General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Who makes the best running Shoes? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

Who makes the best running Shoes?
OptionResults
Nike2 Votes - [9.09%]
Adidas2 Votes - [9.09%]
Reebok1 Votes - [4.55%]
Asics17 Votes - [77.27%]

2004-06-18 4:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Belize
Subject: Who makes the best running Shoes?
I am not a runner so I have no clue which is best but as my running distance is sure to increase I think I need to make sure I get the right shoes. I am currently running with a pair of Adidas but they are old and they fit too exact. I need a new pair but I'm not sure where to start. I am only familiar with the more popular brands... Nike, Adidas, Reebok and I just recently learned about Asics. Nike has some nice looking designs but are they as good as the others? I don't want to spend more than $100. What do you recommend?

Edited by David_Zen 2004-06-18 4:29 PM

2004-06-18 4:29 PM
in reply to: #32313

User image

New Hampshire
Subject: RE: ---
I recommend that you go to a decent running shop where you will get someone to help you select a pair that’s right for you. That’s what IO did and I ended up with a pair that I would never have picked by myself yet they feel great. Its one area that you can’t mess with and will be critical to you.

You might also want to take an old pair of running shoes with you so that they can see how you run and how its affected your shoes.

Find someone you trust – not a chain store.
2004-06-18 4:37 PM

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: RE: Who makes the best running Shoes?
I've been running with Asics since I was 16. I find them exceptionally comfortable and there longevity is another asset. They certainly work for me... but I think the most important thing is to try on as many pairs of shoes as you can. Every make/model is gonna be different so you should find something that feels good for you. So Although Asics works best for me.... You're best to find what "shoe fits" (pardon the weak pun). Good luck... oh yeah... you really shouldn't have to spend more than 100 bucks to get a decent pair of running shoes that fits you well.

Mike
2004-06-18 4:38 PM
in reply to: #32317

User image

Veteran
Belize
I didn't even know they had such a thing as a running shop. See, we don't have those here in Belize but next week I'll be in Houston and I will go looking for one there. Thanks.
2004-06-18 4:46 PM

User image

New Hampshire
Great idea – once you are fitted ask for loads of advice and find the 4 or 5 best shoes for you. After that you’ll be able to buy the ones that work for you!

Good look in the great shoe hunt!
2004-06-18 5:34 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2004-06-18 5:41 PM

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

I'm a huge Asics fan.  I've been running in them for about 15 years!  I've found, for myself, that Adidas are too loose on the heel, and Nike's are just ok.  That said, it is truly a personal thing!  Try on several different pairs when you're in Houston - and see what you think!

I also like Mizuno.

2004-06-18 5:58 PM

Elite
Reno
Saucony

My physical therapist says they make the best women's running shoe and they had a good selection of shoes for the over - pronator.

I also like Ryka, who make shoes for women only.

Now that I read your post again, this "best shoes for women" advice is not really going to help you......

Try them all on and run around in them - remember you run differently than you walk.

Edited by bootygirl 2004-06-18 6:01 PM
2004-06-18 6:17 PM

Elite Veteran
Roscoe, IL.
my last 4 pair of running and cross training shoes have been NEW BALANCE. I have not been disappointed. It would take alot to get me into anything else.
2004-06-18 7:00 PM

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
Brooks. Brooks. BROOKS!!!! At least for us bigger guys, no other shoe company comes close to the Brooks Beast. I've been running in it for at least 6 or 7 years and haven't found a shoe equal to it yet.
That said, I'll back what others have mentioned: go to a reputable shoe store and find what works best for you. Most really good stores will have at least one physical therapist on staff, or someone else who understands running mechanics, and they'll video tape your leg and foot motion while you're running on a treadmill. After that they can recommend shoe types depending on your foot and leg motion while you run.
One last opinion: If you're a larger than average runner or you pronate much at all, do not buy a Nike shoe. They make good shoes for biomechanically sound runners but definitely not for the rest of us imho. Good luck with your search.
2004-06-18 8:58 PM

Extreme Veteran
I totally love my Asics Kayanos....and I really like the new 2090s as well.

