General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Intensity... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2008-03-16 6:08 PM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Subject: Bike Intensity...
Let me begin by saying this is directed at M training and is not based on any scientific study, it's purely anecdotal and based on personal observations. I am interested in having a conversation about this topic to learn more and understand everyone is different.

Now that I have been haunting a lot of log's, there is a commonality I want to discuss. It seems when training for long course, many athletes tend to ride in very low HR zones. Sometimes it seems that long rides are almost an excuse to live in Zone's 1-2, sitting up on their bullhorns enjoying the scenery. Most also include good interval work where the pace is pushed, which is great. It's just there is a lot of "recover" and "easy" riding going on and I think it is a missed opportunity.

The bike provides us long coursers an ideal training tool for practicing our race effort, be that power or HR. Once I determined that my IM race HR for the bike and run would be 138-148, I trained, with the exception of interval or speed work, exclusively in that zone. Short rides, long rides, 100+ mile rides, I worked that zone without fail. It sucked sometimes, it required a lot of effort to not give up on it. I would often come home from a long ride and be completely shelled and would think it would be impossible to run a marathon after the ride. what I forgot often was that I had run 15-20 miles the day before, I was suffering from the cumulative fatigue of constant training, and would have a proper taper prior to my races.

Aerobic rides are NOT slow rides. They are rides where you should be nailing the pace you plan on riding at your IM race. I'm sorry but if you are riding 100+ miles at less than 20 mph, don't expect to show up at your race and bang out a 5 hour bike split. Yet, some of you are out there and denial is not a river in Egypt.

2008-03-16 8:14 PM
in reply to: #1274903

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Bike Intensity...

Ride hard or go home .... always been my philosophy as well ....

If I have a training ride below 20 (even on a hilly route) I tend to get very cranky.  Yesterday was the exception because it was only my second ride outdoors and I was a little pooped going into it.

There is something to be said for putting in the longer slower rides in the saddle, but as the training wears on these should be fewer and farther between.  After all, the pro cycling camps at the beginning of the season are 16 - 18 mph rides for 6 - 7 hours a day ...... day after day after day ....... But working triathletes don't have the luxury of riding 130 miles a day 5 or 6 days in a row for 2 weeks to get that killer base.  So we have to make the most of the time allotted.

2008-03-16 9:24 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

Hey Brian.  Just to keep this thread going, I'll play devil's advocate.  I'd like to think I'm an above average cyclist with a 2:32 HIM bike split under my belt.   Living in CO affords me the opportunity to ride any type of terrain an IM will throw at me.  So most of my rides will have hills, false flats, mountain climbs, long flat sections and fun downhills.   Needless to say, I get my fair share of intense work in every ride, and when I say intense, I am talking about HR 20-25 beats above where I would like to average for my IM.   And I don't shy away from ball busting rides, as I love pushing myself on the bike.  So my thinking is, as my mileage goes up, so will the time I'm spending at or above my target for CDA.  I plan on 3-4 overdistance rides.  My expectations in my IM is to keep my bike HR in the high 130s to very low 140s, then hold upper z2 (150ish) for as long as possible on the run. 

Is the bike that less demanding on the body that you can have every workout at race pace and intensity vs. the run where that wouldn't be recommended?  Especially when you are putting in 15+ hours a week of swimming and running too???  I think I know the answer, but I'll let the experts chime in........ 

I think this thread was started after looking at my logs.

2008-03-16 9:28 PM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
LOL! No it wasn't just you. And when I say race pace I am talking about IM race pace. That should be an aerobic pace, and effort you can hold for the entire event. Half's are different, AT and LT threshold intervals are different. This is all the aerobic training I am discussing. It's not go hard or go home, it's work the HR or power zone you have targeted for your IM race, once you get to that point, and live in ti.
2008-03-16 9:55 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
I thought in an IM you want to be in zone 2.

Isn't 138 - 148 in z2?
2008-03-17 6:29 AM
in reply to: #1275225

Champion
South Jersey

Edited by LaurenSU02 2008-03-17 6:29 AM

2008-03-17 6:29 AM
in reply to: #1275225

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
chirunner134 - 2008-03-17 8:55 AM

Isn't 138 - 148 in z2?

Zones are different for each individual.

