Iron Distance Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: Ron Reply
Show Per page

of 7

2014-08-05 5:05 PM
in reply to: djdavey

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin Official Thread 2014
OK this will be my first full IM.....what do people put in their special needs bags??

2014-08-06 8:48 AM
in reply to: rgarcia1501

User image

Elite
West Allis

Originally posted by rgarcia1501 OK this will be my first full IM.....what do people put in their special needs bags??

for the bike i put in a big bottle of gatorade and a big bottle of water to refill my bike bottles, also put in what gels i need for the second half of the bike.  In the past i have also put in some pretzels or combos, or a protein bar.

for run the only thing i have ever put in the special needs bag is a red bull, smallest can possible!

2014-08-06 9:57 AM
in reply to: djdavey

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove
Gold member

Race numbers are up!!

http://www.ironman.com/~/media/99d4ca0c54e64adaac1bdce593f4ec90/wisconsin%20bib%20list.pdf

I'm 1661... a palindrome. That's good luck, right?

Farlig is 434. Did you get a low number because you registered on site last year? or perhaps a past participant? It's interesting that there are a handful of 3 digit numbers interspersed between the otherwise sequential (by Age Group) 4 digit numbers

As an aside, I drove down to Verona Monday and rode the two loops yesterday. Man am I glad I did! I wasn't terribly worried about the elevation and hills everyone talks about given the elevation map says there's only 2800 feet of gain. I didn't understand why it said "for one loop." I guess because it's only for one loop... duh! 4550 feet just for the 80 miles of the two loops! holy buckets those are some hills. Also set a personal land speed record at 45.4 mph bombing down Timber Ln. Consider my expected bike time adjusted accordingly...

2014-08-06 11:45 AM
in reply to: rdailey1

User image

New user
Kenosha
Originally posted by rdailey1

Race numbers are up!!

http://www.ironman.com/~/media/99d4ca0c54e64adaac1bdce593f4ec90/wisconsin%20bib%20list.pdf

Farlig is 434. Did you get a low number because you registered on site last year? or perhaps a past participant? It's interesting that there are a handful of 3 digit numbers interspersed between the otherwise sequential (by Age Group) 4 digit numbers

As an aside, I drove down to Verona Monday and rode the two loops yesterday. Man am I glad I did! I wasn't terribly worried about the elevation and hills everyone talks about given the elevation map says there's only 2800 feet of gain. I didn't understand why it said "for one loop." I guess because it's only for one loop... duh! 4550 feet just for the 80 miles of the two loops! holy buckets those are some hills. Also set a personal land speed record at 45.4 mph bombing down Timber Ln. Consider my expected bike time adjusted accordingly...

I'm 1116. Gordon_mom is 914.

Those hills on Timber are a lot of fun!!! The 3 sisters at the back end of the loop are a challenge, but I would consider the climb in to Mt Horeb (on Hwy 92) to be the first hill that will test us all.

The elevation gain on the map is for one loop. Chatted with the Race Director last Friday evening. He said they are working with Garmin to capture accurate elevation data for all Ironman races as IMMOO is not the only one that's a "little" out of whack.

Good luck everyone!
Cyndi
2014-08-06 4:49 PM
in reply to: rdailey1

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eden Prairie, MN, Minnesota
Originally posted by rdailey1

Race numbers are up!!

Sweet. Two palindromes. They are ABSOLUTELY good luck!

I have no clue what the assignment pattern is. I've registered on site all 3 times. I was 699 in 2010 and 1783 in 2012.

Riding the course ahead of time was a good idea. The only thing constant about that course is change - changing elevation, changing direction, changing gears. There's never really an opportunity to get settle into cruise control. But, at least you won't get bored, and it tends to keep the athletes from getting too clustered, so the chances of getting a drafting penalty are smaller.