2004-06-18 10:14 PM

Master
Kingston Ontario

I just discovered that Asics are good for my narrow feet after years of New Balance shoes that weren't quite perfect.  I have gone through many different brands over the years, and my Gel Kayanos have me running better than ever

Jen

2004-06-18 11:14 PM

Expert
Lafayette, CO
I have a pair of Saucony and a pair of New Balance 475s. The Saucony's are a good shoe, fit my feet fairly well (flat, size 13 feet) and very lightweight. My NB's are slightly heavier, fit great, and are awesome off pavement. I'll be running in them Saturday for my 5k race (1/2 trails, muddy). My heels tend to hit flat when running, so these two are good for me. Before you try any shoes on, have someone check your pronation, and look for something that will help. Then go for the fit. If you can match pronation and fit, you shouldn't have to worry about any potential running pain. Remember that running shoes will probably only support 350-500 miles before you need to replace them!
2004-06-18 11:42 PM
in reply to: #32322

New user

Houston
David - If you're going to be in Houston, I can recommend two places. For general running shoes, try Luke's Locker (1961 West Gray) - they're fantastic. They'll measure your feet, ask you about your running habits and any injuries you've had and make suggestions that will suit you best. I can finally enjoy running after finding a pair of New Balance running shoes there that don't give me shin splints like EVERY other pair of shoes I've ever owned! My other suggestion, if you're interested in New Balance, is the New Balance store (1716 Post Oak Blvd.). I haven't been yet, but several of my friends have had success there. Good luck!
2004-06-19 1:09 AM

I second New Balance. I began running in Brooks and also liked those (still wear them to work) but found they did not fit my arch correctly.
2004-06-19 1:57 AM

Veteran
Singapore
Why only Nike, Reebok and adidas and Asics only??Is this another advertisenment for them is it?
Nike, Reebok and adidas spent millions on TV advertisements and multimillion dollar sportsman endorsements.
What about new balance and brooks which also makes great running shoes and cheaper than some other brands....Asics kayano is great too. Other brands like saucony, puma etc others is not on the list as well.
Whatever brand you buy the most important is the type of feet that goes with the type of shoes and the most important of them all is the engine that goes with it(YOU the runner is the engine)

2004-06-19 8:12 AM

Elite Veteran
Smyrna, Georgia
Here is a list of running stores in Houston. I found it on www.runningnetwork.com/stores/texas.html

Fleet Feet Sports www.fleetfeethouston.com/
2408 Rice Blvd.
Houston, TX 77005
713-520-6353

Fleet Feet Sports www.fleetfeethouston.com/
6586 Woodway
Houston, TX 77057
713-465-0033

Luke's
1953 W. Gray Blvd.
Houston, TX 77019
713-529-0786

On the Run, Inc.
www.ontheruntx.com
2427 Bay Area Blvd.,
Houston TX 77058
281-480-5388

Run Wild
www.runwildsports.com/
1131-18 Uptown Park Blvd.
Houston, TX 77056
713-622-9453

RunSport
www.runsport.com/
2137 Richmond
Houston, TX 77098
713-524-6662

When you visit one of these stores, they should put you in a pair of neutral shoes (shoes that don't have padding but don't control your foot movement) and have you run for them while they analyze your gait. Then they'll bring out shoes that are appropriate for you based on your pronation, weight, running surfaces and amount of running. Based on the manufacturer's sizing, the shoes will be anywhere from .5 to 1 size larger than your normal size so that you have plenty of room for your toes.

I think it's hard to try to pick shoes based on brand until you've been fitted initially. I've found that Nike shoes tend to run too narrow for me. Also, the tip of New Balance shoes seems to be designed for people with middle toes longer than the toes on either side -- like an upside down U. I didn't like that because it felt like I had excess shoe on the upper outsides of my shoes. I now run in Asics 2090s and like them pretty well.

After they fit you with shoes, they'll have you run around to try them out. They should let you take them back to your hotel for a short spin on a treadmill. They may make you pay for them upfront, but should let you bring them back for a refund if they've been gently used on a treadmill. That way, you get to try them out for a bit longer. I found that 20 min of running showed me whether or not the shoes would work for me.

I probably ended up paying a little more for the shoes where I was fitted than if I'd bought them off the internet, but I felt the service was well worth it.

