General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2015-06-18 10:55 AM
in reply to: tbwilliams

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread
Howdy

Im not the fastest swimmer out there but i do have plenty of races under my belt to give you a couple pointers. I sight every 3-4 strokes, just to make sure im headed the right way.

The more you look the better of you are.

See you all soon!!!

2015-06-18 12:58 PM
in reply to: ingleshteechur

Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta

Taper is going well, I think.  I'm curious about how much volume people have put together for this race.  This is a training race for me as my A race is IM Louisville, KY.  Volumes are below to date from January:

swim: 153,2 km

bike: 3344.5 km

run: 667 km

Cheers,

Terry

2015-06-18 5:13 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
For what it's worth

swim: 56.8 miles (91.05km)

bike: 1484.69 (2389.37km)

run: 517.03 miles (825.64km)
2015-06-18 5:14 PM

User image

Hi

Dont really know about distance, but my weeks averaged between 15 to 20 hours a week.

this is my A race!!! so im leaving it all on the course.

good luck.
2015-06-23 4:23 PM
in reply to: DeVinci13

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by DeVinci13

I am starting my drive to CdA on Sunday morning. I will be in town by Tuesday. I am staying Tuesday to Tuesday. I am going to spend some time checking things out and doing the tourist stuff. I have been looking at the temperatures and I am not liking the mid 90's for daytime highs. We need a cold front to move through on race day.

Exciting times about to happen! If you believe the weather channel it will be upwards of 107 degrees on race day!

For the course tour Friday I borrowed a friends little SUV, it will be much more comfortable than my truck. Looking forward to the drive and meeting everyone.
2015-06-23 4:44 PM
in reply to: smithe68

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Just a heads up! This came in my email at 2:16 PST this afternoon.

Due to the current weather forecast calling for unusually high temperatures for this weekend's event, we have decided to adjust the race start time to 5:30 a.m. In addition, bike check-in on Saturday will start at 9 a.m.

Below is the new timeline for the race:

5:30 a.m. - Pro Men
5:35 a.m. - Pro Women
5:45 a.m. - Rolling Age-Group Start
8:20 a.m. - Swim cut-off
12:30 p.m. - First Bike cut-off (Any rider who has not made the start of the second lap by 12:30 p.m. will not be allowed to continue).
3:15 p.m. - Second bike cut-off (Highway 95 turn-around).
4:30 p.m. - Official bike cut-off
8:00 p.m. - Run cut-off at halfway point of run (Lakeside turn-around)
9:30 p.m. - Second run cut-off (Bennett Bay Hill)
11:00 p.m. - Race officially ends

On race day, IRONMAN and Medical Staff will be observing athletes for signs and symptoms of heat exhaustion and heat stroke. If you exhibit any of the following you will be asked to stop for a period of observation. If, after that period of observation, it is the professional opinion of the medical staff that it is unsafe for you to continue the race, you will pulled from the course and taken to the medical tent for treatment. The signs and symptoms include, but are not limited to, the following:

Altered mental status; confusion, inability to ride or run in a straight line, clumsiness, slurred speech, agitation, or seizures
Elevated body temperature
Elevated heart rate that does not decrease after periods of rest
Lack of sweating
Nausea and vomiting
Headache
As our primary concern is the safety and security of our participants, spectators, volunteers, first responders and staff, we have been, and will continue to be, in constant communication with the National Weather Center and medical personnel to make certain we have the most accurate and up-to-date information. Plans have already been made to increase medical personnel support on the course as well as to increase our on-course misting stations, fluids, sponges and ice orders. If any additional changes become necessary, they will be communicated as early as possible.

It is the recommendation of the Medical Staff that athletes take the following steps in managing the heat in order to still be successful on race day:

Stay hydrated in the days leading up to the race
Stay out of the sun and heat in the days leading up to the race
Plan on increasing your fluid and electrolyte intake during the race
Anticipate going at a slower pace on race day to prevent an unsafe increase in body temperature
Ask for assistance on race day if you experience unfamiliar symptoms

2015-06-23 9:36 PM

User image

I am in town. I went for 5 mile run along the course. It was only 81F. I can't imagine what it is going to be like on Sunday.
If you are in town on Thursday morning a group of us are meeting at City Park beach (IM swim start) at 7:15-7:30 am for swim practice.
I am heading out on Hwy 95 tomorrow for ride.
2015-06-24 11:06 AM

Master
, California

I did Western Australia a couple years ago, which was very hot - it also had a 5:30am start time.  But they always do that there.  Moving it earlier for CdA sounds like they are planning for a 70.3, just my gut feeling.

2015-06-24 3:26 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Rumour is that it will be shortened to a 70.3.
2015-06-24 5:06 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by DeVinci13

Rumour is that it will be shortened to a 70.3.

Not a rumor, it's official. June will be a 70.3 at CDA, August will be a 140.6. http://www.ironman.com/triathlon-news/articles/2015/06/coeur-dalene...
2015-06-24 7:12 PM

Master
, California
I meant this weekend.

2015-06-25 9:50 AM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by spudone

I meant this weekend.

Oh haha! Yeah, guess they are going to make that decision Saturday night. I sure hope not!
2015-06-25 11:35 AM

User image

I did a nice swim this morning in the lake. The lake temperature is perfect.

Just having a snack after the swim then heading back down to check out the village and do the athlete check-in.
2015-06-25 1:23 PM

User image

Have a great race and stay cool (as you can)!