Other fun facts about 434:
434 is the sum of 6 consecutive prime numbers (61+67+71+73+79+83=434!).
434 is the area code for central and south Virginia (Shout out to Lynchburg!)
In 434 AD, Atilla the Hun gained control of the Hun tribes.
Polaris, The North Star, is 434 light-years from Earth

2014-08-09 7:02 PM
in reply to: Farlig

User image

Regular
Grand Rapids, MI USA
Guys and gals - a reminder out there ...

Crashed myself today - not so much my bike - but right on my head. A little bike scrape-age, but not too bad.

Had to brake hard ... flipped right on to the front of my head. Left side.

Shoulder is jacked up ... but that will heal.

I may, or may not have began to cruise through what I thought was a 4 way stop. . Truly. You know, the slow down - look - proceed. Didn't work that time. Full STOPS for me from here on out.

On longer rides, my brain says just go and get this done with ... I guess thats what happens when tired from the ride.

I learned a lesson here, and wanted to pass along to keep the IMWI crew safe.

Best of luck, see you out there.

I think I was bib 508.

I know it is getting to be crunch time with training, but relax. I know I will.

Lucky dude here ...

I hope it saves an injury.

I made a mistake, and hope it can help others.

So you in Sept.

Yes, I was wearing a helmet.

2014-08-10 11:05 AM
in reply to: MikeinGR

User image

I did the same thing 5 weeks ago (2 weeks before my HIM), except I was on the shoulder and a truck at a stop sign on the other side of the HW decided to go anyway. I flipped over my bike, nailed my shoulder, and and hit my head pretty hard. I landed right before the cab section, so if I didn't brake, I would have been a goner. Make sure you get a new helmet! They are a one and done type of deal. Also, I had a separated shoulder from this. This is a common injury when you go over your bike It hurts but it slowly gets better. I finally decided to try to swim 10 days afterwards (4 days before my HIM :P ) and it hurt like hell but believe me, that pain is good and the next day you'll have better range of motion. Keep swimming after that point and get some light weights in if you can.

Things I learned:
Don't assume some in a truck will see you...even though I don't have a stop sign.
It at all possible, brake harder on right hand and not left to avoid being flipped.
2014-08-12 2:19 PM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eden Prairie, MN, Minnesota
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread
The Athlete Guide posted this morning. 'Bout time. I was starting to get worried.

http://tinyurl.com/keerbh3
New Thread
Iron Distance Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Show Per page

of 7

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24

Started by 1stTimeTri
Views: 45495 Posts: 593

2013-11-06 7:43 AM sbsmann

Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45

Started by bcagle25
Views: 85590 Posts: 1108

2012-09-19 11:52 AM Daffodil

Ford Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56

Started by tasr
Views: 116450 Posts: 1394

2011-10-18 8:40 AM WI_tri_guy

Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53

Started by pennylope
Views: 115839 Posts: 1314

2010-10-29 3:33 PM 1stTimeTri

Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by dhyte
Views: 91014 Posts: 1300

2009-09-20 9:58 PM steve1128
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 30, 2011
author : mikeinlaguna
comments : 6
I was in the moment, living a dream and on top of the whole world! Honestly, I wish everyone could experience that feeling because it truly cannot be described.

date : January 28, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on doing Ironman Wisconsin on a road bike and a training plan for back-to-back centuries.
date : November 16, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?

date : July 14, 2008
author : Birkierunner
comments : 2
Watch the highlights and tips of this years IMWI BT mini-camp put on by Birkierunner.
date : June 11, 2007
author : TriDDS
If you would have told me that I would want to train over ten hours a week for a race that can last up to 17 hours, I would have laughed. But somehow, my ACL injury has refocused my outlook on life.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:
date : July 5, 2005
author : dara
It makes no sense to train hard for a year to hone that aerobic system only to have all that training undermined by a few anaerobic bursts on race day. So, how do you go about it?

date : December 13, 2004
author : trilover
TriLover recently had the opportunity to interview Tim and Nicole. Read what the DeBooms had to say about triathlon, their support for each other and life.