Bryan, just a few questions for you:

- For someone who has not done an IM and therefore doesn't have that HR range, how would they guestimate the appropriate HR at which to train? I know about where my aerobic threshold is, but I'm not sure if what you were talking about is the same thing.

- When you said you kept all your non-speed work training rides in that HR range, does that include your recovery rides? Following a hill workout or interval training did you just follow with a recovery run or something else?

I'm stuck on just a trainer for the next year, so I'll be doing all my training by HR. Just curious to see what you have to say. Thanks.

2008-03-17 7:49 AM
in reply to: #1275382

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
OrbeaMan - 2008-03-17 6:29 AM

chirunner134 - 2008-03-17 8:55 AM

Isn't 138 - 148 in z2?

Zones are different for each individual.

Bryan, just a few questions for you:

- For someone who has not done an IM and therefore doesn't have that HR range, how would they guestimate the appropriate HR at which to train? I know about where my aerobic threshold is, but I'm not sure if what you were talking about is the same thing.

- When you said you kept all your non-speed work training rides in that HR range, does that include your recovery rides? Following a hill workout or interval training did you just follow with a recovery run or something else?

I'm stuck on just a trainer for the next year, so I'll be doing all my training by HR. Just curious to see what you have to say. Thanks.

HR, power, PE, is going to be very subjective as you point out. There is no "right" zone, there is only the intensity that an individual can manage for the duration of the race.

My comment was inspired by log's where the atlete has already established that for themselves. This is NOT a recomendation for a beginner, I am soley refering to IM athletes well into their training AND those who train with specific intensity protocols. In my case, more intensive bike sessions were relatively in frequent compared to long aerobic sessions. If I did hill repeats one afternoon, I would be running the next day in all likelyhood and I would be doing so right back in that same aerobic zone. Again, that aerobic zone for me was a comfortable zone as I had conditioned so much in it.

Again, I am suggesting not that folks need to go out ride till they blow up, I'm not talking about the high end, I am talking about the very low end. And not to be confused with a recovery ride, that's fine. It's more the long rides, the 100 mile rides which I think are sometimes done at too low an effort, let's say a Zone 1- low Zone 2. Instead, how about spending more time in a high Zone 2 to low Zone 3, picking up the pace just a little over that duration can really stimulate a lot of fitness gain.
2008-03-17 8:14 AM

User image

Expert
Zürich, Switzerland
I fully agree with you but you should have the same consideration on your long runs vs. marathon pace. Then we agree on all.
Another point is: you don't know if those guys riding in zone 1-2 are going to make IM cycle leg at the same pace. As you mentioned, they will not expect to be on 5 hrs but they are going to expect 7 hrs maybe.

For long time I always tried to say the same for long runs but people tend to do the same, hoping to be at 3hrs final time for marathons doing long runs at 4hrs marathon pace. It is not impossible to achieve but though. You should inlcude some mid-long runs at marathon pace.

Coming back to the bike, I am quite new to it and at the moment I am to win the mental fight to stay seat on it for 3-4 hours which suck most of my energy (mental). I can not spend more energy on pushing hard in zone 2 too much but I will certainly do it. I am starting including some 20-30 minutes at 140bpm, mostly on hills but after 2hrs mark, it starts to be very though to push.
There is still some time for my first IM and let's talk about it in 2 or 3 months.
It is a very interesting topic.
2008-03-17 8:36 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

First things first, unless you are doing all out intervals up to 2:30 min (+/-) in duration ALL of our training intensities will be done at AEROBIC pace even when doing intervals at our lactate threshold. We should try to use the proper terminology so we can all understand what are talking about and have better discussions. Also we should avoid using confusing and/or coined terms such as AeT, AT etc.

That been said I agree with Bryan. Many athletes training for IM/HIM don’t train enough and/or don’t train at the proper intensities. The main reason for this IMO is the misunderstanding about the so called “base training” and the idea that by slowing down we’ll get fitter and faster which is just half of the story. In order for that to work you have to slow down AND you have to do a lot more of what you currently do, hence in the end the total training load will be greater than original. Rick made the point with pro cyclists: they follow the volume approach cuz they can ride A LOT of miles. I posted the following on another thread:

Briefly let me remind you that training load = volume (duration + frequency) + intensity and the general relation between both sides of the equation is that when one increases the other one decreases. (Except during peak training or specific sessions)

The reason why increasing your training load via volume works is because it allows you to do MORE total training, IOW by reducing your intensity you should be able to log more training time with less recovery time in between. The bigger total load will place more strain in your body and the sum of the work at the end of a training cycle will allow you to adapt and increase your fitter level = be able to go faster, longer or both.

