General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A couple swim questions I haven't seen Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-14 11:02 AM

User image

Regular
Richmond
Subject: A couple swim questions I haven't seen
O.K. I am new to this, my first tri (sprint with pool swim) is 10/11 and I have been training for 11 weeks. I really enjoy the challenge of the training and am sure I will enjoy my first race as I should be well prepared and a solid MOPer, which is great with me.  After 11 weeks I am finally getting comfortable with the swim, so this morning in the pool while I am doing laps I am thinking next year I want to do an oly which will have an open water swim, so maybe I should start working sighting into my stroke. Any thoughts on that. Do you practice sighting in the pool to make it part of your regular stroke? Then I think I sure do get a lot of pool water in my mouth (breathe out through mouth and on breath) and probable consume some of it. Which is fine with pool water, but what about salt water, I cannot imagine that is good. I would probably get less  water in my mouth if I breathed out through my nose but it is not as natural for me to do that. Any thoughts?

2009-08-14 11:08 AM
in reply to: #2348590

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: A couple swim questions I haven't seen
It never hurts to practice sighting in the pool but it's never going to be the same as out in open water.  There are too many things in a pool to guide you - lane lines, the line on the bottom of the pool, walls etc. 

As for salt water in the mouth, I was out at 7am in a harbor this morning and I can still taste salt water/seaweed/hint of diesel fuel in my mouth.  You get used to it....
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A couple swim questions I haven't seen Rss Feed