Dynamo Masters
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 08m 24s
Overall Rank = 16/73
Age Group = M 20 - 24
Age Group Rank = 1/1
Pre-race routine:

Ate some cereal at home and a Powerbar upon arriving at the race site just over an hour before the start. Checked in, got body marked and stretched out the shoulders and arms.
Event warmup:

Went on a very brief jog to get the heartrate up before getting into the water. Warm up in the lake consisted of a short swim out to the starting buoy.
Swim
  • 1h 08m 24s
  • 5000 meters
  • 01m 13s / 100 meters
Comments:

I got off to a good start, keeping up with the lead pack to the first buoy. I was in a very steady rhythm, not working very hard and catching a pretty good draft off the race leaders. After the first buoy (approx. 500 meters), two of the leaders started taking off and I dropped into the main group, where I stayed until the second buoy (1.25 K into the race). At this point, I started developing a painful side stitch and I flipped over onto my back to help stretch it out. The main group dropped me rather quickly and when I was on my back, there was no one in sight behind me. After stretching my side out for a couple of dozens strokes, I flipped back onto my stomach and tried to play catch up, but it just wasn't happening.

The lake was becoming very choppy, creating almost 2 foot swells at times which made it difficult to keep a steady rhythm and even more difficult to sight the buoys up ahead. At the turnaround point, I was able to see that I was about 20 seconds behind the next person in front of me and there was almost a minute to the person behind me. So, I continued fighting through the choppy water back through the zig-zagged course.

After rounding the last buoy, I started increasing the tempo of my stroke, but quickly realized I was shortening each stroke, so I went back to a slower tempo, just thinking to myself that the race is almost over and there's no reason to try and sprint all the way into the beach. I really didn't sprint into the finish or run up the beach across the finish line since I wasn't fighting for a top place or anything, but it was still a solid swim and much faster than I thought I could have done.
What would you do differently?:

Not too much really. I entered this race just as an experience building exercise. My longest open water swim was 1 mile before this, so I wanted to feel what it was like to pace myself over a longer distance. I could have gone further, but it was definitely long enough for me.
Post race
Warm down:

I spent about 10 minutes slowly swimming free and back in the beach area of the lake trying to flush out some of the lactic acid I felt burning in my chest, shoulders, and back. Afterwards, I stretched out on hte shore and waited for my friends to come in.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of endurance. I know that I'm still building my base back up and therefore I had to pace myself at a slower speed than I would ideally like to hold. With steady training and base building in the off-season, I should be able to tackle this distance at a greater overall pace next year.

Last updated: 2005-06-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:08:24 | 5000 meters | 01m 13s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/1
Overall: 0/73
Performance: Good
Suit: Jammers
Course: A "Z" shaped out-and-back course running along the shoreline in and out of two smaller inlets. The last straightaway on the Z was the longest, consisting of approximately 1.25 Km.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2005-06-20 7:06 AM

Regular
Atlanta, GA
Subject: Lake Lanier 5K Swim

2005-06-20 7:29 AM
in reply to: #178456

Elite Veteran
Subject: RE: Lake Lanier 5K Swim
Wow, you are one fast swimmer! I can't believe you weren't in the front pack with your swim time. Congrats.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Lanier 5K Swim Rss Feed