However if you reduce your training intensity to focus on the so called ‘base training’ you have to increase your total volume, otherwise you will be just training less at lower intensities without accomplishing much training adaptations. i.e. if you usually do 5x runs avg 30 Miles per week including some easy and some hard runs and then you switch your focus to do ‘base training’ you should cut some of the intensity out in order to do more runs, maybe 7x a week or the same number but longer duration/distance hence in the end you are now avg let’s say 50 or more miles per week.
You can also read the post I did about ‘
base training’

The success of any training program lays on pushing the athlete at the appropriate training load through the annual training plan and move from general to specific training.  Let’s assume an athlete follow 5 training zones:
·          Zone 1 – Recovery/unload
·          Zone 2 – Endurance
·          Zone 3 – Tempo
·          Zone 4 – Lactate Threshold
·          Zone 5 – VO2 Max

IM specific training (rides 4+ hrs) should be performed at zone 2 and preferably done at the upper level of this range. When the schedule calls for a shorter session 2-3 hrs then the intensity should be a bit higher between Z2 and Z3, shorter than 2 hrs Z3 and shorter than 1 hr Z4. This is oversimplified but the idea is that the shorter you ride the harder you go (except for recovery sessions) and this will be a better bang for your training time. Following this the total training load (total strain on your body) should be equivalent. For those training with a power meter and using A Coggan training stress score (TSS) this is rather simple to follow.

2008-03-17 9:18 AM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut

I agree with every thing you are saying on bike intensity, After riding all winter with local roadies, the only way to get fast on the bike in my opinion is ride fast and hard. If you ride long and slow the only thing you are learning to do is getting good at riding/racing long and slow.

This year I have decided to use an Endurance Nation power plan for IM Mooo, they espouse bulding fast then building far on top of that for the Bike leg of an Ironman. Rides have lots of FTP drills and riding at an Intensity factor at .8 - .85 i.e. Half IM pacing for the remainder of the ride. I am already sooo much stronger on the bike than where I ended last year.....

They also advocate the same approach to running which I am not so convinced on, even though run leg is my strongest leg I find the recovery cost and the risk of injury a disensentive to training this way. It is only my second season so maybe I just need 1 more year of long endurance runs to build the miles and strength to enable the speed training on the back of increased base. Would be interested in anyones thoughts?

2008-03-17 9:25 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Thanks for that! You are very correct.

I know for me, I have a huge challenge with intensity.... on group rides where I have no control of the speed. I see this as a limiting factor in my training, and I recognize it. There are rides where I'm going too slow, and at the end of it, I know that it was probably wasted time on the bike.

The other limiting factor is for me is that I have yet to do a Max HR test. So I have no clue what my zones are. Sure, I wear one, I log my HR, but other than that... eh, it's just there.

I have thought about doing a test, but I get so confused by what I read. I need to find someone who can help me do one.

I guess that's my next thing to do. A max HR test.
2008-03-17 9:25 AM

User image

Master
St. Louis
I like this thread... I think it hits on a point that seems to reverberate through BT all the time. The whole "train slow to be fast" mentality. I think this is the first time I have heard a lot of the "experts" on here talking about the benefits of training hard.

This is the conundrum of BT... trying to be appropriate for the beginner as well as the seasoned triathlete. Its best for beginners to be training at a fairly low intensity to allow their bodies to adapt to the rigors of triathlon, and avoid injury. Its also best for the athlete, with massive amounts of time, to train at the lower intensities do that they can get that "huge base" that everyone is after. However... most of us are somewhere in the middle of this.

