General Discussion Triathlon Talk » critique my swim form (video!) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-04-02 7:54 AM

User image

Master
White Plains NY
Subject: critique my swim form (video!)
The underwater swim video of me was posted on youtube.com. Can someone give me some feedback? My form is all over the place and needs LOTS of help. There are about 10 of us on the video, but I am the 3rd one to go and I have a bright yellow cap. I am between the timecodes 1:17 and 1:47.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv86uvy3mqs

Thanks!.....and could you tell me how to fix the flaws with drill and form suggestions?

2009-04-02 8:18 AM
in reply to: #2056661

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: critique my swim form (video!)

vrljc - 2009-04-02 8:54 AM The underwater swim video of me was posted on youtube.com. Can someone give me some feedback? My form is all over the place and needs LOTS of help. There are about 10 of us on the video, but I am the 3rd one to go and I have a bright yellow cap. I am between the timecodes 1:17 and 1:47. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv86uvy3mqsThanks!.....and could you tell me how to fix the flaws with drill and form suggestions?

Quite honestly in your case your time is going to be much better spent with someone one on one.  Show them this tape and let them work with you in that capacity.  There is simply a lot going on here and it's only one vantage point.  I would like to see what's going on from on top of the water as well. 

My first approach here would be to not try and "fix" wht you are doing wrong.  I would simply try and re-teach you the correct way.  Break the stroke down to it's absolute minimum and start from there.

Any questions let me know.

Good luck!

-Mike

2009-04-02 9:40 AM

User image

Master
Breckenridge, CO
I'm not a swim coach but I am a FOP swimmer...

Biggest flaw first.

After your breath, instead of just rotating your head along the axis of your spine back to an eyes down (or slightly forward position), you actually dive your head down by bending towards the bottom at your neck. Then, your right arm stroke is really funky. Your hand dives down deep towards the bottom immediately upon entry, which puts the brakes any momentum you had going. These two actions are why I think you're so deep in the water as you describe in another post. I believe that you're thinking "high elbow pull" and that's why your arm is acting that way. But it's way too early. That right hand/arm needs to cut through the water like a spear to full extension just a couple/few inches below the water line before you start the catch. (You do a much better job of this with your left arm).

Then you do a little weird thing with your hand where you rotate it thumb out, then back into position as you start your pull which you should just stop doing. Your pull actually doesn't look too bad to me and any problem with it is relatively minor at this point.

Your left arm stroke is much better and I would't worry about it one bit until you resolve the above which when you do should improve you drastically. But when looking at your left arm, rather that it slicing through the water like a spear, you're laying it on the surface of the water starting at your armpit. That slows you down and is probably due to you being deep in the water and not leading with your elbow out of the water on the recovery. You should enter the water finger tips first and all of your arm should follow in the hydrodynamic shadow of your hand. It's hard to tell from the video but at the very end of it, it appears you may have a little crossover with your left arm, again minor compared to the above.

Your kick is pretty wild which is probably just you trying to correct your main faults above. If your arm strokes are sound and your body position is parallel to the surface, you shouldn't "need" to kick at all. Your legs should just drag behind you. Of course you want to kick some for propulsion, but never to keep your feet up or correct balance issues due to other flaws in your stroke. I think swimming with that loop thing that keeps your legs/feet closer together would be good for you. It would force you to correct your main stroke flaws.

My $0.02. Again, not a swim coach.

Edited by breckview 2009-04-02 9:50 AM
2009-04-02 10:12 AM

I am not a swim coach, but I can point out a few obvious things I see and a few general rules you may want to think of while swimming

First your right arm stroke goes very deep, causing your body to over rotate. To try to prevent this, do one arm drills. keep your left arm extended in front of you, then just swim with your right arm. When extending your right arm forward, try to keep it much closer to the surface.

Second, you have a lot of head movement, probably due to your strokes. I don't know if by trying to keep your head still, if you're strokes will improve, but you could try. A drill I can think of to help you get the feeling of keeping your head still would actually be a kick drill. Hold a kick board at the bottom, so you can put your head between your arms. Then kick and rotate your head to each side every 3-5 seconds to breathe.  When your head is in the water, it should not be completely submersed, try to keep the water level around where your cap hits your forehead.

I would suggest getting a coach/trainer to actually teach you better stroke technique. All the best!

2009-04-02 11:16 AM
in reply to: #2056731

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
gadzinm - 2009-04-02 6:18 AM

vrljc - 2009-04-02 8:54 AM The underwater swim video of me was posted on youtube.com. Can someone give me some feedback? My form is all over the place and needs LOTS of help. There are about 10 of us on the video, but I am the 3rd one to go and I have a bright yellow cap. I am between the timecodes 1:17 and 1:47. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv86uvy3mqsThanks!.....and could you tell me how to fix the flaws with drill and form suggestions?

Quite honestly in your case your time is going to be much better spent with someone one on one. Show them this tape and let them work with you in that capacity. There is simply a lot going on here and it's only one vantage point. I would like to see what's going on from on top of the water as well.

My first approach here would be to not try and "fix" wht you are doing wrong. I would simply try and re-teach you the correct way. Break the stroke down to it's absolute minimum and start from there.

Any questions let me know.

Good luck!

-Mike

x2.

I'd like to see your kick as well, but you are bobbing your head, your right hand dives, you pull with fingers spread, there is excessive body roll, I don't (personally) like the long pause, your left arm your hand is outside your shoulder on the pull...

But, I've seen worse.

John 

2009-04-02 12:16 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

It's really slow.  J/k

Pretty cool.

~Mike

2009-04-02 8:36 PM

User image

Regular
memphis
i think you are emphasising your trunk and hip rotation too much, gradually twist forward instaed of turning everything at once. Try some swim drills with fins and FEEL the difference when you rotate and twist.Also your head looks too far under the water right after the catch i think because you are going too deep when your hand enters the water instead of your hand entering and turning down to grab the water. My two cents, i did this video post a while back and now i am a completely different swimmer, good idea!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » critique my swim form (video!) Rss Feed