2015-06-26 11:26 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

I checked in and picked up my gear bags. The swag bag is very nice this year. Oh, and Dimond had a tent set up. I took one out for a test ride. WOW! I hope Santa was watching.

The water temperature is perfect. I road the bike course (well, the Hwy 95 section) and it is fairly good. I few rough sections with rumble strips and drainage grates. It will be ok for the first lap of the race, but once the sun comes out from behind the hills and trees it is going to be a scorcher. I did manage to get to 69.3 km/hr on one of the downhill sections. The run is nice through the residential areas, but it will be fairly exposed further out.

Still crossing my fingers that they don't shorten the race. But, during the athlete briefing they are still planning on not shortening the race. They are going ahead as planned. But, I think the final decision will be made on Saturday night.
2015-06-27 9:38 AM

User image

I would like to give a big shout out to Stan and his crew of locals for taking a group of us out on a guided tour of the bike and run course. The information of the no passing zones, aid station locations and general advice about the climbs and descents have made me much more comfortable about the race.

That is one of the greatest things about Ironman races. You get to meet amazing local people as well as people from all over the world. Just in our little group yesterday there were 2 from Columbia, 2 from Alaska, California, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Nevada via BC and I am sure I am forgetting some.

I hope everyone has a great race tomorrow. Stay out of the heat and keep hydrated. I will see all of you at the finish line.

Dwayne

2015-06-29 11:22 AM
in reply to: #5034520

User image

Elite
How'd we do out there?! What a brutal day! I finished with 10 mins to spare! I am so grateful that I remained upright and moving--many did not. I second the thanks to Stan and my guide Mark--what a difference that made mentally to know landmarks and distances. I am so proud to have finished this race!
2015-06-29 1:23 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Congrats on getting it done! The conditions were insane and I am amazed at what everyone went through and did! For me I DNF'd in the darn swim, so frustrated as I am 1 for 3 at this race. I will continue to always be available for tours, and anything else I can help with, if I am in town during the race but I suspect I will never do this, or any other full again.
2015-06-29 4:26 PM

User image

I made it as well. I am an Ironman, for the third time. Epic day and a race I won't soon forget.
2015-06-29 5:25 PM

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID

What an epic day at IMCDA!  Those of you who finished are in a class by yourselves as Ironmen and women...never has a race been so hot.  I'm in awe of anyone who finished yesterday, in was a superhuman feat!  For those of you who didn't finish, there is no shame.  You toed the line and started which is more than 99% of the population would ever think about doing.  And given the conditions of the day, whether you made the decision to stop yourself, missed a time cut-off, or just couldn't continue at some point, you will still forever have bragging rights of attempting to do the near impossible on a day that was the hottest IM on record.  Congratulations to all of you!

For those of you I was fortunate enough to have met on the bike course tour, thank you for letting us show you a little bit of our corner of the world.  It's always a pleasure to meet great people; it's one of the highlights of my IM week every year. 

If you're interested, a few notes from the medical tent on race day.  We treated 532 of you, some just with a comfy place to sit for awhile, others with a little broth or water, even more with some anti-nausea meds, and finally, a few who needed IV's and a little more to get them up and around again.  About 8-10 athletes went to the hospital from the tent.  1710 of you started the race but about 230 DNF'd off the bike.  The overall DNF rate was about 24% which I believe may be another record for an IM race. 

Hope everyone recovers well and has safe travels to wherever home is.  Come back and visit CdA if you're so inclined, we've enjoyed having you here!

2015-07-20 8:57 PM
in reply to: Flyboy

User image

HEY guys!!!!

im back in colombia, and i just want to thank everybody in this forum for the tips and the bike course recon. Met some amazing people and enjoyed every minute of my ironman.

for anyone who is interested. i came out of the water in 55:57 second in my age group, the bike was brutal i just didnt have it in me and came off in 7th.

the run, well, i have no words to describe how bad it felt, but still managed to finish in 10:22, 7th in my age group. for me it felt like a first place.

anyways, hope to see you all in the near future.

take care and safe training.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 6

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56

Started by mallen4574
Views: 138407 Posts: 1392

2012-07-13 1:04 PM thedallasceliac

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 168 169 170 171

Started by TexasMPGal
Views: 382262 Posts: 4272

2011-12-05 11:46 AM RunRene

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53

Started by T in Liberty Lake
Views: 134315 Posts: 1313

2012-07-26 8:19 PM smithe68

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread

Started by Lance 140.6
Views: 3631 Posts: 10

2010-04-08 10:16 PM hoopmaj

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 61075 Posts: 579

2009-06-24 2:09 PM ironlib
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 17, 2007
author : IRONVIKING
comments : 0
Athletes were buzzing around, adding last minute things to their transition bags. The sidewalks and grassy areas are filled with spectators and cameras. Announcements were being made.

date : July 10, 2007
Eating To Win, Eating To Live. A collection of heart-healthy recipes that fuels Ironman training. Also some pre-race thoughts before Ironman Coeur d’Alene.
date : May 11, 2007
When it comes down to it, it’s me who has to believe I can run a full marathon after swimming and biking, and no amount of others’ belief in me is going to help.

date : April 12, 2007
The first month of training is in the books. I am learning several tips that could help you along the way on your Ironman quest.
date : April 12, 2007
How BT is preparing me for the Coeur d'Alene IronMan.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:
date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
Ironman Couer d'Alene 2003 - Inspirational first ironman triathlon devoted to his wife battling cancer.