For me, I find my most effective means of training is to train at an intensity which, on average, is as high as possible over the maximum amount of days I train. Im an Oly guy, and train about 8-11 hours a week. For me, what this means is that most days can be spent at pretty high intensity, but I have to back off a couple days for recovery. If I go too hard one day, it means the next day suffers, and the average of the two days comes out ok. If I train "easy" 2 days in a row, my average comes down.. and I dont feel the benefit of it. I think for the average AG athlete this method works pretty well... this method of "averaging your intensity."

*I have no experience training for an IM, but I aspire to in 2 years.*
2008-03-17 9:49 AM
in reply to: #1275637

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-03-17 9:53 AM
in reply to: #1275636

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut

KSH - 2008-03-17 9:25 AM Thanks for that! You are very correct. I know for me, I have a huge challenge with intensity.... on group rides where I have no control of the speed. I see this as a limiting factor in my training, and I recognize it. There are rides where I'm going too slow, and at the end of it, I know that it was probably wasted time on the bike. 

I hear you last year I rode with a group of 5 - 6 guy's, great guy's, one or two would always be late wheels up was always 30 minutes after agreed time. We would always stop for a 10 minute break at a coffee shop and a lot of the time would be chatting and riding slowly. This year I am riding by myself, the only person I have to blame for a session is myself. Does get lonely but my sessions are way more focused now....

2008-03-17 9:58 AM

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Ride lots.  Ride hard.  I think I've said this before. 

It is much easier to use intensity on the bike (or swim) versus the run.  And carries far less risk in terms of injuries.  I trained last year for IMLP (and continue to do so this year with no IM on the calendar) with lots of rides 'shorter' than many people, but at much higher effort levels.  In fact, except for some race rehersal rides, I would say that most of my riding was much harder than IM intensity.  It works for me because I simply can't put the time on the bike during much of the year (weather, family, etc.) to get enough training stimulii at IM-pace.  But I can still build up the engine and teach it how to go hard.  As race day approaches, then I can layer going far on top of that over several weeks (mostly just adapting to long stretches in aero while putting out IM watts and practicing fueling at that pace).

My ride at IMLP was the easiest effort of my entire training plan.

2008-03-17 10:18 AM
in reply to: #1275535

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

amiine - 2008-03-17 9:36 AM IM specific training (rides 4+ hrs) should be performed at zone 2 and preferably done at the upper level of this range. When the schedule calls for a shorter session 2-3 hrs then the intensity should be a bit higher between Z2 and Z3, shorter than 2 hrs Z3 and shorter than 1 hr Z4. This is oversimplified but the idea is that the shorter you ride the harder you go (except for recovery sessions) and this will be a better bang for your training time.

This is what I do, but in layman's terms ........ long rides are fast ..... medium rides are faster ...... short rides are painful .......

(Now if I could just get my azz out there more and do it more!!)

What is interesting for me is that for running I tend to be a lot more methodical and rigid in my workouts and my pacing.  But on the bike it is ride as hard as I can for whatever given distance I'm going, but my HR rarely reflects that on the bike.  Even in my HIM I only averaged the upper range of Z3 (by HR).  On the bike I am more limited by my "muscular endurance" (I know everyone hates that term, but it is the best descriptor for it for me) and not by my aerobic capacity.  Quite simply, my legs can't keep up with my heart/lungs because I'm not getting the volume of riding that I need/would like to have for the paces I want to push.

2008-03-17 10:38 AM
in reply to: #1275773

Elite
New City, New York

Good post Bryan. Certainly provides food for thought. 

I'm forutnate to train on terrain similar to LP (my IM) so my intensity is generally where it should be. Unfortunatley, my speed is not where I'd like it to  be

2008-03-17 10:51 AM
in reply to: #1275535

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
amiine - 2008-03-17 8:36 AM

Let’s assume an athlete follow 5 training zones:
·          Zone 1 – Recovery/unload
·          Zone 2 – Endurance
·          Zone 3 – Tempo
·          Zone 4 – Lactate Threshold
·          Zone 5 – VO2 Max

IM specific training (rides 4+ hrs) should be performed at zone 2 and preferably done at the upper level of this range. When the schedule calls for a shorter session 2-3 hrs then the intensity should be a bit higher between Z2 and Z3, shorter than 2 hrs Z3 and shorter than 1 hr Z4. This is oversimplified but the idea is that the shorter you ride the harder you go (except for recovery sessions) and this will be a better bang for your training time. Following this the total training load (total strain on your body) should be equivalent. For those training with a power meter and using A Coggan training stress score (TSS) this is rather simple to follow.