Good luck!
2004-06-19 11:19 AM

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
My favourite running shoes were Brooks Axioms, which I bought in 1984 and still had on hand as walking shoes until 2003. These shoes fit me like they were custom made for me but unfortunately, they are no longer available....AND, at 50$ were the cheapest pair I ever bought. I did try the Brooks Beasts for a week but they did not fit me well at all. These days, the only shoes that fit me well are ASICS.
2004-06-19 8:50 PM
in reply to: #32456

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
I like ASIC's but they may have been replaced with the Reebok Premier Lite's. I have problems finding shoes that fit my feet so I am starting to use the rthotics that I had made a few months ago.

I currently have the following stable of shoes(I have foot issues ) :

Asic Kayanos X - Very stable shoe but I can't do my long runs in them. They seem too heavy and my forefoot and knees begin to hurt.

Asics 2080 - Nice combo of cushioning and support and good heel to toe transition, one of my favorites but they are wearing down.

Asics 2090 - These don't fit my foot very well and they are going back to the store tomorrow.

Saucony Grid Web - decent shoe but could use some more cushioning (worn out and are lawn shoes)

Mizuno Wave Rider 7 - Very nice shoe, well cushioned and light. I use these for tempo runs and speedwork.

Reebok Premier Lite - I have only done a couple of runs in these but so far they are nearly perfect. They are light, stable and have just the right cushioning. As an added bonus, they have alot of room in them so Orthotics fit like a dream.

I have tried nearly every shoe on the planet at one time or another. When you go to a store, try on as many pairs as you can and find the pair for you...

Edited by JayC 2004-06-19 8:51 PM
2004-06-20 2:17 AM

Pardon if this response repeats information but I don't have time to read the rest of the responses. Shoe preference is very athlete specific. It can be hard to find the perfect pair for you and what will work perfect for someone else may be the worst thing possible for you. Give yourself 2-3 hours and find a shop that others have had good experiences at. A good reference for a running shoe store is 100 times more important than a reference for a specific brand and model of shoe.

Once you go to the shop try on every shoe they recomend. Don't let anyone rush you. There are a few things to keep in mind that the average employee at a running shoe store may not consider because you're a triathlete. Make sure that the shoes are easy to get in and out of. Think about what kind of lace system you will use to keep transitions speedy and be thinking about that when it comes to how the shoe is built. Also consider how the shoe will work if you run in it without socks. One key to lightning fast transitions in to skip the sock. And if skipping the sox means blisters everywhere...you may want to consider a different pair.

Good luck. I have had one hell of a time finding the right shoes for me, and when I did I tried several others because I didn't want to spend $129. But in the end it was worth every penny to have what worked best.
2004-06-20 8:14 AM

Veteran
Belize
Thanks for all your replies. I really had no idea that there was so much involved in buying running shoes and I would have never guessed that Nike, Adidas, and Reebok were so unpopular among runners. I suppose the new line of Nike Shox running shoes is all about marketing hype, is it? Well, now that I know all this I'm definitely going to visit one of the stores recommended above.

2004-06-20 9:41 AM
in reply to: #32558

Veteran
Singapore
"I suppose the new line of Nike Shox running shoes is all about marketing hype" well not exactly it is another good cushioning shoe from Nike that is for medium to high arch type of feet with neutral biomechanics.(it’s not a shoe for severe overpronators)
2004-06-20 11:06 AM

Expert
Palm Coast, FL
Saucony!
2004-06-20 11:52 AM

Master
New Jersey
Totally comes down to one's personal preferences. But for me, it's Saucony.

Tried a few others and just haven't had any that fit as well.
2004-06-21 8:55 AM

New user

God Forsaken Long Island
The best running shoes are the ones that fit *YOU* the best. My wife wears Adidas, even though most runners swear that Adidas aren't very good shoes. They fit her feet better than anything else.

If you can't get to a good running shop, go to the runners world website http://www.runnersworld.com/. They have an interactive tool called the "ShoeFinder" which will help you find a good shoe for you.

Even if you go to a good shop, it wouldn't be a bad idea to read everything available from the ShoeFinder, and also get a feel for the prices of the shoes that will likely fit you. Our local running shop prices are just short of highway robbery. My wife got the shoes she wanted plus a second pair of Nikes free that she uses in bad weather form an online retailer for about 30% less than the price of just the one pair at our local running shop.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Who makes the best running Shoes? Rss Feed  

of 2