General Discussion Triathlon Talk » If I'm not sore, does it mean I'm not working hard enough? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-06-17 7:41 PM

User image

Subject: If I'm not sore, does it mean I'm not working hard enough?
I'm just usually not sore! I was sore all the time back in January when I first started working out, but I only occasionally feel mild soreness. I feel like I put full effort into my workouts, but maybe I need to do more??? Enlighten me!

2008-06-17 7:56 PM
in reply to: #1472967

User image

Master
Houston, TX
Subject: RE: If I'm not sore, does it mean I'm not working hard enough?
I don't get sore much anymore.. more of just a general tired body..
2008-06-17 8:12 PM

Your muscles adapt to the stress of training and usually after a period of time you no longer feel sore. If you were to start doing another sport that uses different muscles or uses the same muscles you already have conditioned in a different way, you would feel initial soreness again, but it would soon disipate after your muscles adapt.
2008-06-17 8:14 PM

User image

Nampa, Idaho
They used to say "no pain, no gain" but you don't want to be in pain. I hate it when I work to the point that I"m terribly sore. It takes the fun out of it. You know when you're pushing yourself and when you're not.
2008-06-18 12:49 AM

Melbourne, Australia
Using cycling as an example, this is where a power meter is your best friend. Since power calculations gives you a scientific number which is repeatable you can gauge a metric called TSS - Training Stress Score. TSS is a number which is based on your FTP - Functional Threshold Power (this is your maximum power output for 60 minutes).

TSS numbers then add up as you perform more training without rest and give a number called CTL - Cumulative Training Load. This can be used as a predictor as to when you need to rest to improve (recovery) and even how long this rest needs to be.

Now it could be possible to do the same thing with running and swimming, but i've never heard of it being specified so scientifically. This is where a good coach that knows the disciplines and how to benchmark your capability; is worth their weight in gold.

If you can train to your body output, scientifically and methodically; you remove the emotion or the sore/not sore components out of your response. And thus you improve faster with better prediction of results.
2008-06-18 2:51 AM

User image

Master
Perth, Australia

I am pretty much in a constant state of soreness these days, but I am also following a half marathon training program for my first such race in September, hence running longer/faster/up more hills than I ever have before. Not to mention the weights & core work

I find I generally will get sore if I increase my work outs, but its not unbearable soreness like what I used to get when I was unfit. Its just a constant mild discomfort in the background now

2008-06-18 6:33 AM

User image

Expert
White House, TN

For running, soreness is usually associated with lactic acid.  That is, left over lactic acid in muscles following a work out makes them sore.

With a heart-rate monitor, one can a pretty accurately guess as to where one's "lactic threshold" (LT) is in regards to running.  This threshold is the number of beats per minute where your body is producing more lactic acid than it can remove.  Over the past few months your body's ability to remove lactic acid has improved and, therefore, you don't feel sore as often.

The only time you should worry about pushing to a point where you feel sore is when your training calls for it.  I'm also training for a half-mary and I only have maybe one or two LT runs per month until I get closer to the race.  When a program calls for a "hard" run, that's when you should push to the point of soreness.

Edited by Hawkeye 2008-06-18 6:35 AM
2008-06-18 8:38 AM

User image

Master
With a decent fitness base and HR training, I usually only get sore from racing, a time trial, hill repeats, or other such all out efforts.
2008-06-18 8:47 AM

Champion
South Jersey

Over the past two years, the only time I am ever really sore is after a race (even through HIM training). I am in IM training now and do have some soreness, but I only ever notice it when I run. A lot of that has to do with the fact I was injured this year and didn't run for a long time, so these long runs are just a little too much stress for the legs and recovery takes a while. So, nope, don't worry about the lack of soreness.

2008-06-18 9:15 AM
in reply to: #1473374

User image

Hawkeye - 2008-06-18 7:33 AM

For running, soreness is usually associated with lactic acid.  That is, left over lactic acid in muscles following a work out makes them sore.

I don't believe this is correct. Soreness is a result of micro muscle tears. Lactic acid is built up when you go anerobic. They really have nothing to do with each other. It is my understanding that lactic acid is gone completely within 30 min of a hard workout.

For example, you could get sore from doing a longer run than you're accustomed, and your pace never coming close to approaching your LT pace. Soreness is generally just an indication of lack of adaptation to a particular type of workout. I can see why people associate it with speed and lactic acid since it is common for people to not be adapted to running at those paces.

Think back to a run when you were completely unfit for running, but maybe had some aerobic capcity from biking. A slow 2-3 mile run will make you sore for a few days, before you're adapted.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » If I'm not sore, does it mean I'm not working hard enough? Rss Feed