Yes, thank you Jorge, this is what I was trying to get to. As I siad, it's seems a lot of Zone1-low Zone 2 stuff happens when a high Zone 2 can be safely held and provides a much better adaptation.
2008-03-17 10:59 AM
in reply to: #1275868

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Z1 low Z2 = recovery in my eyes ....... doesn't make sense to me to do long rides like that unless you are working on building your long range overall endurance at the beginning of the season.  Except if you plan on racing at that intensity to "save it" for the run.  And there's nothing wrong with that approach either except you are taking a risk that you will still have something left for the run.
2008-03-17 11:09 AM
in reply to: #1275707

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
jamesG - 2008-03-17 9:53 AM

KSH - 2008-03-17 9:25 AM Thanks for that! You are very correct. I know for me, I have a huge challenge with intensity.... on group rides where I have no control of the speed. I see this as a limiting factor in my training, and I recognize it. There are rides where I'm going too slow, and at the end of it, I know that it was probably wasted time on the bike. 

I hear you last year I rode with a group of 5 - 6 guy's, great guy's, one or two would always be late wheels up was always 30 minutes after agreed time. We would always stop for a 10 minute break at a coffee shop and a lot of the time would be chatting and riding slowly. This year I am riding by myself, the only person I have to blame for a session is myself. Does get lonely but my sessions are way more focused now....

Group rides can be very detremential to good training. I once posted that I did approximately 0 group rides when I was training for IM. It required too many comprmises that I wasn't willing to make. My observation was that training for Ironman should be as lonely as the race itself.

2008-03-17 11:17 AM

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

I'll disagree a little there ........

I do the Princeton Sport's training rides on Tuesday nights once they start them back up on the Columbia Triathlon course.  I do a warm up to get to the meeting place, ride off the front with the fast roadies and really push my comfort zone big time to stay with the front few guys and then turn off when we get near my house and ride a warm down home.  This gives me a 33 mile ride with about 18 or so at Olympic/Sprint pace for me, which is an awesome high intensity workout.  But I also plan on that for my Tuesday workout so it has a specific purpose.

Doing a long group ride I can understand the apprehension and would shy away from them as well, but shorter stuff can have it's place if you have the right group dynamic.  That ride I do typically has anywhere from 40 - 100 people in it, and there are some very strong riders in the group.  For those that don't want to push it, they just have to enable a little self control.

2008-03-17 11:21 AM

Extreme Veteran
Good thread...interesting to read. I know I struggle with working hard enough on the bike. I have been trying to get on the bike more frequently and going harder even though it has been for shorter rides...45-60 minutes (unfortunately because of weather everything is on the trainer so far this year) . Even my weekend longer ride I have been trying to increase the intensity. My challenge will be to put in the same effort level when I get outside and increase the time of my rides. I am only doing Half's this year but hope to do another IM next year and want to increase my mph.

2008-03-17 11:27 AM

Champion
MA

I do all my long rides with some portion at IM watts. I'm just over 4 months from IMLP and my long rides are 50 miles with first 20 at aerobic watts and last 30 miles at IM watts. We are still dialing in my IM watts as the last few long rides have seen low HR with high end of my watt range which is good so we are bumping watts up a bit. Part of practicing pacing helps with making adjustments based on how you are doing that day..HR up or down, watts up or down, all compared with RPE.

It does take focus to keep at right intensity for last portion. I could not do my long rides in a group ride situation as I need better focus and control over how I ride.

My other 2 rides a week vary from intervals just under my FTP to hard short hill repeats over my FTP. I do have one fun ride a week too.

2008-03-17 1:22 PM

Master
St. Louis
I do some group rides... and for those who feel like they cant ride at the right pace... why dont you try to take the lead and pull the group? I do this, and it is definitely a good workout! If I want a less intense ride I step back and draft.

My GR is typically about 40 mi and I personally enjoy the camaradere and change of scenery the GR offers. I only do 1 GR per week, and I wouldnt reccommend doing more than 1 a week for tri training, but I think it is beneficial.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Intensity... Rss Feed  

of 4