The bike course is pretty flat in some areas with a some rollers, single digit hill at mile 1 - yet short. It will be one loop, scenic, rural, with a cool skyline view to rock back into transition at Rocketts Village. There will be two strategically placed bottle hand offs on this course and portalets at miles 18 (Citgo station) Charles City RD and mile 43 at Buffin/Kingsland. Have a trash bottle ready to handoff that will not be returned. Gatorade Endurance is our new drink sponsor! VCU Medical Center bottles will have water in them. Bike course cut off time is 4 hrs from the end of the swim cut off of your wave and course support will be released by 12:30pm.
Run: The run starts at the Rocketts Landing Village community along the James River and heads down the Capital Trail along dock street. You will head onto the historical Canal Walk, onto 14th street bridge, right on West 7th Street, left on Semmes, right on 12th, left on Railroad at Suntrust, right onto the Lee bridge (best views on the course), down Byrd, pop onto scenic Brown's Island, onto Canal Walk ... don't forget to check out all the local artist murals! You will run a two loop course before heading back over to Rocketts Landing for the finish. This course will be a great break for road race boredom and give you a sense of history and picturesque scenery. There will be aid stations at every mile marker, some over lapping due to the 2 loop run course. Along with Gatorade we will provide Clif shots and Clif blocks. Coke, salt tabs, rags will be on the later aid stations at miles 10, 11, 12. Run course closes 3:15pm. This is 8 hrs from the last swim wave start. Runners must stay on sidewalks during the race where applicable.
Race course cut off time enforced at 8hrs
- Members who are scheduled to race: tkatzhyman